Keg Morality Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you buy a keg from a hotel and you dont sign an agreement for the purchase with relevant, "keg is owned by the brewery and must be returned clause", then there is no obligation between you and the brewery nor the retailer. Its a different case entirely if the keg you have in your possession was knicked out of the carpark of a hotel.

I want to make it clear that I frankly don't care what other people do with kegs etc, I am merely stating the facts.

It doesn't matter whether you "sign" anything, it is clearly stated on the keg itself that its always owned by the brewery no matter what.

You are right that there is no obligation for you to return it, but there is an obligation for you not to cut the top out of it and use it as a brewing kettle, as it is simply not yours to do so. This cannot be disputed.

These are tha facts. As I said, if you want to use a keg for your brewery, go for it, but there is simply NO WAY you can justify it as being legit. That's all I am saying...

If you buy a keg from a hotel and you dont sign an agreement for the purchase with relevant, "keg is owned by the brewery and must be returned clause", then there is no obligation between you and the brewery nor the retailer. Its a different case entirely if the keg you have in your possession was knicked out of the carpark of a hotel.

I want to make it clear that I frankly don't care what other people do with kegs etc, I am merely stating the facts.

It doesn't matter whether you "sign" anything, it is clearly stated on the keg itself that its always owned by the brewery no matter what.

You are right that there is no obligation for you to return it, but there is an obligation for you not to cut the top out of it and use it as a brewing kettle, as it is simply not yours to do so. This cannot be disputed.

These are tha facts. As I said, if you want to use a keg for your brewery, go for it, but there is simply NO WAY you can justify it as being legit. That's all I am saying...

TD,

You are totally correct - the keg always remains the property of the brewery.

Also there is no way that anybody could think for one moment that the purchase price of a keg of beer includes the keg. A brewery makes about $50 profit on each 50 litre keg of beer sold, but a new keg costs $200 - $300 each. So they have to sell 6 kegs of beer just to cover the cost of the container.

Just doesn't add up.

I don't think anyone talked about damaging the keg, merely refilling it with their own brew.

Bigfridge, the local micros just did a purchase of new 50litre kegs costing $95.00 each.

Edited: spelling

Bigfridge, the local micros just did a purchase of new 50litre kegs costing $95.00 each.

Wow - at this price I will take 2 shipping containers full (this is about 800 kegs).

Can you please get send me their details as I am very serious - this is about half price !

But I am not interested if they are not new or not 50 litre stainless steel units.

:)

Crikey,

Bugger off to Sydney for the weekend and look what happens.

For the record, there are no plans to damage, cut, modify or sacrifice to your diety of choice. Just looking to re-fill them. If the brewery wants them back then they know who to ask. One would think that selling keg after keg to th IGA and never getting any back might tweak some eyebrows at the brewers but I'm thinking that my mate is spending a good couple hundred on these things....maybe more..he likes boutique beer so he probably thinks it's worth it when in fact he is paying for the keg as well.

The brewery in question BTW is BlueTongue...if anyone on here is from there, come get the kegs.

I agree with not ripping anyone off, big or small. The big guys have plenty kegs to go around to it probably seems 'easier' to rip off from them. Plenty of people seem to be doing it though...it's a bit like milk crates and them wooden pallets (at one stage I lived in a share flat with a $2000 lounge suite....4 milk crates...$500 fine a pop).

Untill someone wonders where all these kegs are going then I'll fill em up for cheaper than my mate can buy them....one day someone will want them back, and that's ok.

Bartron

The brewery in question BTW is BlueTongue...if anyone on here is from there, come get the kegs.

Untill someone wonders where all these kegs are going then I'll fill em up for cheaper than my mate can buy them....one day someone will want them back, and that's ok.

Bartron,

Blue Tongue is a local brewery of mine and real nice people as well.

I have sent a PM with their contact details. If you could pass this onto your mate they would be more than happy to call and arrange for a pick-up to the brewery.

They were very thankful to hear that some of their lost kegs had been found and happy to bring them back home.

It is the same with shopping trolleys, you are never the owner of one, even if you get a receipt to say you are....The supermarkets can be bastards and say that they still own the trolly cause they have their name on it...

In the meantime, consider it your property, having paid for it.

But this is the thing, these kegs are NEVER the property of the purchaser. When you buy a keg of beer, you are buying the beer NOT the keg. The keg remains the property of the brewer no matter what. That's why they have "Remains the property of xyz brewery" stamped on the top. And I've also been told that any 3rd party use is also illegal. Of course, you would have to expect that a brewery would rather you use it for one batch of home brew and then return it to the brewery, rather than cut the top out of it! But either option is technically illegal. There are no two ways about it. I'm not telling anybody here what to do, that is up to them, but it really is a futile task trying to justify stealing kegs as if its above board.
At the risk of going OT, what is the status of a keg that states "Remains the property of Tooths Brewery" or some other defunct entity?

Keg loss is a burden for all - esp because of the pricing. Most breweries if they had ordered from the supplier will have a 'remains property of XYZ' stamped on the Chime.

At rates of 10-15% loss per year and 4-5 million kegs in a large commercial breweries float, at $180-200 odd to land and clear them it gets to be an expensive exercise.

The large guys will and do have folks charged with theft, its that simple. I guess its like a hire car, you pay for the petrol and the car is just the delivery mechanism...

Scotty

At the risk of going OT, what is the status of a keg that states "Remains the property of Tooths Brewery" or some other defunct entity?

I would expect that the keg remains the property of whoever bought the assets of the 'defunct' brewery ie the company that bought them and moved the production/brands elsewhere.

It the case of Tooths I guess that it would be either Lion Nathan or CUB.

It the case of Tooths I guess that it would be either Lion Nathan or CUB.
[/quote]

Theres a zillion Powers kegs still in the Market - CUB bought Powers and built Yattala. So the powers Kegs are CUB's.

Will have to look up in the Breweries of Australia, i am sure that Tooths is Lion. Cant remember...

I have posted this recently and I will post it again. Fosters offers rewards to their employees to help recover lost kegs. I have attached the flyer;
View attachment 10252

OK so it is not like last Saturday night when me & a few mates got a cab home from the city. :party: Thought the fare was a bit pricey so we kept the taxi as we considered we had paid for it! :angry:
Even though it says Premier Cabs on the side we thought $55 from The Cross to Eastwood was a bit steep :beerbang:
Cheers
Gerard

On a similar note, and just for interest sake, the money you have in your wallet.... it's not yours!

Edit: oooh and two bad puns!

ok...contacted Blue Tonge and they are going to organise a pickup or something.

My mate originally paid $240 per keg (including the beer) and they are taking up space in his garage. I've given him contact details to make it all happen.

I'm supprised that the local IGA didn't want the know about the empties though...you'd think Blue Tongue would get a bit suss about all the missing kegs. Whenever he purchased them there wasn't anything to sign or something to say he had the kegs (or a security deposit or something)....he just bought the beer in 50l batches, no questions asked. Funny becasue Blue Tongue were the ones that said to go to that particular IGA to buy their brew.

Anyway...all sorted now and no-one is going to hell just yet. :beer:

I'm now off to find out where to get some cheap cornies....that or I'm going shopping at the IGA :ph34r:

Bartron

$240 per keg (including the beer)

Yeah bluetongue is nice, but ouch :(

Latest posts

Back