Kirin: first pressed beer... Explain that!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beercus

Reaction score
Had one of these after work yesterday. I think it is a larger and was a pretty standard catpiss beer...

I though pressing was for BIABers and olive oil. Just a marketing ploy?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1416015160.989939.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1416015176.772420.jpg

Sounds a bit gimmicky to me. Sure, first runnings or no sparge methods have been used for centuries but generally to make high strength beers then scavenge the rest of the sugars to make weaker ones.
But for a megaswill brewery to use it to produce a lager? Pfffft. Maybe they use first runnings but there's nothing saying their not diluting it down the processing line. I can see some advertising gurus high fiving each other on a job well done.

Probably using a mash filter like a lot of breweries do such as coopers. Either way its marketing nonsense.

Having also seen this and looked it up on their website, yeah it's basically first runnings.

Wonder if it is 99% fat free and halal certified?

It's a bit naff in bottles but over the bar it's a nice drop, I've had it in Newcastle and also at the Chatswood RSL. It's nice and fresh, I wonder if they send it out filtered but not pasteurised. I'd guess the first pressings go to make this, then if they sparge again the next runnings possibly go towards another brew like Hahn Old Fart at the Bowls club Light or something similar?

You still 'sparge' with a mash filter. We run in 1800l of foundation (is about 6-7litres per kilo), run to the filter, once the majority is in then run in the last 600l and put on the squeeze.

I dare say it would also be high gravity brewed if that is the case ...

Is it common for mega beers to be brewed high Gravity and then adjusted down? What's the advantage of that? I guess it is super dooper efficiency.

Smaller system to produce more beer. When it's being exported and then bottled in the destination country it also saves on shipping. Ship a double strength beer in a tank, sell twice that amount in bottles. There may be other reasons I'm unaware of.

Also develops esters and they would not ship beer in tankers. Too many logistical issues, just make it, packit and ship it.

Brewing at high gravity then diluting is all about increasing capacity easily. Getting an extra 10% volume from the fermenters is quite a boost for no extra spend

/// said:
Also develops esters and they would not ship beer in tankers. Too many logistical issues, just make it, packit and ship it.
Shipping bladders, not tankers. I'll have to try to track down my reference.

djar007 said:
Do they export kirin from Australia?
From memory - this is what annoyed me most when I bought this beer years ago... import price tag, on closer inspection, brewed in Melbourne or some such domestic destination.

Back