Keg King Mash Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
I just went to use my new mash paddle & wondering if anyone else using these gets this as well.
When it's placed in boiling water, it fizzes like a bitch. Just like tossing an Aspro Clear into a glass of water.
The timber is NZ wood & it's just Radiata Pine which is a pretty open structured timber. The mash paddle is just taking in the water & releasing air but not too sure if that's a good or bad thing. I'm wondering if the Radiata would release any flavours into the beer at all.
Anyone using the same paddle care to shed some light on it. I'll send Kee from Keg King an email with some photos to find out what they think.
Mash Paddle

20150910_102809 (Small).jpg

20150910_102917.jpg

Crusty said:
I just went to use my new mash paddle & wondering if anyone else using these gets this as well.
When it's placed in boiling water, it fizzes like a bitch. Just like tossing an Aspro Clear into a glass of water.
The timber is NZ wood & it's just Radiata Pine which is a pretty open structured timber. The mash paddle is just taking in the water & releasing air but not too sure if that's a good or bad thing. I'm wondering if the Radiata would release any flavours into the beer at all.
Anyone using the same paddle care to shed some light on it. I'll send Kee from Keg King an email with some photos to find out what they think.
Mash Paddle

attachicon.gif
20150910_102809 (Small).jpg

attachicon.gif
20150910_102917.jpg
I've only ever placed mine in the mash tun, so haven't noticed this.

Get him to give you a stainless steel one as a replacement? They are the shiznit!

you're using NZ malt yeah?

..sorry couldn't help myself

Gas (oxygen) is less soluble in water at higher temps, which is way boiling water deoxygenates it.

The oxygen trapped in the grain of the mash paddle is getting pushed out and as it isn't soluble in the water it is getting pushed out of the water too.

EDIT: off flavours though I dunno? If it is clean I don't think it would

Thanks guys.
I'm in contact with Kee via email so we'll see what the outcome is.

I was advised that the fizzing could be from residual PBW in my Braumeister so I thoroughly cleaned everything including the mash paddle.
I then tested the mash paddle in plain tap water in a brand new saucepan & guess what???? Still fizzing!
Looks like my new mash paddle might end up as BBQ fuel.
I tasted the water that the paddle was fizzing away in & I can't detect any wood flavour at all & I have been advised that the wood is untreated. Maybe it's fine but I'm a little baffled about the Aspro Clear performance.
Who else has one of these?

Couldn't it just be trillions of nucleation points on the wood causing vaporisation of the boiling water? I wouldn't be concerned.

Black n Tan said:
Couldn't it just be trillions of nucleation points on the wood causing vaporisation of the boiling water? I wouldn't be concerned.
Your probably right & it's probably nothing to worry about but it's not from the outside of the paddle.
It's coming from the inside of the timber. When speaking to Keg King they said it was odd that it's fizzing so that concerned me somewhat.
As above, I can't taste anything that resembles timber but you can smell it.
Pine wood Ale, there's a possibility.

Latest posts

Back