Keg King New Kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zxhoon

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have searched high and low and could only find a bunch of threads about the keg king CO2 bottles, of which I just purchased one (should have searched first maybe)
anyways thats a whole other issue if it is stamped correctly or not, I can't make it out that well...

I'm looking at the brand new kegs that keg king sell, 9l is a good size for my bar fridge, are the new kegs that keg king sell ok?

for some reason you can get them on fleabay (beerspiritsdirect1) delivered for much less than walking into the store and buying it over the counter acording to the kk price list??

item in question
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9Litre-Ball-Loc...=item4aacdb3a0e

9l.jpg

anyone got one, either 9l or 19l? any reason not to use them?

Thanks!

I handle these at work and can say that if you can afford the rubberised Italian 9L jobs, then they are a far superior build quality. While I am not doubting these are pressure rated, the lack of rubber around the ends, and feeling how thin the stainless is, makes me nervous when placing them on hard surfaces during cleaning and filling etc. I would imagine that it would not take much abrasion from concrete to get a pinhole to appear in the ridge on the base where it meets the floor. The reason the reconditioned cornelius kegs are dinged up is because they have experienced a hard life, being thrown around on delivery runs, but they were designed to take it.

So I suggest the 18.9 or 9L Italian ones for new, and they are awesome, or the old 18.9L corny kegs. I have actually suggested to people that they put some kind of padding on the ends of these to preserve them.

The only thing I can say is a plus is that the base is convex and the pickup tube is in the centre, so it would reduce some sediment. Still, give me a corny.

Personally I wouldnt touch them, where the strake (the vertical sides) joins both the head and foot of the keg there is about a 6mm overlap.
I dont believe it is really possible to guarantee sterilisation with these kegs, better to spend a bit more and buy one of the Corny format kegs, they are available new for around a couple of hundred and should give you a lifetime of reliable service.
MHB

I'm keen to move over to kegging. Are these the ones to start off with? Not knowing anything at all about kegging/fittings/etc, im keen to get it right from the off. What kind of 'lock' is the best to use, as far as I can tell theres either ball-lock or pin-locks. What about CO2 bottles, sizes, etc?! Aarrrggh its all too much :)

Can anyone point me at a definitive 'set-up' doc/webpage or offer any help please? :)

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far, much appreciated.

Bizier, I currently have 8 of the 19l craft brewer cornies, and they are great, just dont fit in the bar fridge very well, and SWMBO says no modifications (will bide my time on that one haha)

whilst some need some new seals (which I have) and a tidy up, the only other issue I have is the black stuff coming off the rubber, I vaguely recall reading something about sealing it somehow, thats for a search tonight when I get home from work I think!

QldKev, have read the thread not sure why in my mind I thought the italian job (ha) were worth more than that delivered, if the black rubber was all good then that could be my option.

MHB, I've got one on the way so if it comes up for sale cheap in the gear for sale section you will know if I liked it or not haha do you think it would be ok for a soda water keg for the wife?

Im not against spending more money for quality gear, as stated I have 8 of the CB kegs, I've bought a lot of gear from CB but as the wife and I are expecting our first in the new year the budget strings are getting tighter... I've probably burnt money buying one of these but will report back on how I find it, I think I forgot the old rule of, if it sounds too good to be true (cheap new keg) it probably is!

Cheers,
Stu

If it has the overlap like MHB says, I suggest using both heat and chemical means to sanitise. So throw a boiled kettle of water in there before sanitising, seal, shake up, move around so all surfaces inside get some contact time and then run through posts with built up pressure. Then sanitise.

zx, clearly the problem here lies with the SWMBO - swap / sell it now while you can!

Says in the ebay listing "Sanitary welding throughout" so possibly the insides aren't as rough as the outside looks. Just a thought

Be good if kegKing did a bulk buy on corneys

Got my camera out and the new keg to show everyone what I've found, please excuse the pic heavy post
not sure if there are any rules against me posting photos of products here? Can't see why there would be, if there is please let me know and I will remove them, just want to show everyone the keg and you can form your own opinions after that...

Firstly in the box with the keg is a little plastic packet containing a spring for the PRV and a note, as shown here:
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004_1.jpg

seems a little odd to me, but hey more safety is surely a good thing!

the PRV itself is a different design to the standard corny kegs, it can't be locked open.
IMG_0016.jpg

the welds for the locking handle are a little rough compared to the corny style lids.
IMG_0015.jpg

external welds at the bottom of the keg
IMG_0006.jpg

one of the posts has a kanckered seal on it, they are all quite hard I think, maybe new old stock and just haven't gone the distance... no big deal but for a new product not great
IMG_0011.jpg

looking inside the keg
IMG_0017.jpg

Bizier, MHB is right, there is overlap and the internals of the keg aren't welded, I can't see how you can completely sanitise in this situation...
same edge top and bottom of the keg
IMG_0022.jpg

not what I would consider sanitary welds, so I think I'll be sending it back for the 7 day money back deal... lose a bit on the shipping but hey, learning a lesson for everyone...

at the end of the day it is a cheap brand new keg, probably fine for soda water, etc. not something I would put beer in, others may beg to differ on that point - let me know if you do as if it is possible to use it I would still like to, I just can't see how it can be cleaned and santised properly...

kymba, too late, nearly 2 years married and a bun in the oven haha nah all in all she is very understanding of things I do, would be hard pressed to find someone to replace her and put up with me lol

Pennywise, as per the photos, not quite what I would consider sanitary welding, might be wrong though...

again if the photos/comments are not appropriate for any reason I'm happy to remove them, I don't want to start a fight or ruin anyones reputation or anything and I love the AHB forums, always full of great information...

Cheers

Got my camera out and the new keg to show everyone what I've found, please excuse the pic heavy post
not sure if there are any rules against me posting photos of products here? Can't see why there would be, if there is please let me know and I will remove them, just want to show everyone the keg and you can form your own opinions after that...

Firstly in the box with the keg is a little plastic packet containing a spring for the PRV and a note, as shown here:
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004_1.jpg

seems a little odd to me, but hey more safety is surely a good thing!

the PRV itself is a different design to the standard corny kegs, it can't be locked open.
IMG_0016.jpg

the welds for the locking handle are a little rough compared to the corny style lids.
IMG_0015.jpg

external welds at the bottom of the keg
IMG_0006.jpg

one of the posts has a kanckered seal on it, they are all quite hard I think, maybe new old stock and just haven't gone the distance... no big deal but for a new product not great
IMG_0011.jpg

looking inside the keg
IMG_0017.jpg

Bizier, MHB is right, there is overlap and the internals of the keg aren't welded, I can't see how you can completely sanitise in this situation...
same edge top and bottom of the keg
IMG_0022.jpg

not what I would consider sanitary welds, so I think I'll be sending it back for the 7 day money back deal... lose a bit on the shipping but hey, learning a lesson for everyone...

at the end of the day it is a cheap brand new keg, probably fine for soda water, etc. not something I would put beer in, others may beg to differ on that point - let me know if you do as if it is possible to use it I would still like to, I just can't see how it can be cleaned and santised properly...

kymba, too late, nearly 2 years married and a bun in the oven haha nah all in all she is very understanding of things I do, would be hard pressed to find someone to replace her and put up with me lol

Pennywise, as per the photos, not quite what I would consider sanitary welding, might be wrong though...

again if the photos/comments are not appropriate for any reason I'm happy to remove them, I don't want to start a fight or ruin anyones reputation or anything and I love the AHB forums, always full of great information...

Cheers

I bought a couple of the 23litre ones when they first came on the market here in AUS.
Mine aren't as rough as your pics indicate but I agree that they are poorly made.
The reason for the LP relief valve is that the first ones only came with the HP valve and if someone applied too much CO2 pressure the bottom of the keg would "pop" out of original shape.
Both mine have "popped" but are still quite useable. I was originally banging the bottom back into shape with a rubber hammer but it is really not necessary.
There was a stand available for the faulty ones but if you used it, it would defeat the purpose of the lower height dimension if compared to a corny.
The later manufactured ones weren't supposed to "pop" but don't quote me.
They are a problem when you use boiling water to sanitise as there is no way to hold onto the "suckers" without getting burnt.
I think someone on here put insulation around the handles on his to help with hot handling.
I believe that these kegs are made in China and all I can say is if you buy them from a retailer in this country them someone is making a lot of money as in my opinion they are not worth what the brew shops are currently asking.

On the up side of these kegs they do hold 23 litre as opposed to 19 litre corny which, in my opinion, is a pain in the arse size.
There low height gives you a lot more flexibility in your brew fridge in some cases. IE with a shelf you can have two high.
I have had no trouble with cleaning these kegs and I feel that they are easier to clean than my corny's except of course for the heat problem.

I will add that I have had my two for six years now and with use almost constantly they are still going strong.

The choice is yours :lol: :lol:

Cheers

I got two of these some time back off ebay and found the same thing about the overlap weld inside and was worried about cleaning etc. Ive used them a few times with no problems but the normal corny kegs are fare superior. they will come in usefull for something eventually.

Dicko, yours are totally different kegs to Zxhoon's.

Yours are imported & distributed by Morgans. Zxhoon's are currently being imported & distributed by Keg King & are a totally different design & most likely a different manufacturer. But yes, both made in China.

Cheers Ross

Dicko, yours are totally different kegs to Zxhoon's.

Yours are imported & distributed by Morgans. Zxhoon's are currently being imported & distributed by Keg King & are a totally different design & most likely a different manufacturer. But yes, both made in China.

Cheers Ross

Hi Ross,

You have a good memory. We talked about the replacement seals at the time.
My kegs have better welding inside than the above pics but there is still an overlap in the sides.
I have had no probs with mine except the fact that you have nowhere to hang onto the bloody things once you have poured hot water in them.
If the price reflected the quality then a lot more people may consider them.

:icon_offtopic:
I have an assortment of kegs and what I consider to be the best ones are Mytton Rodd brand.
I have 2 x 46 litre soda kegs and they are bullet proof. Only down side is the "racetrack" type lids.
These kegs are like Hens Teeth ;) and you only ever see them for sale occassionally. I guess this reflects the number that were in circulation when soda kegs were the go.

Cheers

Just thought I should update, I sent the keg back today and received a a refund today, very quick and pleasant service, and I will be buying some more gear from Keg King in future, just not these kegs!

Cheers

One thing I forgot to mention it is really easy for the PRV to leak beer while filling or transporting these, because the keyring bit levers it open really easily. If you bump it it can spray out beer all over the shop. I don't know why it bothers me, but I dislike that the lid only goes on one way because of the post placement.

Back