Keg Transfer Made Easy...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just used this method for transferring from fermentasaurus to keg, amazing! This thread/technique should be mandatory reading for any keg owner.

Just used this method for transferring from fermentasaurus to keg, amazing! This thread/technique should be mandatory reading for any keg owner.
I was hoping to read somewhere in this thread that someone had done this. To date I have always used CO2 to do a closed loop transfer from the FS to the receiving keg. Knowing you can do it via this method and therefore saving a bit of precious CO2 is great.

Cheers

I've had difficulties with the fully enclosed method with high gravity beers myself and if using floating dip tubes it tends to eventually start to short circuit due to dip tube sucking some gas and eventually equalizing.

Other than that if you have patience it works.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what's going on but this just isn't working for me - any thoughts on what might be the problem would be appreciated, here's my situation:
I have two kegs, both are half full with the same beer so I want to move the beer from one keg to the other. They are both pressurised and hold their pressure. I raise the keg onto the bench and leave the receiving keg on the floor. I hook them up via a gas-to-gas line to ensure they are at the same pressure. I connect both liquid-to-liquid connectors. I remove the gas connector on the receiving keg and I give the receiving keg release valve a little pull to release some gas. The liquid just sits there and remains in the keg on the higher bench, whether I hook up the gas again to both or not doesn't make any difference.
What's strange is that even if I take the gas to gas line off completely and I hook up the keg on the bench to the gas bottle and I give the release valve a pull on the receiving keg again it still doesn't work. So in this case the only thing connecting the kegs is the liquid-to-liquid line.
I'm at a bit of a loss. Any ideas?

I'm not sure what's going on but this just isn't working for me - any thoughts on what might be the problem would be appreciated, here's my situation:
I have two kegs, both are half full with the same beer so I want to move the beer from one keg to the other. They are both pressurised and hold their pressure. I raise the keg onto the bench and leave the receiving keg on the floor. I hook them up via a gas-to-gas line to ensure they are at the same pressure. I connect both liquid-to-liquid connectors. I remove the gas connector on the receiving keg and I give the receiving keg release valve a little pull to release some gas. The liquid just sits there and remains in the keg on the higher bench, whether I hook up the gas again to both or not doesn't make any difference.
What's strange is that even if I take the gas to gas line off completely and I hook up the keg on the bench to the gas bottle and I give the release valve a pull on the receiving keg again it still doesn't work. So in this case the only thing connecting the kegs is the liquid-to-liquid line.
I'm at a bit of a loss. Any ideas?

I would disconnect the gas line and put a little bit more pressure in the donor keg then release a little pressure in the receiver should get the beer flowing.

Maybe reconnect the gas line once the beer is moving.

I did try that, I had the donor keg hooked up directly to the gas bottle, it didn't matter, the beer wouldn't flow. My only thought is that is a blockage or some issue with the liquid to liquid connection? I don't know.

I did try that, I had the donor keg hooked up directly to the gas bottle, it didn't matter, the beer wouldn't flow. My only thought is that is a blockage or some issue with the liquid to liquid connection? I don't know.
Try transferring in the other direction to see if this works. I'd suspect there may be a blockage in either the liquid posts or the disconnect/transfer line between them

If you have a blockage somewhere a process of elimination would easily sort out where your problem is.

How do you know the beer isn't just moving slowly? Is one of your kegs on a good scale so you can see the change in weight?

I tried reversing the kegs and still no good. The only possible thing it must be is the liquid-to-liquid connectors and line that connects them. I'll have to go and buy some more.
It can't be a blockage in the kegs as I can hook up a beer line with a simple tap and the beer pours out of either keg fine.
I'll just have to drink the beer in the empty keg faster to empty it out, won't be a problem at the moment in lockdown!

I tried reversing the kegs and still no good. The only possible thing it must be is the liquid-to-liquid connectors and line that connects them. I'll have to go and buy some more.
It can't be a blockage in the kegs as I can hook up a beer line with a simple tap and the beer pours out of either keg fine.
I'll just have to drink the beer in the empty keg faster to empty it out, won't be a problem at the moment in lockdown!
If you have a carb cap lying around, check your transfer hose using it to hold one disconnect open.

I'm not sure what's going on but this just isn't working for me .... I hook them up via a gas-to-gas line to ensure they are at the same pressure. I connect both liquid-to-liquid connectors. I remove the gas connector on the receiving keg and I give the receiving keg release valve a little pull to release some gas. .... Any ideas?

Yes I realise this is really old, but nobody ever answered the question and someone else might come along with the same Q.

Don't remove the gas connection. Without that, you are expecting gas to flow up and wort to flow down the dip-tube in order for the wort to transfer, that obviously won't happen as it's submerged. As the wort transfers from the top keg to the bottom it will reduce pressure in the top keg and increase it in the lower. Without the gas line to equalise pressures it will stop the wort flowing pretty damned quick and kill the syphon action.

And use the largest diameter liquid line you have, ie 6 mm or 8mm. An 8mm liquid line has double the radius of a 4mm line and so the flow will be 16 times greater. Although the other narrow openings such as posts and diptubes are checkpoints, they will be fixed in either a narrow tube or wider tube system.

Back