Keg King Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just ordered 3 from their website (I plan on running 2 on my kettle, and want one spare). I did notice the sizes are slightly smaller, and the pic is a stainless bulkhead. But with the $5 discount card from the ebay one, it cost $30.97 all up for 3 posted.

QldKev

Got them in the mail. Look pretty reasonable. I like your setup, seems simple as well.

Just need to decide wether to get a 65-75L pot or go all out on a 90L+ one and grab another element... Do I really need to be albe to do triple batches???

Close up the diacast box and check out the neat looking setup
A very neat job that, but (unless your power-point is above the pot) why does the cord come out the top of the box? Wouldn't there be less stress on the cable if it was out the side?

A very neat job that, but (unless your power-point is above the pot) why does the cord come out the top of the box? Wouldn't there be less stress on the cable if it was out the side?

Yep, I drilled it and then thought exactly the same. The next 2 elements I will be mounting the supply cable out of the side of the box, will even make the wiring a bit neater rather than needing to be cable tied out of the way.

QldKev

Got them in the mail. Look pretty reasonable. I like your setup, seems simple as well.

Just need to decide wether to get a 65-75L pot or go all out on a 90L+ one and grab another element... Do I really need to be albe to do triple batches???

The key is how much beer is consumed at your place, and how often you want to brew.

At my place we get through at least a keg a week. When I started brewing I was making single size batches, hence had to brew every week. The fun of that wore of quick. Then I tried a duel setup (ie 2 full BIAB systems side by side) and then upgraded one side to a double batch, so 3 cubes a run. Running the duel system meant I had to be more organised and brewing was no longer such a simple fun thing to do. Finally I tried a single vessel quad batch, which I found was fun again and awesome for catching up, but started to get a bit big for normal brewing, as I wasn't brewing as often as I wanted. My new 3V is designed around a triple, but will do a double, or if I do 2 batch sparges I can push a quad. I will have 3 elements in the 140L kettle So depending on the batch I can just run one or two, or even all three.

QldKev

looks good kev.
you might be interested to know the 2kw and 3kw bush spacings are the same. I am hoping their 4kw is aswell.
3kw
IMG_0521.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 22
looks good kev.
you might be interested to know the 2kw and 3kw bush spacings are the same. I am hoping their 4kw is aswell.
3kw
View attachment 54441

They look good, are they from the same supplier? I noticed on your ones the bushes are all s/s, on mine it had brass.
Also I noticed on the 2kw, from ebay shows brass brass bushes, but their own website shows all s/s

If they are all the same sized mount it would make changing easy later, just get a new element and cable and bolt it in.

QldKev

They look good, are they from the same supplier? I noticed on your ones the bushes are all s/s, on mine it had brass.
Also I noticed on the 2kw, from ebay shows brass brass bushes, but their own website shows all s/s

Got them from the same mob. The 3kw are all stainless and 2kw have brass bushes. I reckon they're good value.

The key is how much beer is consumed at your place, and how often you want to brew.

At my place we get through at least a keg a week. When I started brewing I was making single size batches, hence had to brew every week. The fun of that wore of quick. Then I tried a duel setup (ie 2 full BIAB systems side by side) and then upgraded one side to a double batch, so 3 cubes a run. Running the duel system meant I had to be more organised and brewing was no longer such a simple fun thing to do. Finally I tried a single vessel quad batch, which I found was fun again and awesome for catching up, but started to get a bit big for normal brewing, as I wasn't brewing as often as I wanted. My new 3V is designed around a triple, but will do a double, or if I do 2 batch sparges I can push a quad. I will have 3 elements in the 140L kettle So depending on the batch I can just run one or two, or even all three.

QldKev

The issue I have is I am looking at moving into a sharehouse that will most likely be with some friends in the next few months. I can imagine wanting to get some more brewing output in that situation.

Currently I'm struggling to just get 40L batches with a 50L keggle and some pots on the stove for the extra. I was going to put another keggle together to act as a HLT and to do some of the boiling once the last sparge is in the mash tun, but I decided to make things simpler so that brewing was less work instead of working too much on brew days to get more volume out.

Currently I'm putting together a 20ish L 1V recirculating system but I'm planning on doing a bigger brother of it that runs off the same controller but with a bigger volume and pump.

edit: To bring it back on topic I have used one of the earlier models for quite a number of brews in the Keggle mentioned above and will be used in the 1v system I'm putting together as well. No Issues so far.

I fired up the new element for it's first batch yesterday.

This is the element I'm referring too
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=905407

At the moment I only have one element in the kettle, for the size of the boil I will be using 3 when they arrive.

As soon as the first runnings covered the element I hit the power and let it commence heating it up the wort while I sparged. With just the one element in so much wort, as expected, it could not come to the boil, but was definitely heating the wort. Once I finished the batch sparge into the kettle I fired up the NASA for the main boil. I had to drop the NASA back quite a bit to hold a decent boil. At the end of the 60min boil I turned off the LPG, and the electric element managed to hold a small boil until I turned it off. I suspect with decent insulation and just 2 elements I may have enough potential to hold a decent boil. After draining I noticed there was a bit of white build up on the element. Once cool it wiped away easily with the sponge and the element looks new. QldKev is happy. B)

QldKev

Great to hear Kev!

I'm still persisting with my KK elements until they fail.

I did come up with some sort of a 'solution' to the fraying/melting cables problem. Picture below (cable ties around the black sheath so that the cable doesn't 'sag' at the entry point, hopefully preventing the insulation melting and the copper cables being exposed....maybe...)

Cable_Tie_Element.jpg

Seems to work OK, but still getting a 'melting plastic' smell from the HLT element when it fires up, so sure this will fail sooner rather than later. 2x Kettle elements (pictured) going great to be honest, and they are on for a 90 min boil constantly.

Cheers

Great to hear Kev!

I'm still persisting with my KK elements until they fail.

I did come up with some sort of a 'solution' to the fraying/melting cables problem. Picture below (cable ties around the black sheath so that the cable doesn't 'sag' at the entry point, hopefully preventing the insulation melting and the copper cables being exposed....maybe...)

View attachment 54533

Seems to work OK, but still getting a 'melting plastic' smell from the HLT element when it fires up, so sure this will fail sooner rather than later. 2x Kettle elements (pictured) going great to be honest, and they are on for a 90 min boil constantly.

Cheers

Good idea with the plastic ties.

I agree, If I had elements already in the kettle I wouldn't be changing them. I'm leaving the KK elements in my HLT until they fail.

The white plastic on that left one looks like it's been getting pretty hot.

QldKev

Yeah, did melt first brew somewhat before I thought of the cable ties.

Also had a small (and I mean small - 1cm puddle in 90 mins) leak through the wall of the pot in yesterday's brew, hence the colour. Once wiped off (after the photo, of course!), was back to white, but there is a small gap there. Best keep an eye on it for now.

If it does fail, have plans to solder 4mm2 cable to the element, then house in a small plastic adaptable box, with a IEC male socket to take the standard IEC/kettle cable.

Cheers

If I hadn't the 33mm hole (tailor-made for the now defunct Keg King element) in the side of my new HLT I'd be giving serious thought to Kev's latest (two holes required) ss elements.
I know I could get myself a one inch screw-in type element that would need a slightly larger hole but am taking the easy (& cheaper for me) way out & upgrading (with a blatent plug for CraftBrewer service :p ) to a plug & play 2000w copper element which although not as powerful as a 2400w, will hopefully last for many years in my HLT & save me the hassle of getting an enclosure, wiring up, etc.
Please note that this is for the HLT & not for use in the kettle which is gas-fired. :)

TP

Yeah, did melt first brew somewhat before I thought of the cable ties.

Also had a small (and I mean small - 1cm puddle in 90 mins) leak through the wall of the pot in yesterday's brew, hence the colour. Once wiped off (after the photo, of course!), was back to white, but there is a small gap there. Best keep an eye on it for now.

If it does fail, have plans to solder 4mm2 cable to the element, then house in a small plastic adaptable box, with a IEC male socket to take the standard IEC/kettle cable.

Cheers
Hey nick old buddy old pal, if that soldering works, can u hook me up with something similar?

2000w Vs 2400w shouldn't make a massive difference in a HLT setup, but for a kettle, you're losing approx. 17% of your heating power, so would perhaps (depending on insulation) make a big difference to boil vigour and boil off rates.

HLT wise, no probs though Pete. Should have let me know you were looking for something. I have several bolt-on 2200-2400w elements at home...

Cheers

Hey nick old buddy old pal, if that soldering works, can u hook me up with something similar?

When I found that my Keg King element was leaking even with the supplied silicone washer I replaced the silicone washer with one of those orange heat-proof "O" rings that Ross sells for sealing off ss 1\2" all-thread in kettles, etc. It's a very tight fit but works well.

TP

Just saw your post Nick ---- Buggerit! :beer:

Dan - sure, but I'm waiting until element failure to even try.

Pete - Bugger indeed! BUT, with the elements I have, you would need to drill bolt holes in your vessel. They're HWS elements. Thanks for the hint on the CB O-Rings though. Will try that as the silicone washer I'm using is distorting when screwed on tightly.

Cheers

Dan - sure, but I'm waiting until element failure to even try.

Pete - Bugger indeed! BUT, with the elements I have, you would need to drill bolt holes in your vessel. They're HWS elements. Thanks for the hint on the CB O-Rings though. Will try that as the silicone washer I'm using is distorting when screwed on tightly.

Cheers

Nickster,
Well aware that I'd need to drill more holes for a bolt-in element but would have been willing if I'd found out in time. :icon_cheers:

Re the "O" ring, you won't be sorry. ;)

TP

PS --- Unless you've grossly over-enlarged your hole of course? :ph34r:

I'm not from up 'Your Way' Pete, so my hole is regular, normal size.

;)

Cheers

Just remember to use lube before trying to insert it into the hole.

Latest posts

Back