Kirin Holdings To Buy Out Lion Nathan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are an Australian aren't you????
TP

Someone asked me this not that long ago and it confused the hell out of me, as far as i'm aware i spose i am. But so what if i wasnt. I still find that episode of faulty towers hilarious. Like plenty of other aussies.

On ANZAC day i think i'll drink Lowenbrau. They just got a tap installed at my local.

Interesting point fourstar, didn't think about how it would affect James Squire.

I dont know how to take this, how does my post affect JS?

OR

Interesting Point, back to the topic " didn't think about how it would affect James Squire" RE: the OP.

Either way it will be interesting for JS. They probabaly wont even feel the ripple, atleast thats what i'd think they'd be hoping.

Who knows, The Butterfly Effect may just take down Fosters group too. Then i'd be smelling rice lagers being brewed on a daily basis!

Who knows, The Butterfly Effect may just take down Fosters group too.

The band or the theory ? :unsure:

It's a shame that these huge multinationals take over smaller coompanies, but it's happening across the board with all that we consume. Vast profits are the only key focus in this day & age.

Keeping the topic on beer, I was recently in Laos, where their BeerLao is a point of great national pride. Sadly, many local don't realise that the company stakes are now 1/2 owned by Carlsberg, who I suspect are trying to make serious inroads into Asia. In a country what would seriously benefit from an ongoing 'home grown' industry where all the profits are kept within Laos (its one of the poorest nations in the world), it's a shame that these global concerns come in and snap up a thriving business not for any moral concern for the people, but simply to extend their worldwide profit margins.

We can dismiss these takeovers and take the simple mindset of 'oh well, that's life in the new global economy', but it still sucks. Ultimately, the Beerlao brewery will no doubt be a 100% Carlsberg concern in a few years, and while it's still providing jobs for a few, most of the money's going offshore, not to mention a national product icon being stripped from it's rightful heritage.

Ah well, we lost Vegemite years ago here in Australia, so we should be used to this cold-hearted business strategy by now.

Maybe the guys at Kirin actually like beer, and so when the big manager types arrive in Australia post-takeover, they sample all of the beers Lion Nathan make.

They'll naturally spit out Tooheys New and XXXX and all that crap and think 'What have we got ourselves into', but then they'll try some James Squire and be mighty impressed. They'll divert money from the true megaswill and pump it into making James Squire higher capacity without compromising on flavour, and even start exporting it to the world. Also they'll build a James Squire brewpub within walking distance to me, and start selling pints for $1 due to putting pressure on the government to piss their taxes off.

A man can dream :lol:

We can't take your dreams away frm you, but the fact are that the shittier the beer, the higher the profit margin.

Let the Japanesie`s have LN and Fosters. They might choke on it.
Once our megaswill breweries are in foreign hands the government might open their eyes too the unjust tax treatment of micros and the ever increasing market share that craftbeer is gaining in this country.
If JS folds, makes shite beer aww well I couldnt give a flying, the last time I visit Dan Murphys there are dozens of great aussie. beers on the shelf with dozens more in the process of being there.

Please stay on topic, follow the forum guidelines and avoid vulgarity.

Off shore already aint itvia NZ parent??

Scotty

Here's another positive: Kirin isnt just taking these assets. They have negotiated with shareholders to buy them out.

These shareholders will end up with a tidy pile of money, and, one would assume, an interest in brewing and beverage manufacture.

Perhaps this money will find its way into new capital and the development of a new brewing company. If not brewing, Im sure that many of the shareholders who are being bought out will be astute enough to reinvest the proceeds in some other form of productive capital.

JC
A hole in your theory would be that many 'investors' in companies the size of LN are institutional investors, super funds and the like.
They will likely reinvest in top 50 type companies shares, very little, if any, will go into new ventures of any kind.

Nige

Hang on a sec JS has ALWAYS been owned by Lion Nathan. There have been a few misplaced nostalgics suggesting that their beers were great before LN took over. (althought it is fair to say that their beer quality dropped when some of their range was brewed out at Lidcome instead of at the Malt Shovel)

Not sure I am all together happy taking the 'defend Ln position', but weren't they the first brewery ouside the czech republic to win a gold medal in the Bohemian Pils category at the World Beer Cup (just 12 mths ago). Don't think it was a coincidence that this coincided with the Pils being brewed back at the Malt Shovel again. :super:

Lion Nathan agrees to Kirin takeoverApril 27, 2009 - 9:29AM
The directors of the brewer Lion Nathan Ltd have agreed to sell to the Japanese company Kirin.

According to Australia's second-biggest brewer, Kirin will pay the equivalent of $12.22 for each share it does not already own.

The price includes $11.50 per share to be paid by Kirin, and another 72 cents to be paid by Lion Nathan as a fully-franked cash component.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-busin...90427-ajq7.html

Back