Keg King Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kingy said:
When ya standing near one and it blows a blue flame half a metre towards you ya wont buy another one.
well, being adjacent when mine blew was scary for me but obviously not scary enough ... Lol

droid said:
well, being adjacent when mine blew was scary for me but obviously not scary enough ... Lol
I have been scarily close to these when they finally "let go"

Im trying to avoid the looped type elements purely because the SS stick would be easiest to clean/scrub.

If your going down the self or sparky wire up then I'd recommend Camco water heater elements.

Had a 3800W running in a HLT for over 2 years now.

Hey, my original and only KK element has been running a HLT for over two years too. Maybe I need to do a Youtube promo...

I used one in my original herms unit with no problems. Do they just blow when they are used to boil and ok in an HLT/HERMS/RIMS setting? Just curious.

My old one melted its wiring after about a year and I've been looking at options. Just saw they have a new model out and I'm still sucked in by the convenience of the plug and play. Any experience?

Phil

I didn't realise there was a new design, but you're right. I had the second generation and like most who owned one, fizzed it out after a few brews. Even if the new version is the goods, I would personally recommend NOT buying it based on the history of these elements. They were clearly not suitable for commercial sale, posed a genuine safety risk to users with a phenomenal failure rate, but year after year remained on shelves despite the feedback. I would recommend not buying them and use reputable products from other suppliers despite to lure of plug and play. You don't want to be the guinea pig.

I found it incredibly hard to find any feedback on the latest iteration. I couldn't find any feedback during the last ~2 years. To me that seems like a good sign.

I never used the old ones. The one we just bought looks sturdy. But it's only 2 brews in now so I guess time will tell.

merged in to previous thread

I just got one of the new ones from craftbrewer yesterday after my old one blew (it still lasted a year and a half). I asked if they had any problems with the new version and they claimed to have not had any returns of the new model.

I showed my f'ed one to my bro in law who is a sparky. He said that the wiring was probably damaged and the problem started there. I do remember a incident now I think back. He said it all looked fine otherwise and suggested I re wire it. So, all re done and sealed up went five for the brew today, no heating up wires or any of the sort. I'll still get a five star if they are ever in stock again.

I have two of the 'new generation' KK elements & was thinking they must've fixed the issues coz I've brewed a shitload of batches using them.

Well, they haven't. Just plugged the 2nd one in to ramp up to mash out & it blew, shooting out a massive spark about one foot. Made a hell of a noise too, glad I wasn't standing too close or I probably wouldn't be here typing this.

Good feedback. I stand by my remarks. Many other good makes out there with a proven track record. These aren't with the risk.

breakbeer said:
I have two of the 'new generation' KK elements & was thinking they must've fixed the issues coz I've brewed a shitload of batches using them.

Well, they haven't. Just plugged the 2nd one in to ramp up to mash out & it blew, shooting out a massive spark about one foot. Made a hell of a noise too, glad I wasn't standing too close or I probably wouldn't be here typing this.
:eek: :huh: :wacko:

Glad to here you survived that failure mate! Also glad I went with 5-star on my rig!

breakbeer said:

Which of the new gen are these, the last of the white or the tapered black ones? I really was hoping they had it fixed by now.

Latest posts

Back