Kegging Confusion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakie21

Reaction score
Hi guys

Once again a kegging question. The search function is a bit hard to find things so I really do apologise if this has been asked many times.

I have got the 'Ross method' of force carbing down now. I realise it might not be the best way to carb a beer but its the quickest since I have 4 new kegs ready to go and be filled. (plus I get plenty of 'help' from mates emptying them :p)

Once beers are carbed near or at the point where you want them what do you do with the pressure. Do you switch it off? Leave at pouring pressure? (for me pouring pressure is quite low.. like 20kpa? - i have bronco curly hose tap) or leave at desire pressure (e.g ~70kpa for my pale ale?) then purge and put back to pouring pressure when pouring a beer?

Thanks guys!

p.s - kegging is awesome, dont think I could have kept up bottling for too long!

Yeah mate, leave at serving pressure... And squirt with soapy water to check for leaks.

Do you switch it off? Leave at pouring pressure? (for me pouring pressure is quite low.. like 20kpa? - i have bronco curly hose tap) or leave at desire pressure (e.g ~70kpa for my pale ale?) then purge and put back to pouring pressure when pouring a beer?

I leave mine on all the time at serving pressure around 40 - 70kPa on my system. Others turn their gas off when not in use (once the beer is carbed up).

Bronco taps are fine for this too, you may just need more beer line if it starts foaming too much.

Purging constantly will chew up your gas quicker.

I am pretty sure its all sealed properly, i prefer to turn it off though if it wont make a difference since losing gas would suck with only a 2.6kg bottle and no beer until its filled :p.

My hefeweizen sucked with basically half the glass being head but this APA is awesome, perfect pour with just a curly hose - stoked.
If using a low pouring pressure will you lose some CO2 after pouring some beers? my hefe seemed to lose some carbonation.

Thanks alot guys.

i turn off, and then give then system a charge every time the pressure drops .. but I have adjustable taps.

If using a low pouring pressure will you lose some CO2 after pouring some beers? my hefe seemed to lose some carbonation.
if your serving pressure is too low, your beer will froth up on the way out and yes you will lose carbonation. this is probably what happened with your hef.

if your serving pressure is too low, your beer will froth up on the way out and yes you will lose carbonation. this is probably what happened with your hef.

Ahhhh I thought it was better to lower the serving pressure since it was higher carbed and came out really quick, probably just a line length issue anyway. Pouring such a high carbed beer on such a short length of line I can't really complain.

20 Kpa is very low. Go higher. After force carbing I purge and then adjust to serving pressure.

Just realised it was above 20.. probably 30-40 but yeah just tried higher and it poured way too quickly so I guess I am at correct pouring pressure for the APA.

The higher the carbonation the higher the serving pressure? is that right?

The higher the carbonation the higher the serving pressure? is that right?

Yes but if you only have one regulator, best to choose 1 pressure and stick with that for all beers.

At the moment I only have 1 connected at a time (very basic setup) as I only have 1 QD for gas with a NRV going to reg and bottle and a bronco with a beer QD.

Trying to understand things so I don't ask so many questions :p. Cheers.

Back