Keg King New Kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had a look of one of these that belonged to another member that was having problems that it would only pour foam. ended up bending the dip tube slightly so it had more clearance to the base of the keg. this one didnt have the keg king log but was pretty much the same as the one pictured. it felt cheap and thin. it actually flexed while i was tightening the keg posts.

Just thought I should update, I sent the keg back today and received a a refund today, very quick and pleasant service, and I will be buying some more gear from Keg King in future, just not these kegs!

Cheers

As part of sending it back did you suggest that Keg King look into requesting design and quality changes from supplier?

I do not understand why retailers don't take a stand on these Chinese imported products, people would rather pay $10 extra and get a better quality product and that $10 would pay for a great improvement in quality in a Chinese product.

I do not understand why retailers don't take a stand on these Chinese imported products, people would rather pay $10 extra and get a better quality product and that $10 would pay for a great improvement in quality in a Chinese product.

Unfortunately this is often not true... Take XXXXXX to name just a few. People regularly just go for price, even when they know the product they are buying is questionable to say the least.
I've had it out with importers (on many occaisions) that there is no need to import rubbish product, but unfortunately they just deny the issues & carry on, as there are still plenty of retailers/customers who keep buying.
Fortunately the better homebrew stores are waking up to the issues & ARE starting to make a stand, but that doesn't stop numerous others (especially some online stores) who appear to be in it for a quick buck with little regard to quality.
Sorry for the rant, but I spend so much time sorting out quality issues for people that never occured a few years ago....it's really frustrating.

Ross

Edit: Removed reference to several products, as no real need to list them.

Unfortunately this is often not true... Take XXXXXX to name just a few. People regularly just go for price, even when they know the product they are buying is questionable to say the least.
I've had it out with importers (on many occaisions) that there is no need to import rubbish product, but unfortunately they just deny the issues & carry on, as there are still plenty of retailers/customers who keep buying.
Fortunately the better homebrew stores are waking up to the issues & ARE starting to make a stand, but that doesn't stop numerous others (especially some online stores) who appear to be in it for a quick buck with little regard to quality.
Sorry for the rant, but I spend so much time sorting out quality issues for people that never occured a few years ago....it's really frustrating.

Ross

I was probably one of the people who went for price (frustrating, no doubt, Ross in the process) - I have a limited budget to work with. However, I did listen to Ross (and Anthony on the day), lowered my sights, but bought the quality items (good quality taps, rather than a cheap crap font, driptray, cheap crap tap; good quality reg; extra fittings to make life easier).

My system is probably understated in a sense - but I feel confident in its quality and use, and the service I got from Anthony on the day, despite a shop choc-full of people (not a Manly NRL joke, before you ask) was fantastic. The bloke took his time, didn't hurry me on and I asked all the questions I needed, without being made to feel foolish - you don't get service like this any more, except at CB.

In turn, I won't hurry myself - the Kegerator, etc can wait - and CB will get my business for this. In the meantime, my spare fridge has a quality kegging system in it, and I'll brew like crazy, so I have enough in there to ensure that by the time I've run out, I'll be able to buy the kegerator, and the spare fridge can return to temp control duties (which I'll need it to by warmer weather).

Thanks again Ross & Anthony.

Now, to fix up the Engrish instructions for the reg...... :D

Goomba

Ross

Don't apologize for the rant, as a purchaser, I'd more often prefer to pay the extra! Nothing annoys me more than buying a pack of screws from Bun_craps for $9.95 just to find that when you torque up the screw driver the heads strip out or the screw twists itself in half. And for me, its a 40 minute drive back to Bun_crap to return them, so it is often not worth my freaking while!

You retailers should form a buyers co-op and order a container load of higher quality new kegs (with rubber round the bottom) from China and cut the middle man out altogether! Why deal with the importer when the Chinese will happily work directly with you.

One thing I forgot to mention it is really easy for the PRV to leak beer while filling or transporting these, because the keyring bit levers it open really easily. If you bump it it can spray out beer all over the shop. I don't know why it bothers me, but I dislike that the lid only goes on one way because of the post placement.

Yup, I didn't like how tight the lid was to get in as well

As part of sending it back did you suggest that Keg King look into requesting design and quality changes from supplier?

no but I told him that I was returning it because the internals were not sanitary welds, and I couldn't see how the keg could be cleaned/sanitized properly...

Ross

Ross I think you have a great site and prices and infact just bought some more gear from you, but figured I was looking to buy 4 kegs so of course price became a factor on top of the black rubber coming off my older kegs, figured these kegs without the rubber would solve all my problems, ha I was wrong... will stick with the 19l CB kegs now, just give the rubber some hell and should be all good :) no need to apologise, can only imagine how many calls, emails and forum posts you answer to help us all out, always much appreciated! Actually had some questions for you which I have now forgotton again haha

Thanks again to all for replies, etc.

Lessons learned for all hopefully!

I have 4 of these KK kegs, 2 big and 2 small. I have run several brews throught them and have had no problems with them. Yes they may shoot foam out the PRV after you have forced carbed but that is it. They don't leak, they are nice and light (which is nice when your back is f#cked) and I have not had mounds of bacteria growning in the welds. Also when you are giving them a hot rinse, just hold the bottom with a tea-towel and through the magic of cloth you will not burn your hands.

I bought these new as I have had all sorts of issues with second hand kegs leaking even after I have replaced the seals, etc. and for the price they are quite servicable. Not as solid as an italian style cornie with the black plastic bottom and top, but again a hell of a lot cheaper.

I just get the feeling that people are reading too much into what makes a 'good' keg. I have seen people use horrible looking goop filled kegs bought off ebay that have been festering for god knows how long, but are cool with it because they have been made in the US or Oz, go figure, at least these ones were clean, especially after a good soak in PBW.

I just get the feeling that people are reading too much into what makes a 'good' keg. I have seen people use horrible looking goop filled kegs bought off ebay that have been festering for god knows how long, but are cool with it because they have been made in the US or Oz, go figure, at least these ones were clean, especially after a good soak in PBW.
But any "horrible looking goop" that has "been festering" is an organic substance, which a hot soak in PBW/percarbonate will eat/kill/clean petty quick-smart - leaving the kegs essentially as good as new on the inside (as long as the stuff/damage/goop is not inorganic, rust etc).

In addition to what Wolfy said,

we always state that cleaning is 90% of the sanitizing process, hence why we don't want places in the keg / any brewing gear to harbor crap.

Ok, so a link to this thread has recently been posted, and the 'do a search FFS' function takes me to this thread also.

I was going to buy some of the new 19L keg king kegs very shortly. Are they really this terrible? Surely many people must have trouble free first-hand experience with them (or am I just being optimistic)?

I purchased a 9l keg from Keg King reduced to around $40 I think because it had scratches on the outside.

I was told they are cheap crap. But had already brought it so decided to suck it and see. I've just blown a black IPA through it and other than the QD,s being a bit tight to get on (nothing a bit of Vaseline couldn't fix)
I had no problems whatsoever.
I'm more than happy with the keg especially for the money saved.

Thanks Truman. Anyone else got experience with these kegs (19L)? ... advice from others with hands-on experience would be appreciated...

Lecterfan said:
Thanks Truman. Anyone else got experience with these kegs (19L)? ... advice from others with hands-on experience would be appreciated...
I've got 2 and I like them. A couple of issues I had though, one was missing a dip tube and both had PRVs that released at about 30 psi, not much good for force carbonation. I sent them an email and they were helpful enough.

I actually ordered 2 more not long after I bought them but bizzarely they sent 2 second hand cornies. :huh: I decided to keep them and have added to my stock of cornies since.

I haven't had any problems with them at all since the initial issues were resolved. When lifting a full keg I find that the handles are quite sharp though.

Only cos I have a deal of sorts worked out, but of course it won't be worth it if these kegs are indeed as inferior as this earlier topic suggests.

Thanks for the replies. I won't be force carbing them, in fact they will be primed and carbonating in the keg as they will primarily be for my 'winter beers' - pommy ales etc that can sit in the back porch.

The way I see it the problem of the seams/welds harboring crap wont be a problem initially. It could be a couple of months, it could be years, it may be never. If/when an infection decided it looks like a good place to live, then I think you will lose many kegs of beer trying to resolve it. That's why it would not be accepted as a commercial food grade weld, and they are not in my kegerator.

I've got one of the 9 litre keg king kegs. Only got it because 9 litre cornys were really expensive. All my other kegs are 19 lt cornelius kegs. Havnt had any major issues with the keg king keg, but it is nowhere near the build quality of the corny kegs. The metal joins are a bit dodgy and you need to make sure you do a really good cleaning, sanitizing job. The upwards dome bottom and short dip tube is also annoying. There is normally about a pint of beer left in the bottom after the keg blows.

If the keg king keg is a LOT cheaper and you dont use it all the time it will be ok. For regular use get a 2nd hand cornelius and a seal kit.

What's the brand name of the 9L 'Italian' kegs people are talking about?

Latest posts

Back