Keg King ROBOBREW 35L SINGLE VESSEL BREWERY

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its decent. I was just wondering if people have had trouble in low air temps before? I can set it to 140 and it wont show hotter than 100 well hasnt so far with no insulation and ambient temps below 18degrees.

rollingboil.jpg

rollingboil2.jpg

At 400m above sea level the boiling point of water is about 98.5 degrees.

That boil looks fine to me.

Doing a brew now
Mine doesn't start to boil till 103°

Accurate Altimeter app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arlabsmobile.altimeter&hl=en

boil

Accurate Altimeter.png

Attachments

• boil.png
    boil.png
    226.3 KB · Views: 101
cliffo said:
At 400m above sea level the boiling point of water is about 98.5 degrees.

That boil looks fine to me.
Ah-ha......yeah didnt think of that hey.....thanks mate. 100 should be fine they :D

So a mate has asked about Grainfather vs Robobrew. RB has caught his eye due to the lower price, but he's going in with a mate so it might not be that big an issue.

Sounds like there are a couple of niggling issues, and maybe a couple of small mods required to get the best out of it. For somebody new to brewing, are people thinking the Robobrew is solid or would people go with the Grainfather? Apologies if this isn't the appropriate place to ask the question...

Exile said:
Anyone have problems with surface rust on the lid?

attachicon.gif
rust.jpg

A mate of mine recommended this stuff to me http://www.ibrew.com.au/products/innogel-b450-organic-cleaning-product-for-stainless-steel

1 hour after applying it

attachicon.gif
no rust.jpg

Highly recommend it...... no affiliation blah blah blah
Hey Exile,

I am a bit of a cleaning nazi......OCD issues. Anyhow, when I finish a brew day I clean everything thoroughly, and all my stainless steel gear gets a going over with my all time favourite product; Barman's Friend. It is designed specifically for stainless. A largish container costs maybe $8-10 and it lasts forever. Make everything moist and use a soft cloth to rub the powder onto surfaces. I will bet when you use that stuff any issues with surface rust will be prevented.

See you, Anthony

I bought mine as a second from KK. It had some rust in the inside of the lid. I soaked it overnight in PBW and then it scrubbed right off.

I've just bought one and recirc pump/camlocks, after much procrastination. Be nice to be brewing allgrain again in this shoebox of an apartment :)

Out of interest what's the outside dimensions of the immersion chiller tubing? I'll see if I can find a compression fitting for it so I can camlock that too

Dinham said:
I bought mine as a second from KK. It had some rust in the inside of the lid. I soaked it overnight in PBW and then it scrubbed right off.
Ohh thats interesting, mind if I ask how much KK charged for a 2nd? Also any idea if they have more?

Mine arrived this morning, just recircing some hot sodium perc while I check everything's working :). Also plumbed a camlock outlet into an existing water connection under the kitchen sink, with a tap (for filling and chilling). This is a rental apartment, so needed a solution I can take off when we move, without damaging anything. This seems to work fine

https://goo.gl/photos/7LNTnC3bNrcofkxC8

There's a couple of fittings not shown cause I'm waiting for them off ebay, such as the camlock inlet/outlet connections to the chiller (using 12mm to half inch bsp female compression fittings), and camlocks on the outlet tap

Sorted the one thing that was most annoying me today...

Camlocks on the inlets and outlets of the immersion chiller

Just did my first beer big beer in my RB over the weekend.

An imperial stout which was supposed to come out at 1.096 OG, but only hit 1.090.

I had to split the mash as I couldn't fit the 10kg of grain in the malt pipe, I think this is where I lost some efficiency as I could only sparge the second mash. Any tips for beers like this? I see myself making a few really strong beers over winter.

Homicidal Teddybear said:
Sorted the one thing that was most annoying me today...

Camlocks on the inlets and outlets of the immersion chiller
Nice. But why not use hose fittings? Would be easier to connect to water pipes then.

takai said:
Nice. But why not use hose fittings? Would be easier to connect to water pipes then.
Not to mention a heck of a lot cheaper.

jayahhdee said:
Ohh thats interesting, mind if I ask how much KK charged for a 2nd? Also any idea if they have more?
About $50 off I think. They didn't have any more at the time and I got the impression factory seconds don't come up often.

takai said:
Already using camlocks for everything else. They're secure, inexpensive, just dont leak, last forever, have bog standard pipe threads, you can visually see they're locked, ...

This setup lets me just rip the camlock silicone hoses off the pump and throw them on the immersion chiller for the boil.

As to connecting to the waterpipe end, I've got a camlock outlet there too, which I also use for filling the robobrew before mashin too

Dinham said:
Not to mention a heck of a lot cheaper.
Not really? Those are all ebay parts, think it cost me about $12 a side (EDIT - no my bad, $20 a side) including female barbed camlocks for the hose ends... that's about exactly what garden hose fittings cost alone, and I'd still need a 3/4" bsp or 1" bsp to 12mm compression fitting to get the thread on there

EDIT - The elbows are to stop hose kinks btw if that wasnt clear

$40 for two hose connectors? You and I clearly shop at different hardware stores. :)

Hose coupling - $2
Hose connector - $2
2x hose clamps - $1.75 ea (something like $0.85 ea if you buy a box of 10)

Max $7.50 per side by my calculations.

hose1.jpg

I'm not knocking your choices, it just seems like an expensive way to go for me. :)

Back