Keggle "stubby holder" Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewkid

Reaction score
Today i picked up 5kg of milled up pale ale malt and some nelson hops, im hoping to get time to try out all grain brewing over the weekend.

Any suggestions on hop additions, quantity and time ect?

I have had this insulation that is heatproof laying around for years that will be handy "one day" well today is the day.

This stuff is bloody awesome, i made a stubby holder out of it years ago to suit a longneck and it stayed cold for hours in the sun on a summer day :) should be perfect insulation for the mash while i BIAB :)

Just thought some of you might like to see it.

Cheers.

rps20160907_201108.jpg

rps20160907_201151.jpg

rps20160907_201331.jpg

rps20160907_201231.jpg

Shiny..

By heatproof do you mean flameproof? Or do you do electric BIAB? I recall some insulation I used on a mash tun some time ago getting a little crispy..

yep
use some of the same stuff on the urn... gets a bit worse for wear after a while, but definitely works

I gotta crawl into the ceiling of my rental and see if I can scab some before the lease is up

Next thread by mtb: "Recipe critique please: Asbestos Ale"

I made it removable, but it is airconditioner compresser blanket insulation.

I doubt its flame proof but it definitely doesn't combust at high temperatures.

As for your original question

homebrewkid said:
Any suggestions on hop additions, quantity and time ect?
I'd use Nelson sparingly. It packs a hell of a punch apparently. Looks like there's an AHB thread on Nelson Sauvin SMaSH - http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/48594-nelson-sauvin-smash/
See what those good folks did for hop schedules and imitate, it's the best form of flattery.

I built a similar "stubby holder" for my keggle

IMG_20151003_113336 (Large).jpg

That insulation looks better than mine though, where do you get that from?!?

Back