Kirin Holdings To Buy Out Lion Nathan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are an Australian aren't you???? Enjoy your beers on ANZAC DAY.

As are the 1000's of Australian Italians who migrated here after WWII. Not to mention copious amounts of Japanese women who wed diggers.

War does crazy things to people, It was the Ideal's of the countries leaders, not necessarily the people. Don't go to war? Die with the Jews, Pols and the rest of them in concentration camps was a perfect example.

For me, ANZAC day is a day to not only remember the ANZACs who 'delivered us from evil' but to also acknowledge those who lost their lives at WWI, WWI, vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan, IRAQ, the list goes on. Not to get into a drunken mess and throw blame on those who took their lives. Remember, we returned and initiated fire and left just as many widows in our wake too.

Lest we forget all......

As are the 1000's of Australian Italians who migrated here after WWII. Not to mention copious amounts of Japanese women who wed diggers.

War does crazy things to people, It was the Ideal's of the countries leaders, not necessarily the people. Don't go to war? Die with the Jews, Pols and the rest of them in concentration camps was a perfect example.

For me, ANZAC day is a day to not only remember the ANZACs who 'delivered us from evil' but to also acknowledge those who lost their lives at WWI, WWI, vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan, IRAQ, the list goes on. Not to get into a drunken mess and throw blame on those who took their lives. Remember, we returned and initiated fire and left just as many widows in our wake too.

Lest we forget all......
Yes Hiroshima was a nice little tea party remember?

Thanks to World War 2 I don't have any older male relatives, even Dad died young from leukemia after being in Atom Bomb testing in the USA. However he did meet Mam whilst they were both in the air force so I wouldn't be here would I.

Lion Nathan are actually a fairly small setup by international standards, it just seems big to us from our point of view. What's the bet that in a few years Intermegasuperbrew conglomerate will buy Kirin, or that Kirin may even sell Lion Nathan to Interemeg. A similar smaller scale thing happened when San Miguel bought Boags then sold it to Lion.

Look what happened in the UK where nearly all the old big six breweries who controlled most production since the 1960s have been swallowed up by Inbev and Heineken who are ruthlessly closing down centuries old breweries. I reckon the takeover tsunami has only just started, Heineken to buy Fosters anyone ?

Not too sure Fosters are trying to offload their brewing interests at the moment, think they would much rather be shot of their wineries.
And I've read lately somewhere that some smaller brewers in the UK are buying brands from the likes of S&N etc. and making a go of selling good old cask ales.

Nige

Yes Hiroshima was a nice little tea party remember?

<_< ...... Not to mention the US had only recently given Japan the 'go-ahead' to resume military operations if need be. They will need to change their constitution however to get this rolling. I'd hate to be stuck between China, North Korea and Russia close by with nothing but stones to defend yourself with! I'm sure the US will help them out after IRAQ is done and dusted.... :rolleyes:

I remember why i posted this link now. :rolleyes:

To pose the serious question on whether Kirin Holdings increasing their share in LN from 41% to 100% would change the JS beers?

Its been noted that the JS range has slipped a few notches i quality since LN took them over, just wondering if people thought that standard might slip further.

Hmm, it's difficult to really guess. They were toned down because it had this ghastly thing called 'flavour' in it, and they wanted to make sure it was more accessible. It's reached this medium now so I would imagine that the people in charge would be happy (what gives me the feeling that the special edition beers are to shut the brewers up?). Whether the new overlords will be happy, remains to be seen.

wont it meant we'll get all their cheap imported crap and they will flog off watered down LN beer?

bloody hell another company gone. You never know they might set up seperate subsidaries and leave LN or at least JS with a seperate board. not likely but possible. I mean what the hell would Japan know about what sort of beer we like? It like us going over there and telling them how to make saki.

although maybe we get cheaper saki now through LN? what would be good. its hidiously expensive here.

Trying to be positive here- maybe they'll just buy it for the cashflow but not really give two hoots about it (and ignore it) because it's so small?

I did like the JS beers, multinationals do tend to look for shortcuts and profit takers. Then again Kirrinbichi is not a bad brew.
Look it's inevitable that some companies are looking for capital acquisition in this economic climate.
I guess if it's a choice between that or companies going under i would prefer to keep jobs.....

As for the OT debate, i am as patriotic as it comes, i had relatives on Kokoda and Pacific engagements.
My grandfather wouldn't even own a Jap transistor radio and gave dad hell when he bought one.
BUT i have been to Japan and Germany, i have friends in both countries and i can tell you that the mention of the atomic bomb to a local from Nagasaki over a few rice wine's gave me a human insight to what war was like for them. As for the krauts, my German mate there says that most modern Germans carry that guilt very heavily.
War is hell.

Don't bog down a great beer forum on politics, we could target Sri Lanka, Former Yugoslavia, Iraq, Afganistan, N Ireland, Somalia, India/Pakistan, there are a hundred wars and 500 points of view....

wont it meant we'll get all their cheap imported crap and they will flog off watered down LN beer?

bloody hell another company gone. You never know they might set up seperate subsidaries and leave LN or at least JS with a seperate board. not likely but possible. I mean what the hell would Japan know about what sort of beer we like? It like us going over there and telling them how to make saki.

although maybe we get cheaper saki now through LN? what would be good. its hidiously expensive here.

Almost right... but wouldn't the cheap, imported crap then be brewed here :rolleyes:

how do you reduce the quality of west end ????

overpeiced, meh quality Asahi, brewed in Victoria and sold for made in Japan prices!! :icon_drool2:

What an interesting thread. It's got just about everything now. Any further OT and it'll need a LOLcat or two. I'll refrain for now.

I'd be surprised if much was to actually happen because of a purchase. Kirin already have a 46% stake in LN as it is. If LN are still making money (and I'd be sure that the wine side of business is booming) then it's a profitable venture. Especially with the other big boys buying up everything else (AB-Inbev, etc). Asahi have a 20% stake in Fosters, but they don't do much with it except now they have a good import route. I'd imagine Kirin will suddenly be appearing on more shelves.

As for JS changing - I doubt it. Well, I doubt it will change because of this, Malt Shovel seem to be doing an okay job of stuffing it up on their own. Perhaps with a bigger backing they won't need to resort to brewing good JS stuff under licence elsewhere. Perhaps not.

My $0.02

As for JS changing - I doubt it. Well, I doubt it will change because of this, Malt Shovel seem to be doing an okay job of stuffing it up on their own. Perhaps with a bigger backing they won't need to resort to brewing good JS stuff under licence elsewhere. Perhaps not.

My $0.02
Ain't this the truth? If JS were going to shelved what would I miss?

Trying to be positive here- maybe they'll just buy it for the cashflow but not really give two hoots about it (and ignore it) because it's so small?

Here's another positive: Kirin isnt just taking these assets. They have negotiated with shareholders to buy them out.

These shareholders will end up with a tidy pile of money, and, one would assume, an interest in brewing and beverage manufacture.

Perhaps this money will find its way into new capital and the development of a new brewing company. If not brewing, Im sure that many of the shareholders who are being bought out will be astute enough to reinvest the proceeds in some other form of productive capital.

Here's hoping that Kirin do close up JS, then Dig won't be secured by any 'confidentiality agreement' to keep the recipes from us. You know, the ones from when JS used to make something that you might actually drink even if there were other craft beers available, instead of as a last stop before Carlton Mids.

Back