Keggle Dip Tube Issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRat

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After almost tearing my hair out (whats left of it anyway) I have decided to post on here for some advice.

I have recently made a keggle and for some reason i cant get my dip tube to work.

I have a compression fitting from craftbrewer (although im not 100% sure which way the ferrules go) and have bent some copper pipe using a pipe bender.

It looks great, it just doesnt suck any water up from the bottom of the keggle.

I thought this may indicate a compression fitting issue?

Can anyone suggest the correct way to install a craftbrewer compression fitting and also suggest any other areas which may be causing the issue.

Thanks in advance.

BlackRat.

Is the outlet of your tap below the level of the bottom of your diptube? It won't drain below the level of the tap otherwise. I had a longer drain tube on the outlet side of the tap that would aim into the fermentor and was the lowest point of my keggle. Sorry if this sounds obscure. Had a 1st bday party today, I think they're just an excuse for parents to drink.

As in i need the silicon tubing connected to the outside of the ball valve for it to start sucking from the bottom of the dip tube?

Eloquently put practicalfool!

And it won't start the siphon until the fluid is above the level of the tap.

Yeah you need gravity to pull the liquid out from below the level of your dip tube. I presume you're starting your drain tests with a water level starting above the actual outlet so you get flow and a proper siphon effect occurring? If you are and it's still stopping, give the craft beer folks a call to check you've reassembled the compression fitting correctly or look for a you tube vid.

By the way BeerNess, im not so sure my BlackRat and your Lazy Cat should ever do a colab! Not so sure they will play well together.

I just installed one into my keggle. Similar sort of issue I had to actually tip the keggle on a angle and lift it slightly then it kicked into action, once sitting back down and upright it siphoned like normal,

Latest posts

Back