Keg Setups - Gas Mixture?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel_cabban

Reaction score
i bought a 2.6kg keg king co2 bottle from ebay, and on the label reads "food grade co2" to me this means 100% CO2...

recently i have been told by 2 different publicans that they mix with nitrogen, and the co2 they get is 55%co2 mixed in nitrogen, and depending on the popularity of the kegs, they can change to 40% for less popular kegs, up to 70% for faster moving kegs, or 100% in the post mix.

i've had massive over-carb problems with my kegerator in the past which im just starting to get on top of (maybe), and now wondering if this could have made my problems worse, being that i only pour 2-4 beers a day mixing 100% co2.

does this relate to home brew at all? would a lower ratio of co2 to nitrogen carbonate beer more slowly? is it readily available in different mixtures?

does my rambling even make sense?
cheers joel

Completely irrelevant to a short line draught system. Long-line draught systems like in pubs need a nitrogen-co2 mix because the length of the lines is such that you'd have to have far too high a partial pressure of co2 just to get a decent flow rate. Which would increase the carbonation of the beer over time. In order for the system to be correctly balanced and still have a good flow rate, they use a (depending on the exact setup they may alternatively use a pre-mixed cylinder of co2 and nitrogen) nitrogen generator and gas mixer to give the correct partial pressure of CO2 to maintain carbonation, and then enough partial pressure of N2 to drive the beer. This works because nitrogen's got buggerall solubility in water

In a kegerator or any other short line draught system this doesnt apply. with just 100% co2 set to the right pressure to maintain carbonation you'll get a perfectly good flow rate.

Your overcarbonation problems have another source. Either you've just flat out got the gas turned too high, or you arent carbonating it right to begin with, or the system isnt balanced.

yeah thanks mate, i thought that the N2 solubility might have been the case.

as for over carb, i think ill re read all the procedures on the forum again

cheers

Does anyone know if you can carb up a keg using co2/nitrogen mix?

Thanks Ross.
Are the pressures and times the same?

I personally use the CO2 with the "Ross Method" however only rock for thirty seconds for carbonating & use the mix to push the beer. I find there is no noticeable difference in taste & your carbing time is significantly faster.

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Latest posts

Back