Kiss Approach To P.h Adjustment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing to watch out for is the buffering affect of chlorine. It will hold the ph level high, so you need to filter tap water or at the very least boil it to get rid of the chlorine.

Hi,

I have not heard of this effect before. Do you know of any links where we can read about it?

Hi Blackbock,

I can not remember where I heard about chlorine having a buffering effect, think it was a mate that works at CSIRO. Can't seem to find anything about it on the web, in fact a lot of articles ( mostly dealing with the use of chlorine as a sanitizer ) seem to suggest it should make it more acidic.

Seemed to make a lot of sense to me at the time, as I was having a lot of issues with all of my lighter colored beers and astringency issues, and some medicinal flavours.

When I finally got a ph measuring kit I did indeed find the ph was too high ( in the 6 range ) and started to leave my water uncovered for 24hrs then boil it.

These days I just filter it with a carbon filter, which seems to do the trick.

Back