keg king maltmuncher ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
heya

currently get my grain milled from the HBS but with a new baby at home my brewing plans are gonna often get delayed

thinking of getting a mill so I can mill myself when I know i'm gonna brew rather than have milled grain sitting around when things go off the rails

I do 20 to 27 L batches with grain bills from 5kg to 7kg .BIAB in a 50 l pot .

the keg king 3 roller ones seem to be about the top of the price point Id like to pay.

Do these last and do the business or should I look at the more expensive models ?

Last edited:
I have had one for a few years now, in fact I have the 2 roller and the 3, I have never had a problem with either. If it is price point then that is the one to get, I use a bit of wheat malt in my beers that makes me cringe when it goes through the rollers, sounds like its breaking up pebbles.

I have had one for a few years now, in fact I have the 2 roller and the 3, I have never had a problem with either. If it is price point then that is the one to get, I use a bit of wheat malt in my beers that makes me cringe when it goes through the rollers, sounds like its breaking up pebbles.
Which of the two is better in your opinion @malt and barley blues? Have you compared them to either the Mattmill, or the Mash Master? If so, what are the key differences?

Does anybody else have experience using one of the lower price point mills and compared them with a higher priced unit?

Which of the two is better in your opinion @malt and barley blues? Have you compared them to either the Mattmill, or the Mash Master? If so, what are the key differences?

Does anybody else have experience using one of the lower price point mills and compared them with a higher priced unit?
I have the Matt Mill I also have had the KK 2 roller mill the Matt Mill is a terrific unit but at the end of the day they both crush grain and if the settings are right there is no difference. If price is the sticking point go for the cheaper one, in a couple of years the OP may be in a better financial situation to get a more expensive mill. (and hopefully longer lasting)

I recently bought a 3 roller malt muncher - and have done 2 brews
I cant get mine right at all..
The top roller ( not the one where the handle connects to) does not turn properly and it takes me ages to crush the grain - doing half turns one way and then back again - very frustrating - yet to work out why
I also cant get the adjustments right - I have a feeler gauge but getting to the bottom and top rollers is a pain
If I had to buy another I would get a 2 roller - does the same thing and is simpler

Agree with above, Just go the 2 roller mill. A mate of mine uses the 2 roller KK mill and he hand cranks. Gets a good looking crush. But run it with a drill (unless it's a really slow drill around 80 rpm) and it rips the grain apart.

As for the longevity of these, they aren't built like the Mash master fluted mill but for the occasional brew, especially if you hand crank they will last a very long time.

I recently bought a 3 roller malt muncher - and have done 2 brews
I cant get mine right at all..
The top roller ( not the one where the handle connects to) does not turn properly and it takes me ages to crush the grain - doing half turns one way and then back again - very frustrating - yet to work out why
I also cant get the adjustments right - I have a feeler gauge but getting to the bottom and top rollers is a pain
If I had to buy another I would get a 2 roller - does the same thing and is simpler
Are you using the markings on the side to set the rollers?

Markings on my Malt Muncher seemed awkward to use so I got a spark plug gapping tool.
The first mill I got delivered had a busted roller. It was melted/squashed on one side and didn't roll true. Second one seems better.

Im not sure what the issue is with mine - I tried following some videos on setting up the right gap
I bought a base with mine and I am currently thinking that maybe when the mill is bolted to the base - that perhaps the holes in the base ( was pre-drilled) are slightly too close and its preventing my roller form turning freely. I have to take the whole hopper assembly off the mill to adjust it (using a feeler gauge) which is also a pain.
I only intend on had cranking it -which seemed ok the first time I used it - but the crush was too fine - which is why I have tried to adjust it since.

its sounding like a bit of a pass .I hate any kind of gear that doesn't work well .

with the baby my beer budget is cut for rest of the year so I'm going to be brewing everything we drink ,so Ill be brewing every 2 to 3 weeks

might have to squirrel away some cash for the mill master

I set mine on the 0.063 mark and it works well, just check if the rollers are parallel.

I set mine on the 0.063 mark and it works well, just check if the rollers are parallel.
hmm from memory there are two markings for .63 ( at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock)
My last attempt was at the 12 o'clock position.
But as I mentioned - my second top roller does not turn properly

Im not sure what the issue is with mine - I tried following some videos on setting up the right gap
I bought a base with mine and I am currently thinking that maybe when the mill is bolted to the base - that perhaps the holes in the base ( was pre-drilled) are slightly too close and its preventing my roller form turning freely. I have to take the whole hopper assembly off the mill to adjust it (using a feeler gauge) which is also a pain.
I only intend on had cranking it -which seemed ok the first time I used it - but the crush was too fine - which is why I have tried to adjust it since.

Have a look at grain conditioning, it allows the husk to stay more intact and a slightly finer grind if you want. I hand crank a 2 roller and get a good crush with pretty good efficiency.

Latest posts

Back