Keg Set Up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ive been thinking after reading how a few of you feel so strongly about kegging beer, and after bottling 62 stubbies last night thought that it must be a hell of alot easier to just put the bulk of the beer into one keg as opposed to various bottles...

So I was wondering what the rough start up cost of a keg set up would be? Whats involved and what are the best/cheapest ways of doing things?

Help is appreciated.

Cheers

Approx $650 if u include $100 for a fridge.

this is how i work it out:
$100 for regulator from ebay
$50 for Tap from Ebay
$80 for keg (although i have 4. based this price on 1)
$270 on 6.5kg CO2 Bottle (cant remember this price. i think its approx this amount. $50 to fill up. needed once a year)
$30 for disconnects (the parts the connect to the keg. one in one out)
$100 for fridge (if you dont have 1 alrady)
$20 for Beer/Gas Lines

I was reading on here somewhere (cant seem to find it anymore) about carbonating the keg using priming sugar, then using a soda stream bottle to force out the beer, would I still need a regulator if I was to do it this way? I obviously wouldnt need the gas bottle being the expensive part? Im happy to prime my kegs if it saves me money, but is there any reason this isnt a good idea?

Cheers

you can prime your kegs with suguar that no problem. you still need some sort of regulator for the soda stream bottle though to regulate how much gas you use to push the beer out of the keg. dosnt have to be a super dooper $100 brand new reg though, can be second hand.

My mate tried to do this. It did work fine to start with.
however he ended up giving up and buying a co2 bottle + regulator.

u need it to clean the lines. + naturally priming takes a lot longer. and when it goes flat ur screwed.

I have recently purchased components for a kegging system with the final parts due to arrive today.

Here was the damage for me:

Fridge (already have it)
Kegs - $110 (for 2)
Regulator + gas line (and postage) - $100
Gas/beer lines disconnects + party tap ~ $50
Rented Liquidare 22kg bottle + gas - $92 ( includes $22 rental p/a )

So all up including the 2 kegs ~ $352 sans fridge

I also picked up a counter pressure filler while I was at it for another $80.

I was reading on here somewhere (cant seem to find it anymore) about carbonating the keg using priming sugar, then using a soda stream bottle to force out the beer, would I still need a regulator if I was to do it this way? I obviously wouldnt need the gas bottle being the expensive part? Im happy to prime my kegs if it saves me money, but is there any reason this isnt a good idea?

Cheers

if cost is an issue you can hire your bottle from BOC or the HBS. In the long run it will cost more but to keep initial setup cost down you can hire then after 12mths buy outright.

you can definitely do it cheap. as already said, pick up bits and pieces from here and there.

or you could go a brand new system which should last ages with 'top-of-the-line' taps (5 kegs, 5 ceili taps, 6 way manifold, reg etc) about $1300 + gas bottle.

Back