Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great spread sheet, already picked up where I whent wrong with my last brew A+ A+ A+.. :D

Just a quick thing, I was looking at aprevious thread for a 2can brew listed below..

2 x 1.5kg Coopers LME tins (pale)
500g Dextrose
20g Centennial @ 30 min
40g Amarillo @ 20 min
40g Amarillo @ 10 min

Total 31 IBU

OG 1058

Pitch Nottingham (would probably work well with US-05 too) and keep the temps under 20 degrees.

FG 1013

As it states the total IBU is 31, I put the method into the calculator and it gave me 91 IBU, am I missing something??
As per the Graph below bitterness increases expedentially after 15min boil (Approx) where as the IBU is affected immediatly.
IS This correct or should the IBU be less affected at 1 - 15min boil.

Again great excel sheet :) :) very impressed

Sorry but I cannot match your numbers. If I put the ingredients into the spreadsheet I have to have a volume of 19 litres to get the OG and FG values, then I get an IBU of 65. If I increase the volume to 23 litres then the IBU value reduces to 54, but it is still way too hoppy.

As can be seen from your graph even short hop boil times contribute to the bitterness.

Thanks for that, no idea what I am missing..
I am also getting an error and debug when trying to add DEX into the inventory.

Ian,

Great effort with this spreadsheet. I'm trying my first extract brew based on this and am hopeful my Bock will come out close to the real thing.

However, v 2.2 locks up on my consistently and when I try to save a recipe I get the following message - Compile error, can't find object or library, and then highlights Sub Newrecipe. I've set security to low but still no luck. I am running Office 2003.

Any suggestions?

cobber

Ian,

Great effort with this spreadsheet. I'm trying my first extract brew based on this and am hopeful my Bock will come out close to the real thing.

However, v 2.2 locks up on my consistently and when I try to save a recipe I get the following message - Compile error, can't find object or library, and then highlights Sub Newrecipe. I've set security to low but still no luck. I am running Office 2003.

Any suggestions?

cobber

Sent a pm

Looks like a good spreadsheet, thanks to all involved for the work put into this!
I made a start on something similar 6 months ago, but is no where as neat as this.

I've got V2.2 and Excel 2003 and I'm having macro errors. They started off by going to the debugger, so I carried on anyway with my recipe. Saved the file and now clicking the macro buttons cause it to freeze. Must be something I'm doing wrong?

Just tried to save as per a post above and it won't let me save either.

Looks like a good spreadsheet, thanks to all involved for the work put into this!
I made a start on something similar 6 months ago, but is no where as neat as this.

I've got V2.2 and Excel 2003 and I'm having macro errors. They started off by going to the debugger, so I carried on anyway with my recipe. Saved the file and now clicking the macro buttons cause it to freeze. Must be something I'm doing wrong?

Just tried to save as per a post above and it won't let me save either.

Hi Superdave

This is part of my PM to Cobber

If you have Excel with the spreadsheet open. Pressing the Alt and F11 keys should bring up Visual Basic where the macros run.

Under the tools menu select references, should have ticks in Microsoft Excel, Office, Forms and Word Object Libraries plus a tick in Visual Basic for applications. I also have a tick in OLE automation, don't think you need this.

If you are missing any of the above go down the list and but a tick in the appropriate box. I think you will have one or more of these missing.

To check how the macro runs. Close the Visual Basic. Under the Tools menu, Select Macros and Macros again, I think brings up a list of macros, select Saverecipe and edit. This should bring up the Saverecipe macro, if you have the cursor at the start of the macro and press the F8 key it should take you one step at at time through the macro.

There have been a few problems running the spreadsheet on Excel XP and 2003, but I no longer have access to these versions to check things out. Carry out the above and if you are still having problems PM me.

cheers

Ian

Love ya work ianh, i've been having similar problems, i'll check this out.

Awesome spreadsheet!! Have just played around with a few ingredients for my first attempt at an extract brew. Just wondering if its possible to have a third row for extracts as there seems to be a few recipes around with three different extracts.
cheers

Awesome spreadsheet, ianh!

Just wondering, in the next version could you include Citra hops. Thanks.

The only thing the hops really affect (as far as the calcs go) is the AA%.
You can either change it on the main sheet (I think?), or overwrite one of the hops on the hop worksheet that you may not use.

mine wont let me change it I just leave the name blank and put in the AA% it still calculates the IBU of it

Very nice spreadsheet. From the number of revisions and the amount of information in it, it's obvious you've put a fair bit of time on. Very nice work. Cheers.

Any chance of putting a link of your latest version on post #1 so it's easier to find for new brewers?

Hi all, this post may have been better made at the "biggest cock-ups whilst brewing" topic.......

I grabbed a recipe for my first extract brew, based loosely around a beer i had tasted at my LHBS, brewers choice, and i think i buggered it up totally by altering it using the spreadsheet being discussed, maybe someone could pls check what i have done!!

Recipe:

Morgans Extra Pale LME
1kg LDME
100g Caramunich
100g CaraAroma
300g Belgian Candi sugar
100g Brown Sugar
Styrian Goldings 30grams 4.8AA - 60 mins
Saaz 30g 2.5AA - 1 min
T-58 Safbrew Ale Yeast

I only got 12.7 IBU from the sheet with an 8 litre boil volume and 22 litre total volume, so decided to throw in an extra 30g Styrian Goldings for 30 mins for 22.6 IBU which is more the target range. What does everyone else get? Am i using the sheet incorrecty?

First tastings out of the fermenter it is way too bitter, quite alarming given the cost of the brew and how much i have been looking fwd to it!! Maybe i am tasting the brew down in the bottom of the fermenter where some loose hops ended up, i forgot to strain the wort!

Any help much appreciated - Cheers.

Mick.

What's your boil volume?
Did you use the Hop Concentration Factor HCF?
I had a similar problem at first with the spreadsheet, it's posted somewhere if you wanna read back in the thread.

Hi all, this post may have been better made at the "biggest cock-ups whilst brewing" topic.......

I grabbed a recipe for my first extract brew, based loosely around a beer i had tasted at my LHBS, brewers choice, and i think i buggered it up totally by altering it using the spreadsheet being discussed, maybe someone could pls check what i have done!!

Recipe:

Morgans Extra Pale LME
1kg LDME
100g Caramunich
100g CaraAroma
300g Belgian Candi sugar
100g Brown Sugar
Styrian Goldings 30grams 4.8AA - 60 mins
Saaz 30g 2.5AA - 1 min
T-58 Safbrew Ale Yeast

I only got 12.7 IBU from the sheet with an 8 litre boil volume and 22 litre total volume, so decided to throw in an extra 30g Styrian Goldings for 30 mins for 22.6 IBU which is more the target range. What does everyone else get? Am i using the sheet incorrecty?

First tastings out of the fermenter it is way too bitter, quite alarming given the cost of the brew and how much i have been looking fwd to it!! Maybe i am tasting the brew down in the bottom of the fermenter where some loose hops ended up, i forgot to strain the wort!

Any help much appreciated - Cheers.

Mick.

Your hop schedule looks fine even after adding the extra Goldings (I am assuming a boil volume in the vacinity of 5L). The impact of hops (be it bitterness, flavour or aroma) generally lessens over time so I wouldn't worry too much. How long after putting the brew down did you taste it? Give it some weeks and I bet it will taste better and less bitter.

But yeah the HCF toggle in the spreadsheet makes it use different equations for calculating IBUs, and the answers can differ quite a bit. For my extract brews I use HCF = Yes, as I've heard that equation is commonly used for extract brews and small boil volumes, while All Grain brewers tend to use the other calculation. The fact is there is no right or wrong calculation, just pick one, stick to it and learn to understand what the numbers mean from tasting your brews.

I turn the HCF off for my 9 litre boil volumes and my brews are balanced to me.

Back