Keg to keg filtration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooa

Reaction score
I'm just after peoples thoughts on the 1 micron absolute cartridge filer systems. I've just used one for the first time & I'm a little concerned it has detracted from my head ( well not my head but the beers head). Anyway, previous brews have had great head retention. This one, not so much. So do you think it is the filter removing the foam forming proteins, or the sanitiser that i pushed through the filter first? Previously I've used geletin to clarify, and no filtration.

Brooa said:
I'm just after peoples thoughts on the 1 micron absolute cartridge filer systems. I've just used one for the first time & I'm a little concerned it has detracted from my head ( well not my head but the beers head). Anyway, previous brews have had great head retention. This one, not so much. So do you think it is the filter removing the foam forming proteins, or the sanitiser that i pushed through the filter first? Previously I've used geletin to clarify, and no filtration.
You'll probably get heaps of arguments from this question but I felt my head retention suffered from filtering as well.
Not only that, I think quite a bit of hop flavour & character was taken away as well. I ended up ditching the filtering idea & like you, I filtered from keg to keg under pressure. All I do now is cold crash @1deg for a week & the beers are extremely clear especially after a few weeks in the keg.

Latest posts

Back