Kegs Travelling With

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
My wife and I go north to warmer climes during winter and would like to our kegs with us, my question is can I lay a keg down in my 70 ltr 12volt fridge and just stand up carefully hook up to posts and pour, kegs will be already carbonated before we leave home.
Cheers John

....as long as they fit in your fridge - yes.

cheers ross

It might look a bit murky when you pour as well. But will taste just the same :)

Bloody hell I dont think a corny would come close to fitting in my 80L waeco! 9L kegs?

Once you cool them down you can wrap them up in those campers roll up foam bed things and they stay cool for a while.

All sounds good, it will fit komodo I have fridge mate which is longer than most fridges
Cheers John

I take my kegs camping all the time. What I usually do is fridge them then in the morning as we do the final packing the go into the wrapped in a towel or something like that. when we setup camp the kegs go into either a foam esky, (just a plain fish box type), with a circle cut out of the lid. Ice is poured around this and it keeps cool for a fair while. ***yes I'm tassie and yes its colder down here*** when the ice has melted you just put more in. the other thing i have tried is a colapsable material esky thing. suprisingly it doesn't take too long to cool a keg down to drinking temp using this method even if the keg has been l;eft in the sun ;)

I've transported kegs before (Chilled and Gased up) but not with the fridge.
just checked em in the back of the car and drove from Sydney to Gosford (1.5hrs) and put in Dad's keg fridge to drink and the weekend so he can enjoy my brew too.

Cart kegs all the time, recently 4 hrs to a family reunion at Gladstone. Have em gassed and cold, when you leave stick em in the car, when you get where you're going remove warm keg/kegs and sit in an esky with ice, need only chill the bottom half of the keg as that is where it draws from. Serve under suitable pressure depending upon tap and line length.

Cheers,

Screwy

Cart kegs all the time, recently 4 hrs to a family reunion at Gladstone. Have em gassed and cold, when you leave stick em in the car, when you get where you're going remove warm keg/kegs and sit in an esky with ice, need only chill the bottom half of the keg as that is where it draws from. Serve under suitable pressure depending upon tap and line length.

Cheers,

Screwy

Hi Screwy,
Sounds like a good idea, would this work OK over say a week? I've been thinking about how to efficiently store a 19L corny cold on a camping trip for say 5 days, but I have been thinking about keeping the whole keg cold.

Fear_n_Loath

All good ideas but need something more long term as away in the caravan for 3 months, but I think my fridge mate might be the go, bit of a nuisance having to stand up the keg all the time, but using your ideas should only have to do it once each session
Cheers John

Another thought to keep this simple as possible to drink beer, if the keg remained inthe horizontal with the dip tube modified to pick up where the side and bottom of the keg meet on the same side as the tube, hooked up to gas and tap, would this work.

Hi Screwy,
Sounds like a good idea, would this work OK over say a week? I've been thinking about how to efficiently store a 19L corny cold on a camping trip for say 5 days, but I have been thinking about keeping the whole keg cold.
Fear_n_Loath

anchored off and lying down in a stream would work! ;)

anchored off and lying down in a stream would work! ;)

fishing eildon last weekend the water temp was 17deg. the goulbourn was about the same.. too hot!

edit, yep would/does work.We store beer and deer and if we get lucky enough to nail one in icy waters of Dartmouth, Mitta Mitta

would a tempmate type setup in a fridge not work?. Keep the keg at ambient and just run it through the "jockeybox". If theres only one or two of you having a beer and your not sitting their trying to get hammered every session it would probably the more efficient use of fridge space.

all good then thought it should work, as for jockey box etc, already got enough shit in the cruiser without any more, could leave SHMBO at home. Only nthing I put in this fridge is beer anyway.
Cheers John

Latest posts

Back