Kegged Beer Now Has Tinny Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulmershe

Reaction score
New to brewing,
I have steadily been increasing my kegs to 3. I have on tap, a coopers heritage, smugglers ale and a chocolate porter. The chocolate porter tasted a bit tart so when I was kegging the other two beers, the remainders were mixed into the porter (which improved it, giving it more of a fruiter taste.) When I kegged the beers, I only had to hooked up to the CO2, a week or so ago, I bought the rest of the fittings etc. to have all the kegs on tap.
Previously, I had been pouring the beers at 80 PSI through celli taps. I have since turned down the pressure to 40 PSI.

:blink: In the last week, I have noticed that the coopers and the porter have both developed a metalic taste, whilst the smugglers ale has not. Both of the beers with the tinny taste have the long stainless steel shanks on the back of the celli taps.
I am not sure what is causing this metallic taste, Could it be the beer in the shanks? Pressure? :unsure:

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Bulmershe

New to brewing,
I have steadily been increasing my kegs to 3. I have on tap, a coopers heritage, smugglers ale and a chocolate porter. The chocolate porter tasted a bit tart so when I was kegging the other two beers, the remainders were mixed into the porter (which improved it, giving it more of a fruiter taste.) When I kegged the beers, I only had to hooked up to the CO2, a week or so ago, I bought the rest of the fittings etc. to have all the kegs on tap.
Previously, I had been pouring the beers at 80 PSI through celli taps. I have since turned down the pressure to 40 PSI.

:blink: In the last week, I have noticed that the coopers and the porter have both developed a metalic taste, whilst the smugglers ale has not. Both of the beers with the tinny taste have the long stainless steel shanks on the back of the celli taps.
I am not sure what is causing this metallic taste, Could it be the beer in the shanks? Pressure? :unsure:

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Bulmershe

I take it you purged your new kegs and celli taps with a solution of Sodium Hydroxide lines cleaner and rinsed with five liters of water .

And put new seals on your new kegs to get rid of the soft drink flavour

Pumpy :)

I take it you purged your new kegs and celli taps with a solution of Sodium Hydroxide lines cleaner and rinsed with five liters of water .

And put new seals on your new kegs to get rid of the soft drink flavour

Pumpy :)
Thanks Pumpy,

:eek: This could be where I went wrong. Kegs had new seals and were cleaned with the standard amount of idophor solution, however at that stage, I did not have the other two taps. Being new to brewing and anxoius to connect it all up, however the line I had did not fit the john guest fittings. Eventually did the 120km round trip to the nearest HB store. Got home, that releived that everything was connected and with no empty keg to flush the lines ...
... did not rinse the taps with line cleaner. :(

;) I do have a carbonator cap and some plastic beer bottles, could i fill up a the plastic beer bottle with line cleaner, gas it up with the carbonator cap then connect my beer line to it and flush it out several times?

Thanks Pumpy,

:eek: This could be where I went wrong. Kegs had new seals and were cleaned with the standard amount of idophor solution, however at that stage, I did not have the other two taps. Being new to brewing and anxoius to connect it all up, however the line I had did not fit the john guest fittings. Eventually did the 120km round trip to the nearest HB store. Got home, that releived that everything was connected and with no empty keg to flush the lines ...
... did not rinse the taps with line cleaner. :(

;) I do have a carbonator cap and some plastic beer bottles, could i fill up a the plastic beer bottle with line cleaner, gas it up with the carbonator cap then connect my beer line to it and flush it out several times?

Bulmershe ,

I done exactly the same thing with my Celli taps could not wait to use them.

That line cleaner is really caustic and I am sure will do the job .

pumpy :)

i think you'll find the carbonator cap is for gas in, and the beer out post is slightly different.

well thats the case for me please correct me if i'm wrong?

also because its plastic theoretically you could "make it fit" but it prolly won't be any good for the cap.

Pouring at 40PSI....that must make for a lot of foam :unsure:

I pour at about 11psi MAX !

~14.5psi per bar, makes ~ 580psi, so I think not.
Thought he might mean kPa, but that wouldn't push beer out of the keg.

~14.5psi per bar, makes ~ 580psi, so I think not.
Thought he might mean kPa, but that wouldn't push beer out of the keg.

lol i was beimg sarcastic :beerbang:

40 kilopascals = 5.80150951 pounds per square inch

surely nearly 6 psi would be enough to push the beer out? be it slower?

Thought it less than that, but there you go, that'll do it.
Double brew day tomorrow, drop round if you want to pick your scales up, otherwise I'll drop round in the arvo and drop them back then.

Back