Keg Morality Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keg loss is a burden for all - esp because of the pricing. Most breweries if they had ordered from the supplier will have a 'remains property of XYZ' stamped on the Chime.

At rates of 10-15% loss per year and 4-5 million kegs in a large commercial breweries float, at $180-200 odd to land and clear them it gets to be an expensive exercise.

The large guys will and do have folks charged with theft, its that simple. I guess its like a hire car, you pay for the petrol and the car is just the delivery mechanism...

Scotty

i seriously doubt australian breweries keep 4-5 millions kegs in stock. That would mean with just lion nathan and cub there would almost be a keg for every 2 people in australia.

i seriously doubt australian breweries keep 4-5 millions kegs in stock. That would mean with just lion nathan and cub there would almost be a keg for every 2 people in australia.

Well we are a bunch of uncouth pissheads...

I pay $ 185 for a coopers real or pale ale up here in FNQ . $240 is a bit on the high side but as its micro not totaly outrages...

Glad that they are getting them back. :)

Cheers

Given that BT beers are in 330ml bottles, a keg is a little over 6 cases. $240 works out to be about $38 per case. That's not bad compared to the price you would pay for the bottles. I have always been under the impression that there really isn't much of a saving to be had buying a keg rather than bottles.

And the coopers at $180 sounds heaps cheaper but given that their cases are 9L not 8L, buying a keg is equivalent to $33 per case - not a heap of difference really. I'd rather the coopers though I reckon! :chug:

Given that BT beers are in 330ml bottles, a keg is a little over 6 cases. $240 works out to be about $38 per case. That's not bad compared to the price you would pay for the bottles. I have always been under the impression that there really isn't much of a saving to be had buying a keg rather than bottles.

And the coopers at $180 sounds heaps cheaper but given that their cases are 9L not 8L, buying a keg is equivalent to $33 per case - not a heap of difference really. I'd rather the coopers though I reckon! :chug:

The saving is going somewhere else. The tax on beer in containers over 48L (ie 50L kegs) is much lower than the tax on bottles. It was one of the concessions that the Liberals/Nationals made to the Democrats, to get the GST through the Senate.

Not when for every keg on tap 3-4 are off being cleaned, awaiting to go on tap, in transit etc etc.

An order for 1 large aussie brewery for 300,000 kegs or 10% of thier stock recently was placed i do beleive...

Scotty

given that coopers is $46 a case up here its heaps :beer:

I'm now off to find out where to get some cheap cornies....that or I'm going shopping at the IGA :ph34r:

Bartron

Beware, All cornies have "Property of Coca Cola or Pepsi" stamped on them :rolleyes:

cheers

Darren

Fosters' keg float is worth on the order of $400,000,000 and they lose a chunk of it every year to all sorts of stuff. Mainly theft for scrap metal.

To give you an idea of the volumes... At the Abbotsford brewery, if they start the day with a few thousand empty kegs in the yard... and no one brings back any empties... by early afternoon production stops to wait for some to come in

In a truly spectacular case of "borrowing" one year about 100 kegs were found being used to keep a jetty afloat on the Murray river. The decking of the jetty consisted of "borrowed" chep pallets and there were a number of milk crates attached that went into seats and benches etc.

The deal is basically this... if its got a brewery's name stamped, etched or painted on it... its not yours, not even if you bought it from the scrap dealer or the tip, or your mate.... Unless you have a letter on official letter head, from the brewery that owns the brand name, saying that they sold it to you and that you are the legal owner. If you are buying a branded keg from someone, if they haven't got such a letter, then they have no right to sell you the kegs.

If you are talking "old style" 18 gallon kegs or casks or the sort of things that just aren't used anymore... then you're probably fine... but if its a modern Sanke style keg... then someone wants it back.

I'm not saying anything bad about those of you who choose not to send them home, dont really give a rats, but just so you know.

The deal is basically this... if its got a brewery's name stamped, etched or painted on it... its not yours, not even if you bought it from the scrap dealer or the tip, or your mate.... Unless you have a letter on official letter head, from the brewery that owns the brand name, saying that they sold it to you and that you are the legal owner. If you are buying a branded keg from someone, if they haven't got such a letter, then they have no right to sell you the kegs.

Imagine needing a letter from Holden saying the car with their name on it isn't theirs.

Imagine needing a letter from Holden saying the car with their name on it isn't theirs.

:lol: I'd be in the shit then..... but I think we call those there things 'ownership papers'

Its $150 - $180 for a 50Lt CUB Keg (Full) down here in melb, i'd happily pay an extra $60 for good beer.

hmmmm did someone re-salvage this thread?

well while it is back up.

Seeing that CUB are going to rort $20 - $30 million dollars more from their beer drinking clientle by reducing the alcohol content, I have suddenly lost the last of the minuscule "moral issue" I ever had with "borrowing" their kegs.

Troy

I was under the impression that if a keg went missing from a hotel, then the hotel had to pay for it. e.g.
CUB delivers 30 kegs. end of wekk come to pick up empties but only 29 kegs left (1 has been borrowed). Then the hotel has to fork out cash for a missing keg.

I know a guy that 'borrowed' 5 kegs form a hotel after they wrongly dismissed him (his boss was doing the dodgy and he got the blame) without any pay in lieu). He was also under the impression that the hotel paid for them (or paid a fine at least) so he felt quite fine about borrowing the kegs and having the hotel pick up the tab.

its a moot argument for me, I only K&K/extract atm, but if I want a keg/boiler I'm a decent backyard welder and can make one.

I was under the impression that if a keg went missing from a hotel, then the hotel had to pay for it. e.g.
CUB delivers 30 kegs. end of wekk come to pick up empties but only 29 kegs left (1 has been borrowed). Then the hotel has to fork out cash for a missing keg.

I'm sure that if that was the case, then the pubs, clubs would place the kegs somewhere where they are not an easy target for passer's by.

The fact that they just plonk them where any passing traffic can see/access them suggests that this is false.

I may be wrong though :)

I'm sure that if that was the case, then the pubs, clubs would place the kegs somewhere where they are not an easy target for passer's by.

The fact that they just plonk them where any passing traffic can see/access them suggests that this is false.

All the suburban pubs around me either lock their kegs up (near the delivery area) or have them stashed away.

Be interesting to find out. Im sure a lot less people would 'borrow' them if they knew CUB etc paid for them and realised that increased costs emans increased prices of beer. Not that it matters too much to us HBrs :D

So where should I be parking my car when it is not at my house? :p

Latest posts

Back