Keggle Heating Element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was surprised that it has a short flylead with a kettle cord (IEC) socket, not a socket moulded on the element.

That annoyed me too. I have already had one of these elements replaced because the lead broke lose from the hardened seal *stuff* around where it joins to the element.

That annoyed me too. I have already had one of these elements replaced because the lead broke lose from the hardened seal *stuff* around where it joins to the element.
I think this comes from their original designed purpose.

For feeding through the neck of a keg to make a boiler for "water Purification puropses". A regular power plug would probably be too big to fit through the hole.

I think this comes from their original designed purpose.

For feeding through the neck of a keg to make a boiler for "water Purification puropses". A regular power plug would probably be too big to fit through the hole.

Agreed, however if you have a 1 metre power cable you don't need it - simply feed the power chord through the hole first and plug the element in.

That's assuming you have one (I have a shedload of computer power cables so I did).

Agreed, however if you have a 1 metre power cable you don't need it - simply feed the power chord through the hole first and plug the element in.

That's assuming you have one (I have a shedload of computer power cables so I did).

Cords aren't a problem for me, I have heaps... My point was though, a regular plug to go into a gpo would be too big to easily feed through the neck of the keg, and out the side of the hole drilled for the element in the boiler.

My point was though, a regular plug to go into a gpo would be too big to easily feed through the neck of the keg, and out the side of the hole drilled for the element in the boiler.

You didn't understand what I was saying. Feed the cord through the hole in the keg for the element then out the top of the keg - the wall plug never enters the keg.

You didn't understand what I was saying. Feed the cord through the hole in the keg for the element then out the top of the keg - the wall plug never enters the keg.
LOL, Now I'm confused as to what your saying / unhappy about! :)

I was saying the reason they use the plug type they do is because of the original intended purpose. There is no way you could thread it through from the top (if it had a regular plug) without it travelling through the inside of the keg, which given the size of the plug, and hole required would be difficult....

Back