Keg Post Leaking?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flano

Reaction score
I have a corni that when gassed up leaks beer out through the top of the "beer out" post.

It leeks from right in the middle of the post ..and unless I had it connected to the line it would probably completely de-gas over time.

Anyone had this problem before?
do I replace the post ...the O ring or what?

cheers
norks.

Replace the poppet or poppet seal.

Maybe worth removing the post first & ceaning along with the poppet, as maybe just a bit of crud stopping it seating properly.

Cheers Ross

I have a corni that when gassed up leaks beer out through the top of the "beer out" post.

It leeks from right in the middle of the post ..and unless I had it connected to the line it would probably completely de-gas over time.

Anyone had this problem before?
do I replace the post ...the O ring or what?

cheers
norks.

Norks,

having exact same issue here:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=58292

Have had some success with suggestions in thread but some symptoms have returned. Looks like i need to whip off the post and replace some bits.

Cheers,
D80

thanks fella's
excuse my ignorance but when they say poppet are they reffering to the pressure relief pull poppet thingy in the keg lid ?
or has the centre of the post where the beer is leaking from got a poppet?

I have replaced the entire lid with a brand new one that has new poppet and seals...but the post is where the beer is leaking from.
is this thing the centre of the post ?...I have never pulled a keg apart.

a_corny_popet.jpg

That is the poppet beernorks, you most likely have some crap caught in the seat or the wrong poppet for the post. There are different sized poppets for different brands of kegs.

For a quick fix, up-end the keg so the out post is drawning air (CO2) from the head (tail) space and push the poppet in and out a few times testing it with some starsan solution for bubbles.

It'll seat eventually.

I had a kitchen beer fountain once with gunk in the poppet seal. When did you clean them last?

Do you use keg lube? Every few brews that goes through a keg I whip the post of and dab some lube on the poppet, found it helps a lot

CLEAN?
KEG LUBE?
HUH?

I clean every keg and flush lines every brew ...never pulled the post apart though.
Only recently worked out I could clean my taps.

I spray a bit of sanitzer onto the posts before hooking up lines..it seems to get them to click on a bit easier.

It is ok at the moment because it is hooked up to the line..when the keg is finished I will have a crack at cleaning the gunk from the poppet in the post.

thanks for the help fella's.

Sometimes bits of gunk such as pieces of hop debris will prevent a good seal.
I strip my kegs down to individual parts every couple of batches and soak all the parts in PBW and hot water and then apply a bit of keg lube to all the rubber seals ( go very very sparingly with lube).
If you still don't get a good seal check the condition of the seals and replace if dodgy.

Cheers
Chris

I clean every keg and flush lines every brew ...never pulled the post apart though.

If you are not pulling the keg apart you are not cleaning it. Rinsing or flushing maybe, but no way are you cleaning it.

Back