Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the thoughts of Stellarsan as a hand sanitiser? Does anyone have any information on haw long Stellarsan (or starsan) remains effective in an open air environment such as in a 2-3L bowl? Also, would this sanitiser have any effect on viral strains such as COVID-19? With the shortage of proper hand sanitiser, is a bowl of brewing sanitiser a viable option to rinse your hands every time you walk past?
not really - 5min contact time or something is recommended, really bad for your hands.

No we have no plans to shut the warehouse at this stage. Sales have been fairly high. I think customers are stocking up for the apocalypse and we will continue to stay open as long as we can.

We are trying to get customers to limit contact with us. So when you bring a cylinder into us you drop it off. We sanitise the handle pick the cylinder up, fill it and give back to you.

We have also tried to limit touching of door knobs and other surfaces, we will implement split shifts for order packing and encouraging customers to use the pickup lockers rather than pickup up goods face to face.
how bout from tuesday :/ can you keep going as an online shop?

how bout from tuesday :/ can you keep going as an online shop?
Most businesses can still be open. Restrictions are in place for cafes, restaurants, pubs and clubs. Cafes and fast food places can still do take aways.

These new rules have had to be brought in because of dickheads, like the coodgee bay hotel, who had 500 people packed into the outdoor beer garden the other day.

There should be no problem with mainly online businesses to be able to keep trading.

Most businesses can still be open. Restrictions are in place for cafes, restaurants, pubs and clubs. Cafes and fast food places can still do take aways.

These new rules have had to be brought in because of dickheads, like the coodgee bay hotel, who had 500 people packed into the outdoor beer garden the other day.

There should be no problem with mainly online businesses to be able to keep trading.
Not in Victoria - https://www.reddit.com/r/melbourne/comments/fmtn5y/lock_down_in_48_hours/
Hopefully online business can keep going, but not clear yet.

Ok guys I can see we are probably not going to win this discussion and multiple of you guys want to buy in bulk. So we are going to do a really quick sale just for you guys on AHB. This is not promoted anywhere else. It's a sale purely to keep you guys on the forum happy who need bulk STELLARCLEAN PBW. So from right now until 26th March we are going to give you a huge 50% discount on this product. This is a once off sale and only if you purchase a box (16 x 1kg tubs).

Conditions:
* Must purchase from now until the 26th March
* Must purchase full box
* Must use promo code "ABHPBW" on checkout
Very much appreciated, thank you.

not really - 5min contact time or something is recommended, really bad for your hands.

It's known that StellarSan is highly effective as a sanitising agent and kills a wide range of other microbes including viruses and almost certainly would kill Covid 19 however this testing has not specifically been done.

StellarSan works by using it's acid ingredients to break the cell wall. So if you leave an open container in atmosphere you can keep using the same StellarSan solution over and over again indefinitely as long as the pH stays below 3. If you notice that the PH goes above 3pH you can continue to use the same solution just top it up with a bit more of the StellarSan and the solution will remain effective.

Hi guys,
Any update on the Flow Control Ball Lock Disconnects and when they'll arrive?

Hi guys,
Any update on the Flow Control Ball Lock Disconnects and when they'll arrive?

I am sorry but we do not have a finish date on this one yet. The product was starting to get a bit expensive with the additional parts for the G2 model and also a couple of the angles were very difficult to machine so the bad news is that we are going to take some time to now injection mould some of the parts which will take now several more months to make these new injection moulds. The good news is that it will make the cost of the FC disconnect less than half what it is now.

Is anyone having issues with resetting their password? haven't been able to login to my account in months. My email back in Jan asking to get it reset with no response. I never receive a reset email currently when I request one via the website

It's known that StellarSan is highly effective as a sanitising agent and kills a wide range of other microbes including viruses and almost certainly would kill Covid 19 however this testing has not specifically been done.

StellarSan works by using it's acid ingredients to break the cell wall. So if you leave an open container in atmosphere you can keep using the same StellarSan solution over and over again indefinitely as long as the pH stays below 3. If you notice that the PH goes above 3pH you can continue to use the same solution just top it up with a bit more of the StellarSan and the solution will remain effective.
OK I've got a bit of a weird one - don't expect you to know the answer, but maybe you have some insight as to whether my idea is complete bullshit or has some merit...

My wife wants to make some face masks to donate to hospitals/Drs rooms, so I'm looking at the materials.

For the good N95 masks, they have an outer layer designed to drop PH with citric acid.(See here at 5.6 https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf12/K122702.pdf)

If she was to make a mask with a removable filter, and the filter was sprayed with Stellar/StarSan - do you reckon that would have a similar effect - or would it do nothing at all?
I've been able to find pretty similar materials so hoping we can help in a way...

Is anyone having issues with resetting their password? haven't been able to login to my account in months. My email back in Jan asking to get it reset with no response. I never receive a reset email currently when I request one via the website

Very sorry about that. Yes we have had a few people with the same issue and we think it might be to do with checking out as a guest then after this making a login but then because you already are in the database it has an issue. Any chance you can call us and we can sort this out over the phone with you right away. Sorry about this. It's one of the things we are fixing in the new website soon to be released.

OK I've got a bit of a weird one - don't expect you to know the answer, but maybe you have some insight as to whether my idea is complete bullshit or has some merit...

My wife wants to make some face masks to donate to hospitals/Drs rooms, so I'm looking at the materials.

For the good N95 masks, they have an outer layer designed to drop PH with citric acid.(See here at 5.6 https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf12/K122702.pdf)

If she was to make a mask with a removable filter, and the filter was sprayed with Stellar/StarSan - do you reckon that would have a similar effect - or would it do nothing at all?
I've been able to find pretty similar materials so hoping we can help in a way...

As much as Stellarsan is a great product I think for your application it's probably not the thing for the job. I would be using heat sterilisation instead. If you use Stellarsan all the masks you would then have to dry the mask and in the process of drying the mask you might introduce more microbes.

If you are only making sure you want to kill COVID 19 then temperature 56C and above will kill COVID. So you could just put all the masks in a plastic bag, seal it up and then put the plastic bag in a steamer.

If you wanted to make sure you kill everything then you could do the same thing but put the sealed plastic bags into a pressure cooker.

Very sorry about that. Yes we have had a few people with the same issue and we think it might be to do with checking out as a guest then after this making a login but then because you already are in the database it has an issue. Any chance you can call us and we can sort this out over the phone with you right away. Sorry about this. It's one of the things we are fixing in the new website soon to be released.
In no rush to get it sorted, also have no phone signal where I am for work atm

Will sort it when Im back in Melbourne

Will they even use them if they don't have official approval/testing?

Will they even use them if they don't have official approval/testing?
Medical staff might not, while they have stocks left, but when faced with a choice between uncertified & no PPE I imagine they'll take what they can get.

In the meantime I'd presume the non-COVID occupants of hospitals would also appreciate protection.

Latest posts

Back