Kegging - Safe Carbonation Method

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo__04

Reaction score
Hey all,

Getting my kegging setup up and running an am confused on how to properly(safely) carbonate the kegs.

I bought the gear a few years ago, tried the keg rolling on the ground method with the co2 bottle connected and got a few kegs of froth.

I've just setup all my brewing gear again and want to know the 100% foolproof (me the fool) way of carbonating the kegs. Bit worried about the shaking methods.

I've read the carbonation charts for a set temperature and set co2 volumes. If i set the regulator to this and just leave it it will carb itself after a little while?

I think id like to go that way if possible, Just not confident in my ability with the shaking method as ive stuffed it horribly in the past.

Any help would be great

Hi,

Well after many years now I have a way that works for me that I can share and you can adapt it. I used to want a keg carbonated ASAP but that quickly fades and you allows for a 2day carbonation process. Im not sure of the volumes Im getting but I only increase the time for wheat beers.

• turn on the reg to 100kpa of co2 at the same time as purging the keg to remove oxygen ( purge about 3-4times )
  • spray lid with starsan and ramp up the co2 pressure to 200kpa and check for leaks ( if leaking it bubbles )
  • ramp up co2 pressure to 260kpa and leave that for 36hrs. ( 48hrs for wheat beers )
  • when 36hrs if up i turn of the gas reg to nil and teh keg still holds pressure, dont purge that.
  • allow that to sit for 12hrs....if the gauge reads less than 80kpa it needs more c02, if it reads > 80kpa its all gassed up.
You can decide what your kpa amount is for your liking and beer styles but I found that allwoing it to stand for 12hrs with the reg off it will absorb what it needs to finish. I have tried just 24hrs at 260kpa and 300kpa but after 12hrs the guage read < 40kpa and the carbonation levels were low.

Hope that helps.

If you're not in a rush to drink it, just set it to serving pressure (typically 80 - 100kpa)and wait...this ususally gives me a mild carbonation after about 4 days and my desired carbonation by about day 7..at this point everything is in equilibrium and I dont have to adjust a thing.....of course this all depends on your beer line diameter, length and differential between keg and tap height (do a search on balancing a draught system if your interested). I use about 2m of 5mm i.d. line and this is pretty good for a range of scenarios......

but to be honest, I use the Ross method (shaking) about 80% of the time and am usually consuming carbonated beer within minutes of transerring a cold crashed fermentor to the keg!

If you want fool proof, set and forget.

Use the chart to determine what pressure you need for your system. Leaving it at serving pressure will carbonate it after one to two weeks. It also gives it some conditioning time, so it'll taste better!

Mine is about 6degC, 2-2.5m of 4mm ID beer line and 12psi. Seems to work for most beer styles.

I use the same method as StalkingWilbur, set and forget.

Usually keg on a Saturday or Sunday and by the following Friday night its perfect.

My fridge is at 5 degC, use 1 to 1.5m of 4mm ID beer line and I have Perlick taps with flow controls. OT - My taps are new and have solved all my pouring issues :D.

I just set my co2 to 40 psi for 24 hours while the keg is in the fridge. Purge back to serving pressure (usually about 10-12psi) and away I go. Seems to give much more consistent results than shaking

I have been using the Ross method, purely because I do not trust my gas set up. A leak somewhere would end up with a empty bottle right?

I look forward to being able to set and forget but not confident yet

Beercus

Well i kegged a brew during the week and have gone the set and forget method. Every time I've done it any other way ive ended up with kegs of foam.

I probably should look at flow control taps too, might make things easier

I use the same method as Lesbob though @ 40psi for 36 hrs. Tried 24 + 48 hrs before and find in the middle is about right.

I do a mixture of both methods, depending on what i'm aiming for i generally do 250kpa for 24hours and then purge and set to serving pressure for a week. I've had consistent results since using this method. From what i've read you won't reach equilibrium in a week at just serving pressure. There's a thread on another forum that is a good read if you google burst carbing.

huez said:
I generally do 250kpa for 24hours and then purge and set to serving pressure. I've had consistent results since using this method.
Exactly how I do it, works a treat every time

I'm impatient and do something like the Ross method.

Also remember don't leave beer line connected when at higher pressure! And check your clamps! If a hose blows the keg empties mighty quick, it's hard to get beer off the garage roof.

Latest posts

Back