Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I cant find a grey deer....will a brown cow do?

I would accept a Hairy Coo but nothing else.

1200px-Cow_on_Pupers.jpg

But good pick up :) Funny story, when my daughter was little she couldn't say great idea and it came out as Grey Deer. So it's kind of worked it's way into my vocabulary.

Other memorable things that have worked into our vocabulary:

Boppin - bottom
F##k this - Brush teeth
F##k/F####r/Big F##ker - Truck

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries. We will investigate the 12V model options. This will be a bit more expensive as the 12v/240v compressors with suitable controller do add about $60 to the cost. So the standard 240 only model might be about $300 and the 12v/240v model would be about $360 or something like that.
Honestly worth the extra $60 for the flexibility of being able to use it in the house and in the middle of the high country. Pure heaven, The mountains in front pure water all around and beer on tap to boot.

Looking forward to these being ready for a test

No worries. We will investigate the 12V model options. This will be a bit more expensive as the 12v/240v compressors with suitable controller do add about $60 to the cost. So the standard 240 only model might be about $300 and the 12v/240v model would be about $360 or something like that.
Id definitely pay the extra $60 for the flexibility. Should be an awesome product

That's really good information!

When you say easy to fill...how did you fill it? Did you create any contraptions to hold the neck of the bladder or you didn't find that necessary?

Also grey deer about putting it on a mat to then drag it around. That would work wonderfully well for cubes as well! Genius!

I haven't used mine yet as I ran out of base malt, but feel a brew day coming up once the sacks of base malt turn up!
Just lay it on the floor facing away from the Urn, put the hose in the opening and let er rip. Had no issues at all - quite surprisingly.

I see in Germany you are you replacing all those FermZillas with defects, does this mean that we can expect the same opportunity for a refund or exchange in Australia?

German

English

Dear brewer, Today I will get in touch with you regarding the FermZilla you have purchased. The manufacturer KegLand has received a few complaints since the beginning of 2020 due to stress whitening (cracks) on the neck of the Zilla. You can see what that looks like in this example: image The possible affected tanks fall in the period 2021-08, 2021-09, 2021-10, 2021-11, 2021-12. The date is printed on your FermZilla: image KegLand has changed the shape as well as the production process to prevent the problem in the future. You can find more about the technical changes in this PDF. My request to you: Check your FermZilla on the neck for traces of stress whitening Check that one of the above periods is printed on your tank If you cannot see a defect, the device is perfectly usable. However, if you can see a whitening and the date of the tank falls within the period, contact us via email and we will then exchange the tank. For a quick processing we need: Image of white fracture Image of the date on the tank Invoice of the order I wish you a nice Sunday evening and remain with best regards. Jennifer Klein

I used these guys the other day: 10 x 20L Hot Fill Wine/Wort Cask Bladder - Hot Cube Alternative (Irradiated)

The good:
- Nice to throw out after you're done with it and not have to worry about cleaning
- Works the same as a cube.
- Surprisingly easy to fill.
- Easy to minimise oxygen if you don't quite fill up 20L - looks like it does a much better job than kicking the air out of a cube.

The not so good:
- Hot as shit, making it hard to move after filling. I was scared to drag it, so kind of flopped it over itself. Would fill on a matt next time so could just drag the matt + bag out of the way somewhere.
- Was pretty hard to put the lid on, but probably get used to that pretty quickly.
- Bit difficult to pour into the fermenter; made a bit of a mess so would recommend doing it outside. I did a beer without only a small amount 'cube' hops so I could pour straight in. If it had lots of cube hops, I don't know how you'd go filtering them out (I use a sieve normally).
- You're throwing out more plastic.

Overall, I like it except for the extra plastic usage, which does suck a bit.
Toss up between saving water (no cleaning) vs more plastic in the environment I guess.
What are the dimensions of the bladders?
Would they fit in a milk crate? If so would that help with moving it around, and perhaps even stacking.

Honestly worth the extra $60 for the flexibility of being able to use it in the house and in the middle of the high country. Pure heaven, The mountains in front pure water all around and beer on tap to boot.

Looking forward to these being ready for a test
Here here. Put me down as a tester too. I’d also be able to test this in hot outback areas on our trips

They do fit In a milk crate.

They also fit 25 Litres full to the brim!

Yes that's what I do to. I put mine in a milk crate while filling. We also cut a small piece of wood so the neck slots into this and this makes it easier to hold. It might be worth us also selling a wire handle or something that you guys can purchase separately.

Yes that's what I do to. I put mine in a milk crate while filling. We also cut a small piece of wood so the neck slots into this and this makes it easier to hold. It might be worth us also selling a wire handle or something that you guys can purchase separately.
I had a bit of trellis wire that I looped around the neck twice, which worked well.

So are any of you guys going to try no chill and fermenting in these things? Maybe 19-20L wort leave it in the milk crate, add dry yeast and a blow off when it cools. Then siphon to a keg when finished.

Back