Kegged/Filtered beer lost all hoppiness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheep

Reaction score
Hi, hoping someone can help me figure this one out :)

I've had an Epic Pale Ale clone sitting in a fermenter for about a month at 2 degrees whilst I got my kegerator setup, I transferred 19l into the keg via the spigot/hose into the bottom of the keg that was purged with c02 and bottled the rest.

Set the regulator to 12 psi and left for a few days, pulled the first pint and it was full of large flakey particles, left for another day or two and the same, figured it was due to not using any bags and a large amount of hops in fermenter though i'd have expected most of it to have settled out.

Bought a 1micron filter kit and transferred to another keg, however had issues due to the beer being already partly carbonated and foaming in the receiving keg (lid off, co2 purged). Plus for some reason it was pushing out of the filter housing seal a bit as it xferred.

Beer went flat again day after transfer so recarbonated and tasted; mouth feel is light, very little hop aroma and taste, harsh bitterness, not much maltiness, almost stale flavour.

Tried one of the bottles today and completely the opposite, full mouth feel, heaps of hop aroma/taste and balanced flavour.

My assumption is that I've oxidised the kegged beer by the dodgy filtration; however I've also heard that force carbonation can strip hop flavour/aroma as can filtration even if done correctly.

In the future what would be the best way to prevent the particles from pellets/yeast getting into the keg? Possibly a bazooka type screen on the spigot or the keg pickuptube? Can anyone attest to 1mic filtration not stripping flavour from the beer?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back