Kegerater or Keezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnir

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm in the market to either buy a new kegerater from one of the retailers or get the parts together for a keezer build.

What are your suggestions? Pros and cons of both?

If you had your time again would you have gone the other way?

What I'm leaning towards is a this http://www.cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/kegerator-bar-fridges?route=product/product&path=127&product_id=427

If i were to go this way, is there any reason to go this fridge instead of using say CB's one other then the warranty? Are they the same?

Million thoughts running through the mind and don't know how to put them into words, i'm sure more will come as the thread progresses!

Cheers all

2 key advantages of a keezer are better insulation (probably) and size to fit more kegs. Main disadvantages (chest based keezer) is lugging full kegs in without knocking against any connections and cleaning any spills

If I was doing it again I'd look at an upright freezer only set up big enough to hold 8 kegs. 4 on tap and 4 conditioning / carbing

Current set up us a 6 keg chest keezer with 4 taps

+1 for the keezer!

Have done the keezer thing & was very happy for many years but due to circumstances had to downgrade to a kegerator & now find myself pining for more storage space ( :mellow:) which is coming very soon. :super:
Cheeky peak is great value for money but as mentioned above keezers give you lots more options storage-wise & insulation-wise.
Pics of my ex-keezer internals & externals show some of the extra benefits if you're willing to put little work\effort into things as opposed to taking the easy way out & just getting a kegerator. :)
Good luck with it.

DSC00529.JPG

New Tap Handles.JPG

I've never looked into keezers but I believe there are entire threads devoted to keezers failing because basically they are freezers that were engineered with compressors, circuits and materials designed to freeze. Then some maniac home brewer has turned them into a beer serving system that operates many degrees higher with possible strains on joins and components, and with different compressor "kick ins" than designed to do.

On the other hand kegerators are based on fridges, not freezers, that are designed to; yes you guessed it, chill beer.

My 2 cents... Which ever way you go it will be worth it. Kegging is an excellent upgrade to make. I went the keezer route in order to do it on the cheap. An old chesty for $50 and a keg king temp controller and I was away. Currently I just use it with two kegs being served with a picnic tap and a Pluto gun, but once I build a timber collar, I will be able to get three more in there and install some nice perlicks. I also have a condensation issue that I will hopefully be able to solve with a fan and some damp rid, as well as feeding the temp probe through a hole in the timber collar, rather than tucking it under the seal. The good thing about this setup is that you can start simple, and add the components gradually.

Having said that, there are times that I wish I had got a keggerator. A mate who hadn't even started brewing at the time, tried some of my beer, realised it was cheap and tasted good and within a week he had picked up a three tap keg king keggerator with kegs, co2, regulator and lines for $500 which I would have jumped on if I saw it. He's now set up better than I am and he's only a few brews in! I'm more than a little jealous.

I'm gonna start building the keezer tomorrow. Picking up some 90 x 45 timber from bunnings in the morning and will do,the collar and a base trolley. Should have some photos up tomorrow!

Just remember the old adage of measure twice and cut once (and measure what you're actually fitting the collar / trolley to. I ended up having to whittle down my trolley base With a hand chisel as I only measured the top of the freezer and the base was actually wider; who knew?

i'd also suggest that when you rig the Taps you do a test run on each tap with water in the keg. Beer sprayed all over your keezer and garage/ deck / kitchen is a real bugger to clean up!

I have a kegerator. I'll be upgrading to a bad-arse kegerator next year, purpose built for dispensing beer, all stainless interior, Italian compressor. Depending on what I go with, I'll accommodate 4-6 beer on tap.

Have very little interest in a keezer, having a deep freezer in my kitchen or loungeroom isn't really keeping with the "Feng Shui" of our house.

Spiesy said:
I have a kegerator. I'll be upgrading to a bad-arse kegerator next year, purpose built for dispensing beer, all stainless interior, Italian compressor. Depending on what I go with, I'll accommodate 4-6 beer on tap.

Have very little interest in a keezer, having a deep freezer in my kitchen or loungeroom isn't really keeping with the "Feng Shui" of our house.
Sounds like a cool kegerator Spiesy, which models are you looking at? I've been looking for something similar.

Keg King have two models, called the Grand Master and Grand Master Deluxe, from memory.

Micromatic also have some in the US.

Both Keg King models are Grand Deluxe. One takes about 6 cornys and the bigger one takes maybe 10.

I use a 500L Westinghouse fridge freezer it holds 6 kegs room under the kegs for glasses, some bottles in the door, hops in the freezer door, the rest of the freezer is overflow for our kitchen fridge (big selling point with SWMBO) currently lives in the dinning kitchen area. We're moving soon so I'm hoping I can have this in the shed with the ferment fridges, and use some of the freezer space for yeast. I currently have 3 taps hooked up with a spot for a fourth when the brew budget allows. It works for me and allows a little space for conditioning.

MB

ED: It cost me $80 at the local auctions win!!

Back