Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the top malt screen and the overflow cone you have as spare parts for the gen 3 compatable with gen 2? Ive either misplaced the damn things somewhere or had too many beers one brewday and thrown them away with the spent grain!

The same two products arrived today, thanks for the prompt delivery. I thought that they were both underfills so while encouraging the liquid out of the measuring reservoir back in to the main part of the bottle (volumes were fine btw) I noticed that there was dampness under both caps of both bottles. It seems to me that there may be a few possible causes for the leakers.

1 the product is dissolving the glue under the foil seal

2 the neck finish might not be clean, that is that there might be what is called feathering or flashing on the neck (caused by the blow moulder using clapped out cutting rings)

3 mould alignment

Are you doing leak tests by laying bottles on there side? Drop testing is usually used to ensure that the bottle won't burst.

You might want to take a close look at the caps they seem like they may be slightly oversized.

Thanks for that. We are looking into this now and will do more investigation. The foil seals are heat sealed on using induction. This heat seal uses no glue and it's a HDPE coated foil that melts and seals against the HDPE bottle so it should not be possible for the glue to dissolve. It is possible that the seal perhaps was not good perhaps so we will look into this and do some testing on some more bottles that we have in stock. It generally has not presented itself as an issue so far with the units that we have dispatched however you can never be too safer and the phosphoric acid is quite problematic if it get onto other stuff. It will heat through many other plastics, soft metals and other products.

With Intertap F/C taps, is it true that you only need enough line to reach the keg outpost?

No this is not 100% correct. All flow control taps will have limitations on how much pressure can be absorbed by the flow control mechanism and still pour beer well. With the Genuine Intertap FC taps (not the counterfeit ones sold by KK at the moment) they are suitable to absorb 85kpa in the flow control mechanism. If you are trying to absorb more than this you can start to get more turbulance and this can cause foaming issues. So it's still a good idea to take up some of the resistance in the line if you are dispensing with more than 85kpa.

In my opinion I dont really like using the flow control taps. You really can't beat the Intertap SS taps. You will always get a better pour if you take up the resistance in the line rather than right at the point of dispence at the low pressure end of your system. I know it's really convenient to be able to control the flow rate at the tap end but it's important to remember this is the low pressure end of the system and even small amounts of turbulence at the low pressure end will cause issues with foaming. The Intertap SS taps have always poured with more laminar flow, less parts to clean/lubricate and if you just use a resonable length of beer line or use the smaller 4mm ID beer line then you will get enough flow resistance not to have to bother with FC taps.

No this is not 100% correct. All flow control taps will have limitations on how much pressure can be absorbed by the flow control mechanism and still pour beer well. With the Genuine Intertap FC taps (not the counterfeit ones sold by KK at the moment) they are suitable to absorb 85kpa in the flow control mechanism. If you are trying to absorb more than this you can start to get more turbulance and this can cause foaming issues. So it's still a good idea to take up some of the resistance in the line if you are dispensing with more than 85kpa.

In my opinion I dont really like using the flow control taps. You really can't beat the Intertap SS taps. You will always get a better pour if you take up the resistance in the line rather than right at the point of dispence at the low pressure end of your system. I know it's really convenient to be able to control the flow rate at the tap end but it's important to remember this is the low pressure end of the system and even small amounts of turbulence at the low pressure end will cause issues with foaming. The Intertap SS taps have always poured with more laminar flow, less parts to clean/lubricate and if you just use a resonable length of beer line or use the smaller 4mm ID beer line then you will get enough flow resistance not to have to bother with FC taps.
Agreed, I have 3 intertaps ss 1 is fc and I don't use it. Actually I want to get another ss and replace it. Might offload it or use it on my party keg setup. Great tap the intertap ss

damm I just bought four fc intertaps haven't used em yet

Agreed, I have 3 intertaps ss 1 is fc and I don't use it. Actually I want to get another ss and replace it. Might offload it or use it on my party keg setup. Great tap the intertap ss

I should say we have been looking to make a new design of ball lock disconnect that will have the flow control mechanism in the ball lock disconnect. By using this flow control device at this high pressure end it can tolerate much more turbulance without causing an issue so it's a better place for a flow control mechanism to be implemented. This is only at a conceptual stage but I feel like this could be the best possible solution. Then just use the standard Intertap SS taps at the tap end.

I should say we have been looking to make a new design of ball lock disconnect that will have the flow control mechanism in the ball lock disconnect. By using this flow control device at this high pressure end it can tolerate much more turbulance without causing an issue so it's a better place for a flow control mechanism to be implemented. This is only at a conceptual stage but I feel like this could be the best possible solution. Then just use the standard Intertap SS taps at the tap end.
That's a great idea! I have something similar in mind but it uses existing products because I don't have an engineering department so I kinda have to MacGyver it.

Hey guys. Just letting you know that we wanted to try out this new promo feature on our website and see how it worked so we are going to do a hop sock promo.

Add 5 of these hop socks to your order on our website:

https://www.kegland.com.au/hop-sock-small-grain-bag-biab-540.html

Then use the promo code: HOPSOCK4MAY and you will get 5 hop socks completely FREE!

full

Good evening Keglandians,
Quick question. Do you have plans of having a High Pressure LPG burner in your inventory in the near future?
Cheers
Ben

Yes we have LPG gas burners that should be arriving at the end of June. With that said most of our customers seem to be going electric these days. Personally if you are building a brewery i think it's hard to go past these stick elements:
https://www.kegland.com.au/2200-watt-stainless-steel-heating-element.html

We had some issues with this design when they were first made however they have now been significantly improved so they are really very reliable now and you will probably find them cheaper than LPG to run.

That's a great idea! I have something similar in mind but it uses existing products because I don't have an engineering department so I kinda have to MacGyver it.

Home brewing is all about "MacGyver'ing". So if you have any tips on how other customers can also make something up please share on the forum.

Was mentioned somewhere in here you're opening a store in or around Dandy, how long till the doors open?

Just saw the mini kegs have been added to the store. Not going to mention the competition but your prices are game changing.

Latest posts

Back