Keg Wierdness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinw

Reaction score
Just had some very strange behaviour from a keg.

Tonight I decided to crack my recently kegged Rye Wheat and see what my beer was like. I checked the pressure in the keg - was within my normal serving range. Popped a picnic tap on and pulled a nice cloudy glass of wheat beer. Very nice & quaffable with a grainy sort of flavour - very much in the American hefeweizen style, tasted similar to the Redhook Hefeweizen I tried in California a few years ago.

I then went back for another glass (as you do). Not a drop would come out of my picnic tap and there was quite a lot of gas in the line. Hooked up the gas in line and checked the pressure on the regulator ... hadn't budged from normal serving pressure. Pulled the gas disconnect off and lifted the keg for a closer look. Two things happened - a slight discharge of gas and froth from the input connector, sealing off after about a second, and a lot beer suddenly rushed up the line to the picnic tap. I was then able to pour a normal glass of beer.

What the ....????

Random thought - could I have partially frozen the keg?

--Colin

Latest posts

Back