Keg Question - How To Care For The Rubber Handles And Bottom?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 384

Reaction score
Hi

I've bought some 2nd hand kegs and on a couple the rubber handles and bottom are slightly perished. When you touch the rubber it leaves black all over your hands.

What is the best way to stop to fix the problem?

Cheers
MAH

Hi

I've bought some 2nd hand kegs and on a couple the rubber handles and bottom are slightly perished. When you touch the rubber it leaves black all over your hands.

What is the best way to stop to fix the problem?

Cheers
MAH

i've had the very same problem with some of mine... seems to be the current 'cheap' ones on the market from various sponsors (my 2 older ones that i paid a lot more from the LHBS never did it...)

i soaked mine in PBW overnight, each end, and this seemed to stop the blackness on my hands a bit but still not perfect and i'm not convinced on whether or not the PBW is safe on the rubber...

i'll be most interested in others' methods...

I scrubbed my black handles with the spongey side of a stainless steel green scrubby when I was refurbishing/polishing them with pbw etc.

seems to have helped. It seems they sortof leech and you can take it off...

you end up with a black scrubby ;)

Never tried it on Cornies, but Armor All (car detailing product) is really good for restoring/protecting plastics and rubbers.

Never tried it on Cornies, but Armor All (car detailing product) is really good for restoring/protecting plastics and rubbers.

i was thinking about a car care product... i've got this awesome 'car black stuff restorer' from Meguiars... might give that a go too...

that restores the black not sure if it will stop the leaching. I just wear old clothes and wash my hands after

I skinned the MDF shelf I put into my keg fridge with .3mm aluminium sheet, and it was ripped up by a bloody green corny keg.

I cleaned the keg with sodium perc on purchase, but it has since developed a tendency to molecularly bond to aluminium (well, it sticks like sh*t to a blanket). I like the idea of a product like Armor All providing a barrier with glycerin or whatever.

mdf in any a moist enviroment is a bad idea. Unless you mad the stainless 100% water proof by adding a few layers of water proof membrane it will swell over time. Maybe look at merantie or marine ply

Meguires used to do a product "back to black" for old Lasers and things in the days when bumper bars were black and not colour blended into the car as they now are which is how come the bastards charged (my insurance company thankfully) a grand for a simple rear ender ... end of rant. I wonder if they still stock it, it was silicone based but a bit more savage than armorall and required some elbow grease IIRC from my old Nissan EXA days.

anyone tried "tyre black"

Probably "Tyre Shine" would be a better thing to investigate. Tyre black is usually just a colouring sort of product instead of a cleaning and nourishing sorta product. There are quite a few gel type of tyre shinners out there. Maybe they would be ok?

Personally I don't like putting armourall on a car dash. Why put cooking oil on something and leave it in the baking hot sun under a glass cover if you don't want it cooked? I use an anti static - dust repelling spray-on such as cobra cote.

Latest posts

Back