Keg Pressure Differential?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My gas line is split into 3 with 2 tees,my GF said the soda water tasted beery not that i noticed, but its on a seperate line and bottle now just have to wait to see if she notices any difference.
Interesting... we've never noticed that and I've got a soda water keg just off another T piece. Maybe the wife is just too used to drinking my beer. :icon_chickcheers:

Same here, I always keep 1 keg full of soda water and never noticed a beer flavour in it.

QldKev

my GF said the soda water tasted beery
never noticed a beer flavour in it.

<snip> diffusion will take gas (and the constituent aromatic molecules, etc) from one keg over to the other, and vice-versa.
Note that I mentioned aromatics here, not flavours. Getting flavours to run from one keg to another would be an entirely different kettle keg of fish. You're unlikely to get much (if any) absorption of, say a belgian aroma into even a light lager, but in the case of a wandering infection it's something to be vary cautious about and aware of.

If you're getting beer flavours in your soda water, consider perhaps a proper clean-out of your lines/taps.

Note that I mentioned aromatics here, not flavours. Getting flavours to run from one keg to another would be an entirely different kettle keg of fish. You're unlikely to get much (if any) absorption of, say a belgian aroma into even a light lager, but in the case of a wandering infection it's something to be vary cautious about and aware of.

If you're getting beer flavours in your soda water, consider perhaps a proper clean-out of your lines/taps.

QB, on the subject, what is the best cleaner for beer lines... Is it PBW and also, how often are we all doing this... Clean the lines and dismantle the taps too, or just run the cleaner through it??

ALSO, soda water. Now forgive this dumb question, but you're using plain ol' tap water to do this?? This would keep my wife most happy me thinks...

ALSO, soda water. Now forgive this dumb question, but you're using plain ol' tap water to do this?? This would keep my wife most happy me thinks...
it would be (im assuming). go mineral water instead. ive always got a keg of it for the wife and kids.

use a one way valve on each lien and then your guaranteed not to have any issues with 'flavours', smells etc transferring from keg to keg.

QB, on the subject, what is the best cleaner for beer lines... Is it PBW and also, how often are we all doing this... Clean the lines and dismantle the taps too, or just run the cleaner through it??
Best cleaner? Not sure. There's commercial products made just for this I believe. PBW can be used, but be sure to rinse well.

Personally, I have a keg of StarSan mixed up and gassed sitting next to my keg fridge. I run some through my lines after each session in the hope that this keeps them fairly clean. I dismantle my taps every so often, give them a good wash in PBW, hide in terror at what I find inside, have a beer, set back up, forget it ever happened.

I'm told that some people go to the trouble of recreating the water profile of San Pelligrino from RO water, then gas it up. Just a little cheaper than the real thing.

In my case it's just water from the water filter. But the Mineral water thread has got me thinking. Also mine is only kept at normal beer serving pressure, not the higher pressure to get the extra volume of CO2 into it.

QldKev

In my case it's just water from the water filter. But the Mineral water thread has got me thinking. Also mine is only kept at normal beer serving pressure, not the higher pressure to get the extra volume of CO2 into it.

QldKev
i have a one way valve on 1 of my 6 lines and use that to carb my lagers and mineral waterl that way i can have it at a higher pressure without scrwewing around with the other beers

Latest posts

Back