Kegging without gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukencode

Reaction score
Do to an unfortunate series of events I have managed to run out of gas the day my car got written off just as I have a beer ready to keg.

Does anyone have ideas as to how I can get the beer into the keg and keep it without it ruining until I can obtain some gas?

Options I am considering:

• Leave in fermenter crash chilling - not sure how long it will be there
  • Transfer to keg, add some sugar and purge with the CO2 generated

I'd happily condition beer in a cube in the fridge - keg is an even better option. It really depends on when you can get gas and when you want to drink the beer.

If you can transfer it off the trub into the keg, seal the keg and keep it cold, it should be a good way of extended cold conditioning. If you add sugar (half what you would add to bottles for the same co2 vol), you can carbonate the kegs naturally (and use that to dispense until it goes flat again) - this would be a good option if getting more gas will be a long way off and you want to drink it.

Sounds good, will give it a good run in the fermenter then condition in keg. If I'm getting desperate I might give the keg natural carbonation a dig.

No idea on your setup but Bribie (maybe? can't quite remember who it was) talks about constantly topping up a cider keg with fresh apple juice which then causes slow ferment. This then feeds CO2 into the gas system. Not sure if it would force carbonate an entire keg, but if you naturally carbonate keg this might work.

You would obviously need more info than I can give you.

Something I've read in many places (although I've also come across 1/3, 2/3, 3/4, gram and ounce amounts and 'treat the same' advice).
To be honest, the only thing that makes sense is that someone naturally carbing might also purge headspace and seal the keg with pressure so that adds extra gas.
Maybe someone who naturally carbs can explain (or expose it as a myth that takes its truth from people repeating it often enough).
I'm not knowledgeable enough about gas, pressure and vessel shape to be able to offer explanation so I should have prefaced with 'I have heard that you need....."

You may have trouble getting the lid to seal properly without gas, the few times I've naturally carbonated in the keg I've squirted some gas in first to close the lid . Maybe on day 1 or 2 if the lid hasn't closed shake the shit out of it and the extra pressure may close the lid.

seamad said:
You may have trouble getting the lid to seal properly without gas, the few times I've naturally carbonated in the keg I've squirted some gas in first to close the lid . Maybe on day 1 or 2 if the lid hasn't closed shake the shit out of it and the extra pressure may close the lid.
could you perhaps try and use a thickish layer of keg lube around the seal to try and make it as airtight as possible until the beer starts carbonating?

fletcher said:
could you perhaps try and use a thickish layer of keg lube around the seal to try and make it as airtight as possible until the beer starts carbonating?
2 orings also works; although it can be a bugger to actually close the lid

manticle said:
Something I've read in many places (although I've also come across 1/3, 2/3, 3/4, gram and ounce amounts and 'treat the same' advice).
To be honest, the only thing that makes sense is that someone naturally carbing might also purge headspace and seal the keg with pressure so that adds extra gas.
Maybe someone who naturally carbs can explain (or expose it as a myth that takes its truth from people repeating it often enough).
I'm not knowledgeable enough about gas, pressure and vessel shape to be able to offer explanation so I should have prefaced with 'I have heard that you need....."
When I naturally carb a keg I use 50% to 60% of the sugar recommended to bottle. Works well. I always assumed it was because the recommendation assumes you'll be using CO2 to serve, but never really thought about it. I don't do it anymore though as I found there was always a lot more beer with crap in it

Definitely aim for about half of what you normally prime with. The kegs I primed at my normal rate were very over carbed.

I've used half the amount of sugar in the past with success. Though I thought the reason was that a keg has less headroom overall compared with bottles.

I've primed with the same amount as when bottling without any dramas. 3/4 cup sugar per keg works just fine, or a full cup for cider. I cut the bottom 2cm of the pickup tube to avoid picking up the extra sediment.

Why don't you transfer it to a keg, crush up any left over carb drops, or corn sugar and throw it in?
You only need a couple of drops to create a little CO2 and then purge out the O2 from the top of the keg.
This will keep your beer safe untuntil you can get a tank.
You will still need a tank to serve.

Latest posts

Back