Kegotator Mk2 Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh im sure there is somewhere in newcastle where i wont have to pay frieght!

do i need anything in it all? Im not going to freeze it. Its just going to be switched on to cool the font and lines of an arvo when im having a couple beers.

Might just run water in it and see how it goes.

cheers

IMO.. You'd be better off going with some food safe glycol, it has corrosion inhibitor built in.. With salt water and alloys, think boat engines and sea water... If you don't flush them, it usually attacks the brass welsh plugs and the aluminium... Not sure of the science, but others will chime in I expect.

Regarding the logic involved where two metals are in contact with a corrosive substance (like sea water)see the link below... This concept was used on ships to stop the hull from rusting out by attaching a piece of easily corroded metal to the hull, was termed a 'sacrificial anode'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrificial_anode

so.... glycol is probably better :icon_cheers:

disclaimer: never used glycol or sea water, don't have a flooded font!! :unsure:

if you get some chlorhexidine digluconate from the chemist, that'll stop any bugs/ mould etc from growing in it, it's non toxic IF you are human. If you know any bird breeders they will have some in the form of AVICLENSE. :icon_chickcheers:

I tried water in mine, it didn't work that well... The line between the pump and the font kept freezing when it wasn't working. I ended up getting the glycol from the FIL's pub. Go make friends with a publican, mate, and see if you can scrounge a bit... Or you could always save up some of the heads from your "water purification" system and dilute it to about 20% abv... shouldn't freeze then

There'll be plenty of options out there. I'd hit up your local pub, just know how much you'll need volume wise before you buy the cellar bloke his favourite tipple.

Or you could always save up some of the heads from your "water purification" system and dilute it to about 20% abv... shouldn't freeze then

Mmmmmm now your thinking. Maybe justa few bottles of metho in the mix??????

Im planning on putting down a wash through the week. thats a good idea.

cheers

Tony

You make me drool every time you post pics of your latest build.
I was almost getting a chest freezer for Christmas when I smashed my reading glasses. Time to start saving again. Maybe next Christmas I've been told. Until then looking at your freezer will have to suffice.

Drew

I was almost getting a chest freezer for Christmas when I smashed my reading glasses.

Mate...... i use beer goggles!

They make everything bad and stresfull in the world look great! :lol:

I got the gas manifolds constructed today. I built 2. One will be at about 90 kpa serving presure and the other will be at 250kpa carbonation pressure for the 50 liter kegs. They weigh almost as much as me full and i just cant shake them...... so its 250kpa for 48 hrs cold and there all good.

Just waiting on a few fittings to come in the mail that i didnt account for origionally and its a goer!

Will get a few bottles of metho for the font cooling on the way home tomorrow.

cheers

Well tonight is the night!

I stripped the keg fridge of keg and fittings, new lines on the fittings and put it all in the freezer.

Ran hot PBW through the lines and taps and the lines in the font went from yellow to white! LOVE THE PBW!!!!!

Dropped 2 x 50 liter kegs in cold..... one half full of Maibock and the other full of summer brown porter.

The freezer is dropping the temp fast with the circ fam running. Should have beer on tap tomorrow night.

Pics to come!

cheers

there will be........ its too late, i have to be up early and i need time to "blur" parts of the pictures :ph34r:

& Hide the Tooheys Spew bar mat :p

Awww... they're collectors items, winkle.. I have one just like it, athough it's hidden in the cupboard with the fat yak one that fell into my backpack on the last Sydney Pub crawl... :ph34r:

Gday tony i have the same sort of setup and played with the flooded idea but havent hooked it up yet,and the font stays cool and even sweats up due to being mounted in the lid.

:p

I grew up on that spew.... and at this point its all i have.

I will replace it with a VB Gold one as soon as i can find one on Ebay!

Will post some pics in a bit :)

cheers

Pictures as promised:

A Sweaty Cold Font

Floodedfont.jpg

Inside the freezer. I have had to double the length of the 5mm ID lins from the 4mmID line i was using in the fridge. There are still gas and beer lines to go in for 2 more corny kegs :)

Insidethefreezer.jpg

My home made and expandable gas manifold. Cheaper than the barbed ones on line and i can add or subtract to it as i please

GasManifolds.jpg

And just for you Winkle............ is this one better? I put the tooheys new one back anyway :)

Mat.jpg

cheers

hey tony that looks great, what happened to the other bar mat you didn't let them get to you did you

cheer's matho

Na mate its back......... i just did that for Winkle :p

Latest posts

Back