• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Kegerator worth?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donz

Reaction score
I bought a kegerator with 3 kegs and 2.6 ltr co2 2nd hand a few months ago and have had a ball with it for $800.
Sooo nice to come home after work and pour a beer from tap.
Sadly, I just went on a easter holiday and my car blew 2 tyres, killed the rims and the alternator and battery died :(
I'm up for $600 in repairs and may have to sell the system to pay the credit card off.
What are second hand kegerators going for these days?
It's a kegmate 2 tap with 3 kegs and co2 bottle? goes down to 2 deg C on the digi display.
I don't want to sell it and would sell my teeth if I could, just looking for a price point IF doomsday comes.

What a bummer, as your've had a ball with it I just hope you can find another way out so you can keep it. Anything else you could sell?

grott said:
What a bummer, as your've had a ball with it I just hope you can find another way out so you can keep it. Anything else you could sell?
The only things I have is my house, car, kids, home brew and PC.
Aparrently, ... I'm not allowed to sell the kids ;)

I fully understand the tight finances position. Went from working full time to a full time student, and finding the money to pay the bills often caused stress (and they always seem to come in when the financial well is dry).

I don't know what yours would go for, but it were me I'd be doing every thing I could the avoid selling it. You will regret it big time. Give up takeaway coffee, take your lunch to work, don't buy commercial beer for a while, wear an extra coat instead of turning up the heater, turn the lights off in the rooms you aren't in, walk/ride to work, try and pick up some OT, anything that means you can hang on to your kegerator.

JD

I have 2 months to fix up the bills so I'll still get my Cerveza and Blonde kegged for a good party :)

JDW81 said:
I fully understand the tight finances position. Went from working full time to a full time student, and finding the money to pay the bills often caused stress (and they always seem to come in when the financial well is dry).

I don't know what yours would go for, but it were me I'd be doing every thing I could the avoid selling it. You will regret it big time. Give up takeaway coffee, take your lunch to work, don't buy commercial beer for a while, wear an extra coat instead of turning up the heater, turn the lights off in the rooms you aren't in, walk/ride to work, try and pick up some OT, anything that means you can hang on to your kegerator.

JD
Cheers JD will do all of the above.
What is this "commercial beer" you speak of? haven't seen any for months ;)

I'm hopping (pun) to stretch the funds to tax time, that will pay for everything, but if I have to, could I get some cubes and keep the brews in there for 2 months? untill I build a new kegging set up?

Find a mate that will loan you $800 and let him borrow the kegerator until you can pay him back.

If the deal goes sour, you sold it for $800. If all works out well, you haven't wasted money selling and then buying again.

if it's that tight in the wallet then consider after other budgeting saving measures like JDW suggests (and assuming you have a mortgage and a bit of equity)

calling the bank and discussing things like
interest only payments for 6 months on the home loan
rolling the Credit card debt into the home loan (Increasing mortgage) and really managing further credit cards and reducing credit limits....
asking them about other options to ensure you can go forward successfully with less "bad debt"

roll the credit card to an interest free card option with another bank (not highly recommended for poor credit managers )

this might free up a little funds to float you through a tough time and a home loan is normally the lowest interest rate you will have and "better debt"

this is not financial advise

What do you do for work? If possible do some 7 day weeks and bil will be paid off in no time.

Donz said:
I'm hopping (pun) to stretch the funds to tax time, that will pay for everything, but if I have to, could I get some cubes and keep the brews in there for 2 months? untill I build a new kegging set up?
Are you talking cubing wort or beer?
wort will keep for months provided all the processes are followed (I have cubes of stuff I brewed last year that I havent fermented yet)
Beer... I would bottle if you didnt have kegs

Cheers guy's am looking into refinancing now, I get a call every second week from GE trying to give me more $$ but the rates are high.
If I combine everything into 1 new bill, everything should be ok:)
The party shall go on :D

n87 said:
Are you talking cubing wort or beer?
wort will keep for months provided all the processes are followed (I have cubes of stuff I brewed last year that I havent fermented yet)
Beer... I would bottle if you didnt have kegs
Beer will also keep for months in cubes and far easier than bottling, especially if the intention is to transfer it to new kegs in a couple months.

On the flip side, selling the kit will give you a really good "things I regret in life" story to share around the retirement home before dementia kills the memories.
That'll be the only thing to take away the pain

I say keep it mate
When times are tough and the funds are low is when basic home brewing is better value for money than most other expenses.
There is always another solution.

Latest posts

Back