Keggle advice- Can I use 2200 watt element for boil?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys. I've decided to give this BIAB caper a go, so I've bought a converted keg from a fellow AHB member. I plan to use it for my BIAB mash tun plus I am hoping to use it for my kettle. It has a 2200 watt removable element, so my question is: will this be OK for boiling the wort? There is no controller for the element: it's either on or off. Will this result in boil-overs? (I should have mentioned that it's a 40 litre keg and I plan to boil 30 litres of wort).
I've done a bit of reading and I can't find any info about anyone else using an electric element in a keggle.

I was able to boil 24L of wort in a Keggle with a 2200w element. It was a good boil and produced a bronze medal Saison. Give it a crack and see how she goes.
The hole in the Keggle should be the same size as the KK 2400w elements if you find its not enough

2200 watts is plenty to get your 26 odd litres from mash temp to boil in around 20-30 minutes depending on the heat of the day. These 2200 elements give a nice rolling boil at this Corny keg size batch. You can even do half batches with this element. Obviously your boil will be stronger so you'll need to adjust for boil off rates, but I haven't experienced any scorching. Enjoy biab, it makes great beers, if you add 'no chill' your brew day will be minutes either side of 3 hours and you'll be as Australian as Vegemite. Enjoy.

Back