Keg Level Indicator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettman2

Reaction score
Just in the process of developing / building a decent and simple to use keg level meter. Basically, it's just the old idea of monitoring the kegs weight, but with custom built electronic scales. The base that the keg sits on is only slightly bigger than the footprint of the keg, therefore not taking up excess room in the fridge. The readout is an analogue meter that can be put wherever convenient. In my case, I have mounted it just above the beer tap.

So far it seems to be reasonably accurate and repeatable, so I will be building another one for my other beer tap soon.

I am wanting to know, if anyone else would be interested in such a device. I will consider making more if anyone is interested in buying them.

Not sure on cost at the moment, ballpark figure of anywhere between $50 - $80.

Cheers,

Brett

Do you have any photos of the arrangement? I think it's a great idea but have never had the time to work through it myself.

Also, my big concern would be how the scales would hold up in a damp environment. Any keg leak or a build up of condensation could kill the whole system.

That said I think it's an awesome idea! Especially when you've had 3 beer kegs blow in almost consecutive pours and don't have anything ready in the pipeline!

contrarian said:
Do you have any photos of the arrangement? I think it's a great idea but have never had the time to work through it myself.

Also, my big concern would be how the scales would hold up in a damp environment. Any keg leak or a build up of condensation could kill the whole system.

That said I think it's an awesome idea! Especially when you've had 3 beer kegs blow in almost consecutive pours and don't have anything ready in the pipeline!
No I don't have any photos as yet, I am not home at the moment. As far as moisture goes, the base that the keg sit on is plastic, so moisture wouldn't affect it. The only electronics contained in the fridge are the sensors. It looks as though that they are fairly well sealed, so it shouldn't be an issue there either. It is a bit experimental at the moment, but the early signs are good.

Latest posts

Back