Kegging Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew

Reaction score
I know this has more than likely been covered in a previous thread, but right now I could not be bothered trolling for responces.

I am wondering if kegging and leaving the beer to age in a keg will affect the taste of a beer? I know that the commercial beer that is offering a Warnie doll for the cricket does taste different between the can and the bottle. Will the same thing happen to my slaved over pride and joy?

If yes, what can I do to prevent it happening? Is this why beers in a pub taste different from location to location?

If no, what causes the can and bottle to taste different?

Its got me thinking anyways.

1 word Aluminium. I hate cans. Same deal with coke too. Tastes much better in glass then either cans or even plastic PET's

Your kegs are stainless, so its totally different. To age them in the keg I think the best results come from bulk priming. Though I'm only very new at kegging myself and haven't bulk primed a keg yet and left it to age, so I may stand corrected by someone more knowledgeable in this area than me.

As for the pubs and beer on tap tasting different from pub to pub is more likely the result of poor line/tap cleaning schedule. Some pubs clean their line/taps more often than others do and some do a better job at cleaning them and some don't. Having a quick look on here for tap maintenance/cleaning I was suprised how quickly they got yucky. I bet most pubs don't pull their taps apart on a weekly basis and clean them.

You won't get that canned taste from aging your beer in kegs.

Cheers

Bulk priming does work well in kegs. You will need less priming than what you proportianally use in bottles. Usually I use 100 gms sucrose per 19 litre keg.

The big drawback with bulk priming a keg is the yeast sediment. If the keg is left unmoved, only the first one or two pour cloudy.

If you want to take the keg to a party, the yeast will be disturbed and every glass will pour cloudy.

Trolling usually means posting inflamatory posts looking for flaming responses.

Trawling means looking and using the search engine.

Commercial beers taste different due to change in temperature, poor storage and poor attention to line cleaning.

Bulk storage of your homebrew will improve the flavour. Some ag's are best served fresh, but most kit and kilos need some time to mature.

Latest posts

Back