Keg King New Corny Kegs: Metallic Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewchampion

Reaction score
I purchased two NEW Keg King Corny Kegs to add to my collection of pre existing Second hand kegs.
First brew tasted metallic / tinny, so I assumed they wernt passivated correctly.
Second batch I passivated using Iodophor on Marks (MHB) instructions. (With plenty of rinsing and air drying after)
Same result, tinny beer.

Any one else getting the same thing from these new kegs? Or are my taste buds going mad?

I bought one about 2 weeks ago and passivated it before kegging a pale. Was my first home kegged beer but i didn't notice a metallic taste.

When I did clean it prior to use, there was definitely some trace oil or something left over from manufacturing process.

I picked up a couple of the 9L ones in the bulk buy a couple of months back, no issues that I have picked up on

I have a 9L one as well. I didn't passivate and the beer tasted great.

Metallic tastes in beer are more likely to come from poorly handled malt, or from infection. How did it taste in the hydrometer?
What recipe? Age of the grain? Was it stored airtight? Cracked a long time ago?
I really doubt you would ever get a metallic taste from SS.
What really matters is how it tasted prior to packaging. Do you taste at every stage of fermentation?

How did you clean the kegs before you applied the Iodophor and at what solution? From my understanding Iodophor is primarily used as a sanitizer not so much a cleaner.

I'd be giving them a good soak with PBW or, thanks to the Brewbucket thread, some TSP cleaner from the big green shed. This should remove any oily residues from the manufacturing process and leave a clean surface for passivation. Once dry you can let the steel naturally passivate or apply a chemical like starsan or iodophor.

I picked up some metallic tastes from my first batch in the brewbucket which seemed to dissipate (or I became accustomed to it!) and suspect I rushed the cleaning process in my effort to ferment in it. I did it properly the next batch, and with my 2nd bucket and haven't encountered the taste again.

Check for rust, check lines, check beer before transfer, check fittings for any rust, etc.
So many things that can cause metallic flavours.
Try running some soda water through after the next clean (as in clean water and co2.
If the flavour remains, you know it's in the system somewhere, so then you have to work through and isolate kegs, hoses or fittings.

Latest posts

Back