Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on. Most replies since have been "hi, how can I spend more money with you?".

At the end of the day, people get the business model they deserve, I guess. One step closer to the Chinese model of fake specs and safety standards.

Lots of people here expressed their disappointment at the fake reviews (and stealing blog articles off other Aussie LHBS websites) yet nothing has been done about it. Take them down, Kee.
I've actually written 3 reviews of 3 products in the hopes that they might replace or supplement the fake reviews on the site, but they still haven't been published after several weeks.

I've actually written 3 reviews of 3 products in the hopes that they might replace or supplement the fake reviews on the site, but they still haven't been published after several weeks.

They will eventually supplement the reviews. I had the same thing happen to my reviews..
Note: They wont remove the original fake review, they will just add your review to the fake reviews.

Hi I just bought the kegmenter and saw that it in the description you guys mention KL03506 can be used to turn it into a boiler. Is there a video of how to install? Is drilling necessary ? Also how far up?

We do not have a specific video on this product but you can used a step drill bit or alternatively this type of knock out punch. The knock out punch gives a really nice clean hole and you can see a couple videos on how to use the punch in the product page here:

https://www.kegland.com.au/32mm-hole-punch-knockout-die-and-punch-set-slugbuster.html

Hey Kegland. Like i mentioned above im new to the homebrew game. I work in the IT industry and the one thing that really annoys me about your website is that it takes so long to resolve a new page. i did a quick speed test on your site and it came back pretty poor. its important especially when doing research to have a snappy site so people can browse through quickly. Just a suggestion it might be worth investing a bit more funds on this side of things! cheers

Thanks for that. Do you mind letting us know what tool you used to generate the report. We have been using GTmetrix up until now and using this the site seems to rank fairly well with the speed. With that said we are always looking for ways we can improve so if we can highlight deficiencies with other tools like what you have used we might be able to make further improvements. I know we definitively have a lot of search traffic and have more concurrent users on the site than ever before. We have seen fairly steady growth since we started in 2018. We we need to work out if it's the way the site is designed or if it's just that our server is not suitable for the higher number of concurrent users.

We are working through approximately 2600 reviews at the moment. We have had about 300 of those that seem to be double or triple reviews. From people who have pasted the same review several times. These additional ones have been deleted. If you use any rude words, say anything racist or have links to completely unrelated sites the review will be deleted. Also if we get a strange review that doesn't seem to fit the product we then cross reference the name to see if you have actually purchased the product and if the name doesn't match then the review will be deleted.

Also if you have already made purchases from us and you are logged in that is also preferable as this makes it easier to verify the review is legitimate. In fact we have been discussing with other guys here that this should actually be mandatory and you need to be logged in to put a review on the site. It's quite possible that this is implemented to also make the approval process less time consuming on our back end.

Is there any chance you can send me the specifics of this in a PM so I can work out why this is the case.

Is there any chance you can send me the specifics of this in a PM so I can work out why this is the case.
Ha, funnily enough I've just checked and my reviews are up! Must have happened in the last couple of days. Apologies. :)

Hey @KegLand-com-au first of all thanks for keeping us all occupied here in Vic!

Apologies if it's been asked before, but have you ever considered creating a PET Corny Keg (or at least a similar vessel with the same outer dimensions?).

Something like Keg King's 'Fermenter King Jr' but in 9.5L/19L and in the same footprint of a ball lock corny keg.

I'd definitely swap out my stainless kegs to be able to see the liquid volume for transfers and keeping track of what's left.

Yes absolutely now that second hand kegs are pretty much dried up all over the world we have been putting significant effort into making plastic kegs so we have a lower cost way to get into home brewing. With that said kegs above all else need to protect the beverage against oxygen. Many people have this idea that PET is impermeable but in actual fact it's not. Oxygen can pass through PET at a slow rate. As a result I would never put beer into PET for an extended period as the gas transmission rate is not suitable to be stored in PET for more than 1-2 months. In order for kegs to be acceptable for long term storage standard PET grades are not able to do the job. Really what you have to do is use a multi-layer preform. This involves other plastics such as EVOH and other newer polymers that are sandwiched in between the PET layers. When this is done the plastic keg can have barrier properties that are comparable to a stainless steel keg.

If you want to do an experiment with the Fermenter King Jr you can put a Light Lager or Pilsner or some other light flavoured beer into this type of keg then see what it tastes like after 3-6 months. The beer will be oxidised and taste a bit like cardboard. It's ok if you are fermenting but then again the opening size at the top is a bit small for a fermenter and hard to clean for this reason. So it's really designed like a keg but then sold as a fermenter because the oxygen barrier is not good enough for a keg.

We are going to release an 8L keg that uses a multi-layer preform and as a result has very good oxygen transmission rate but this probably will not be until the end of the year. If this product is successful then we will also make a 20L design that will be similar in size and shape to the corny kegs at the moment. The development cycle on these products is quite long because the multi-layer walls are far more difficult to make.

They will eventually supplement the reviews. I had the same thing happen to my reviews..
Note: They wont remove the original fake review, they will just add your review to the fake reviews.

Is there any chance you can send us the name that the review was under and the actual order number? This way it can more easily be verified and approved.

If you are logged in when you make the review that would be much easier for us as the review will be verified as being legitimate.

Yes absolutely now that second hand kegs are pretty much dried up all over the world we have been putting significant effort into making plastic kegs so we have a lower cost way to get into home brewing. With that said kegs above all else need to protect the beverage against oxygen. Many people have this idea that PET is impermeable but in actual fact it's not. Oxygen can pass through PET at a slow rate. As a result I would never put beer into PET for an extended period as the gas transmission rate is not suitable to be stored in PET for more than 1-2 months. In order for kegs to be acceptable for long term storage standard PET grades are not able to do the job. Really what you have to do is use a multi-layer preform. This involves other plastics such as EVOH and other newer polymers that are sandwiched in between the PET layers. When this is done the plastic keg can have barrier properties that are comparable to a stainless steel keg.

If you want to do an experiment with the Fermenter King Jr you can put a Light Lager or Pilsner or some other light flavoured beer into this type of keg then see what it tastes like after 3-6 months. The beer will be oxidised and taste a bit like cardboard. It's ok if you are fermenting but then again the opening size at the top is a bit small for a fermenter and hard to clean for this reason. So it's really designed like a keg but then sold as a fermenter because the oxygen barrier is not good enough for a keg.

We are going to release an 8L keg that uses a multi-layer preform and as a result has very good oxygen transmission rate but this probably will not be until the end of the year. If this product is successful then we will also make a 20L design that will be similar in size and shape to the corny kegs at the moment. The development cycle on these products is quite long because the multi-layer walls are far more difficult to make.

Thanks very much, I'll keep an eye out!

Very interesting I never considered longevity in PET outside of fermentation purposes.

I agree, I much rather using my Fermzilla all rounder vs the original fermentasaurus as I can clean by hand and fish out my TILT before ditching trub (and i always manage to get the stir bar in there...)

Thanks again!

Thanks for that. Do you mind letting us know what tool you used to generate the report. We have been using GTmetrix up until now and using this the site seems to rank fairly well with the speed. With that said we are always looking for ways we can improve so if we can highlight deficiencies with other tools like what you have used we might be able to make further improvements. I know we definitively have a lot of search traffic and have more concurrent users on the site than ever before. We have seen fairly steady growth since we started in 2018. We we need to work out if it's the way the site is designed or if it's just that our server is not suitable for the higher number of concurrent users.
Yep I used the gold standard in the industry which is Google page speed test. PageSpeed Insights

There are easy things that can be fixed like optimising the images prior to uploading and other things that require more intensive efforts such as server upgrades etc. The yellow background on the homepage is like 300kb. It should ideally be like 20kb 😎. Anyway good luck. Just want to say thank you for the great products. I got everything delivered today and have started fermenting with the kegmenter.

Ok but when are you removing all the fake reviews? Stop being scummy and address the problem. From the ACCC:

Businesses and review platforms that do not remove reviews that they know to be fake risk breaching the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.

Here is the link to make a consumer complaint. Step 1 is to contact the seller to try to get it resolved. Step 2 is lodge a complaint with the ACCC. I guess we're up to step 2.

We are working through approximately 2600 reviews at the moment. We have had about 300 of those that seem to be double or triple reviews. From people who have pasted the same review several times. These additional ones have been deleted. If you use any rude words, say anything racist or have links to completely unrelated sites the review will be deleted. Also if we get a strange review that doesn't seem to fit the product we then cross reference the name to see if you have actually purchased the product and if the name doesn't match then the review will be deleted.

Also if you have already made purchases from us and you are logged in that is also preferable as this makes it easier to verify the review is legitimate. In fact we have been discussing with other guys here that this should actually be mandatory and you need to be logged in to put a review on the site. It's quite possible that this is implemented to also make the approval process less time consuming on our back end.

Yep. Should get some screenshots of the posts admitting to illegal activity.

To anyone still shopping with Kegland in the meantime, thanks for making online shopping shittier for everyone by supporting dishonest business practices. People like you are why honest consumers get screwed in buying products that don't fit the descriptions. Good job, well played. Hope you get what you give. :)

Yep. Should get some screenshots of the posts admitting to illegal activity.

To anyone still shopping with Kegland in the meantime, thanks for making online shopping shittier for everyone by supporting dishonest business practices. People like you are why honest consumers get screwed in buying products that don't fit the descriptions. Good job, well played. Hope you get what you give. :)
I shopped from there. I got everything delivered on time. All my products were of great quality. I also purchased from Keg King. Similar experience. whats with all the hate? when i look for reviews the last thing i rely on are the reviews on the companies site. if you cant take the time to do your own research about products then why badmouth businesses about it? the response from kegland seems legit. some tool just pasted the same review across multiple products and probably reviewed the wrong product. have you never done this yourselves on ebay? "A++ Great item quick service will shop again". i know i have. doesnt mean ebays pumping fake reviews.

I was so proud when i got into home brewing to see Aussie based companies were innovating in the field of home brewing and for once our products are the envy of the American youtubers who couldnt wait to get their hands on products that were released in OZ first.

Get real guys.

It’s not hate. It’s just simply demanding businesses operate ethically and abide by consumer laws.

The issue isn’t “some tool” copying and pasting reviews; it’s KL (as they’ve admitted) posting their own “placeholder” fake reviews for SEO optimisation.

Maybe I’m more passionate about honest business practices because I’m a medical doctor and when I see colleagues lie or take shortcuts, it compromises patient care. Of course it’s less consequential when an online shop does it, but I still firmly believe people should have some pride and dignity in their work, and obey consumer laws that we’ve all agreed to and reap the benefits of.

Ok but when are you removing all the fake reviews? Stop being scummy and address the problem. From the ACCC:

Businesses and review platforms that do not remove reviews that they know to be fake risk breaching the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.

Here is the link to make a consumer complaint. Step 1 is to contact the seller to try to get it resolved. Step 2 is lodge a complaint with the ACCC. I guess we're up to step 2.

Thanks for that Donald. If you really feel that there are some fake reviews that are bothering you then can you please send us a list of the ones that you have in question. If they appear to be fake then we will make sure they are taken down. To my understanding this has already happened. Up until yesterday anyone could put up any review without being registered and having never purchased from us. Now any user that puts a review up needs to be registered and if we feel like it's not genuine we can cross reference their purchase history with their registered email. It's quite possible that some reviews are not that useful or genuine. If you raise any particular ones like this to our attention that I can assure you that it will be addressed. I really feel the most constructive way forward is for you to email us specific instances.

With that said I would encourage anyone who has the time or feels that their concerns are not being resolved to contact ACCC.

Yep I used the gold standard in the industry which is Google page speed test. PageSpeed Insights

There are easy things that can be fixed like optimising the images prior to uploading and other things that require more intensive efforts such as server upgrades etc. The yellow background on the homepage is like 300kb. It should ideally be like 20kb 😎. Anyway good luck. Just want to say thank you for the great products. I got everything delivered today and have started fermenting with the kegmenter.

Great. Thanks for that. We had a look at this yesterday and this has highlighted a few areas we can improve on so we are going to fix these up and This will hopefully speed the pages up a big. I think the home page in particular was not well optimised previously.

Thanks very much, I'll keep an eye out!

Very interesting I never considered longevity in PET outside of fermentation purposes.

I agree, I much rather using my Fermzilla all rounder vs the original fermentasaurus as I can clean by hand and fish out my TILT before ditching trub (and i always manage to get the stir bar in there...)

Thanks again!

No worries at all. We will release more information about this toward the end of the year and update you guys on the forum once we are further along with the development.

No worries at all. We will release more information about this toward the end of the year and update you guys on the forum once we are further along with the development.
Hello fellow brewers. I reckon the likes of Keg king,kegland etc are a great asset. When I started brewing, we only had AHB and chemists to supply stale ingredients. The product range of KK & KL etc are fantastic. Maybe the odd review is cut n paste, annoying yes but outweighed by great product range. No, I have no connection with either, just satisfied customer.

Back