Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All,

As of yesterday afternoon my first keg setup is now operational. :D

I have enough room in the fridge for 2 kegs in front of the hump enabling me to still have a shelf for bottled beer and soft drinks. Without the shelf, it will fit 4 kegs with bucket loads of room to spare. i have left enough room in the fridge door for 2 more taps for when more fun buttons become availible :) Just have to get myself a drip tray....... :p

Cheers Leary

DSC01519.JPG

DSC01520.JPG

All,

I have enough room in the fridge for 2 kegs in front of the hump enabling me to still have a shelf for bottled beer and soft drinks. Without the shelf, it will fit 4 kegs with bucket loads of room to spare. i have left enough room in the fridge door for 2 more taps for when more fun buttons become availible :) Just have to get myself a drip tray....... :p

Cheers Leary

Looking good - I'll keep telling myself those Crownies are actually full of home brew...hehehe...think I can make out some identification system on the cap :)

What size CO2 bottle is that? looks like a monster.

cliffo

maybe the crownies are for visitors so he dosent waste his homebrew or to clean his bqq or for his wife

how have you secured the font to the top of the freezer?

Love the beer engine!!

Looks Great Vlad - very tidy.

Bobby - it looks like Vlad has used a couple in nice shiny bolts. And it won't be coming undone accidentally! :D

how have you secured the font to the top of the freezer?

Love the beer engine!!

Bobby, the font is bolted through the fonts own mounting bolt to a piece of chequerplate which in turn is bolted through the timber top and freezer lid.

I'm not a fan of the gas bottle and reg in the fridge, takes up room and what is all that moisture doing to your reg ?
I drilled a hole thru the compressor 'hump', certainly no cooling lines running thru there. A bit of silicone round the hole or grommet to seal on the line and you're laughing.

Vlad- nice setup. Interesting gas/beer line you're using ? You planning to do something flash around the freezer vents ?

I'm not a fan of the gas bottle and reg in the fridge, takes up room and what is all that moisture doing to your reg ?
I drilled a hole thru the compressor 'hump', certainly no cooling lines running thru there. A bit of silicone round the hole or grommet to seal on the line and you're laughing.

Vlad- nice setup. Interesting gas/beer line you're using ? You planning to do something flash around the freezer vents ?

Great idea Mika. I might have to move the fridge around a bit and get the old drill onto it. I am not real keen on the reg in the fridge either.

Cheers,

Sean

Ok love the pictures but am surprised so many people are using chest freezers and not fridges, how to you keep the temp from getting too cold. Do you put a thermostat on which turns power on and off or some other simple trick ?

see the mashmaster link at the top of the page - fridgemate.

So using the thermostats and turning the freezer on an off with these ?

Yes. A "temperature control" device fitted to the freezer. The two main benefits of using a chest freezer over a fridge - 1. They're insulated better; 2. They usually allow a greater number of kegs to be stored.

If you do a search of the forums, you'll find a wealth of knowledge about such things.

Welcome aboard AHB! :beer:

All,

Cheers Leary
looks the goods mate, you could also make a shelf with legs on one side (to the front of the fridge) and the other end of the shelf sitting on the compresser hump. That way you can fit 4 kegs in there on the home made shelf and stack beers under the shelf in front of the compresser hump. Thats what i did after i had the same setup as yours for a few months.
But then youll have to get another tap. Bcoz youll need 2 taps with 4 kegs lol :lol:

Mika,

Im not That big a fan of the bottle and reg in the fridge either. it was just convienient at the time. Today im going to route the gas line and temb probe through the back of the frigde using a cable gland, but i havent quite decided where. Thoughts anyone??

Cliffo

The crownies are homebrew (APA) but at the time of the photo there was also a bottle of West End and Millers Chill left over from some friends, Not mine though. :ph34r:

Cheers

Mika,

Im not That big a fan of the bottle and reg in the fridge either. it was just convienient at the time. Today im going to route the gas line and temb probe through the back of the frigde using a cable gland, but i havent quite decided where. Thoughts anyone??
Cliffo

The crownies are homebrew (APA) but at the time of the photo there was also a bottle of West End and Millers Chill left over from some friends, Not mine though. :ph34r:

Cheers

You could try going through the hump over the compressor - shouldn't be any refrigerant lines there, of course you still need to be carefull.

Glad you have clarified the contents of your fridge..hehehe :D

cliffo

Just set up my new 6 keg fridge . I recommend this upside down style fridge for anyone that wants 6 kegs on tap. Plenty of room and a good tap height for pouring; ie if you can reach the taps you are old enough to have a beer . Cant wait to fill her up.

cam.jpg

Here is a pic of my very modest first steps in kegging. I like kegs as I am told they probably won't explode! :p

The fridge in the pic is the outside beer fridge and as you can see it won't take two kegs and the C02, and SWAMBO has renegged on her earlier agreement to allow me to drill a hole in the 3 year old fridge. She claims that I confused her, then tricked her into agreeing. She's right though - heavily pregnant - she was easy to con. Now she has caught on! D'oh! :blink:

I have a another fridge I ferment in, that is down in my Manshed, so no more options for multi kegs. So it looks like for the time being it's one beer at a time.

HUGE thanks to Screwtop for the phone calls and questions and support while I got this all going. Very much appreciated. :icon_chickcheers:

InCider.

Just leave the gas outside mate, gas when required. 2 kegs are better than 1 anyday.

is that acutally inside the house mate? i didnt think the missus would allow it!
my one is trying to get mine outside of the house and into the shed by dangling
carrots infront of me "we can put an aircon in the shed to make it cool for you that way
u can put your keg frige in there as well" pfft it can stay in the dining room next to the
dinner table that way i dont have to get up.

on a side note there is a beer in that fandangled chest freezer of yours dated november and its now january :eek:

Rob.

Back