Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just a quick question.... but first.... great spreadsheet

i just put drSmurtos golden down and put the info into spreadsheet. http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showtopic=21927

just not to sure if ive put it all in right. my og is a little lower than it should be according to recipe and fg a little higher than it should be. could someone just double check this recipe for me cause id say most likely i am just inputting it wrong. thanks guys

just a quick question.... but first.... great spreadsheet

i just put drSmurtos golden down and put the info into spreadsheet. http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showtopic=21927

just not to sure if ive put it all in right. my og is a little lower than it should be according to recipe and fg a little higher than it should be. could someone just double check this recipe for me cause id say most likely i am just inputting it wrong. thanks guys

I get it pretty much spot on using the extract recipe. Remeber the recipe is for a 20L batch size. ;)

.....ok then i stuffed up

did a 23 lt batch size. woops

is that gunna throw shit off a bit or should i dump another 300grams of LME in or something? it only started fermenting this morn

I know you can add things in after it's started fermenting but I've never done it so I can't comment sorry. Others can advise how to go about this.

It's not that bad. The end result will just be down on abv% and a bit thinner but I wouldn't be too worried as you might not even tell that it's watered down.

G'day,

Just a question in regards to the hop utilisation feature in the spreadsheet.

I've just sampled a brew that was concocted using the spreadsheet and I think the balance of bitterness to malt is quite a way off. I didn't have the utilisation factor turned on for that recipe.

I've got an Cascade based IPA recipe in the pipeline. OG 1056, FG 1012. Hop additions are 20g Cascade @ 60mins, 20g @ 40mins, 20g @ 20mins and 20g @10 mins. (Mind you I'll play around with the times of the last two additions.)

Thing is. With the concentration factor turned off on a 4L boil the IBU is pretty much 50, turning the HCF on drops that IBU to 23.8 which is WAYYY too low for my liking.

With the HCF on I really have to step up the hop additions to get the desired 50IBU's. I'm not fussed with that.

I'd really like to make this recipe nice and hoppy due to the hop profile of my last brew getting masked by malt.

So Ian. Do I go with the HCF on for a 4L boil? I read in your posts that before you started doing 10L boils you used the HCF.

Cheers,

Adam.

G'day,

Just a question in regards to the hop utilisation feature in the spreadsheet.

I've just sampled a brew that was concocted using the spreadsheet and I think the balance of bitterness to malt is quite a way off. I didn't have the utilisation factor turned on for that recipe.

I've got an Cascade based IPA recipe in the pipeline. OG 1056, FG 1012. Hop additions are 20g Cascade @ 60mins, 20g @ 40mins, 20g @ 20mins and 20g @10 mins. (Mind you I'll play around with the times of the last two additions.)

Thing is. With the concentration factor turned off on a 4L boil the IBU is pretty much 50, turning the HCF on drops that IBU to 23.8 which is WAYYY too low for my liking.

With the HCF on I really have to step up the hop additions to get the desired 50IBU's. I'm not fussed with that.

I'd really like to make this recipe nice and hoppy due to the hop profile of my last brew getting masked by malt.

So Ian. Do I go with the HCF on for a 4L boil? I read in your posts that before you started doing 10L boils you used the HCF.

Cheers,

Adam.
Hi Adam

Sorry for delay in replying been away for a week. You are experiencing what I found that with low hop boil volumes it is hard to get the right bitterness balance. I did use the HCF for small boil volumes but still had problems. So with a 4 litre boil I would use the HCF as I think it is nearer the mark, but would strongly recommend going to say 10 litre boils and not using the HCF.

Hope that helps.

cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian!

I figured as much. The second brew I made using the spreadsheet was kit-based so I had a bit more room for error.

I'm looking at buying a big pot soon so I can do full-volume boils. Mind you..a Big W pot capable of 10L boils wouldn't stretch the budget too much.

Hopefully the stout I put down last weekend with Fuggles hops is balanced!

Hey,

Why when adding a kit the IBU wont change when you put a different volume??? I can work it out myself but just thought I would let you know. I working out the coopers real ale and its 30.4 IBU on both 23lts and 25lts even if you put 50lts it still says 30.4 IBU. Oh the EBC does not change ether.

Hi Mine changes with changing volume Real Ale 30.4 for 23l and 28.0 for 25l. Have you got your calculations set to manual, try Shift and F9 see if that fixes it.

cheers

Ian
Hey,

Why when adding a kit the IBU wont change when you put a different volume??? I can work it out myself but just thought I would let you know. I working out the coopers real ale and its 30.4 IBU on both 23lts and 25lts even if you put 50lts it still says 30.4 IBU. Oh the EBC does not change ether.

I am using open office as I have linux but it says some macros disabled as they may contain viruses or some crap. The hop additions change with different volumes. As I say I can work it out and am not fussed just thought I would let you know. If it works fine threw excel then thats cool :p will have to see if I can find how to enable all macros and see if it works, done it ages ago before changing OS

Ok dont mind me I was looking at the IBU box not calculated IBU :rolleyes: would of thought the IBU box would change as well as it does for hop boils lol

I'm using puppy Linux due to only having access to a laptop which probably wasn't state of the art 10 years ago. It seems to work OK on here. The only problems I've had are using the original version from the original post up until a couple of minutes ago due to just downloading & not reading all 13 pages of the thread. I also can't read the original notes but can read them for the updates. It doesn't have all of the hops I use but I can just enter them in easily enough & type in the AA%.

All things considered, this is an ultra handy tool for anyone who has a can opener as an essential part of their brewing equipment.

Yeah I downloaded it again, Not sure if you updated it Ianh or I saved it wrong the first time but the first one only had one page and this one has several and seems better. only thing is every time i change something it opens another page and says

BASIC runtime error.
'423'
Property or method not found.

but everything seems to update on the page. Also I cannot save or load recipes I have to save it under a file name to be able to reopen it. Maybe I will try install the newer version of open office.

I think the spreadsheet on puppy Linux is called gnumeric although don't quote me on that. May be worth trying something other than open office that will still work on Linux.

but everything seems to update on the page. Also I cannot save or load recipes I have to save it under a file name to be able to reopen it. Maybe I will try install the newer version of open office.

I am having issues with compatibility under open office as well. Anyone proficient with Open Office?

Trying to use the buttons on the bottom screen like "new recipe" or "save recipe"

and I get this message

a scripting framework error occurred while running the basic script......

Library:'standard'
Module"'module3'
method:'inventory'

I am having issues with compatibility under open office as well. Anyone proficient with Open Office?

Trying to use the buttons on the bottom screen like "new recipe" or "save recipe"

and I get this message

a scripting framework error occurred while running the basic script......

Library:'standard'
Module"'module3'
method:'inventory'

Same for me in open office, it's to do with the macro's not being compatible i was told.

Any idea how to put something like brown sugar into a recipe using this spread sheet?

Ok I am using this on Excel now all works well but if I input AA% for a recipe then load a saved recipe it will apply the AA% I put in the previous recipe. Ie: saved a pride of ringwood recipe with 9.8%AA then put one in for saaz C 3.6% AA then saved that I then loaded the pride of ringwood and wondered why it was only 10IBU but noticed the hops where at 3.6% AA so changed and saved then loaded the one with saaz c and it was 9.8% AA :S.

any one else get this?

Ok I am using this on Excel now all works well but if I input AA% for a recipe then load a saved recipe it will apply the AA% I put in the previous recipe. Ie: saved a pride of ringwood recipe with 9.8%AA then put one in for saaz C 3.6% AA then saved that I then loaded the pride of ringwood and wondered why it was only 10IBU but noticed the hops where at 3.6% AA so changed and saved then loaded the one with saaz c and it was 9.8% AA :S.

any one else get this?
It would seem as though your spreadsheet is not updating calculations. If you look at the Hop cells and Column "E" it should update to whatever %AA for the hop in Column "B". Try pressing F9 or if that does not work Ctrl-Alt-F9 should fix it.

cheers

Ian

Back