Keg Infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchjazz

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

I put down a brew last Tuesday took a reading yesterday and it was all good to keg. I tasted it out of the test after doing an FG test and it tasted fine. So I kegged, purged and disconnected and left overnight to chill. I than tapped it this morning to have another little sample and it tasted a little off. I cleaned and sterilized my kegs well. If the was an infection would you taste it this soon? It would only have been around 10 hours from fermenter to keg?

Cheers..

Hi Brewers,

I put down a brew last Tuesday took a reading yesterday and it was all good to keg. I tasted it out of the test after doing an FG test and it tasted fine. So I kegged, purged and disconnected and left overnight to chill. I than tapped it this morning to have another little sample and it tasted a little off. I cleaned and sterilized my kegs well. If the was an infection would you taste it this soon? It would only have been around 10 hours from fermenter to keg?

Cheers..

Wait, you brewed last Tuesday (2 days ago) and kegged it yesterday (1 day ago)?

Nah, that's how it's supposed to taste.

Enjoy!

BF

might be the yeast settling in the keg you're tasting? How does it taste/smell, besides 'off'?

Mikk, extremely bitter. Much more than the day before when I took an OG reading. And a slight taste of some chemical. But I use Morgans sanitizer and rinse extremely well. There is no obvious scent in the keg before I filled with beer.

Tasted fine going into the keg.
10 Hours Pass
Tastes bitter and chemical like coming out of the keg.

The only thing that has changed is the container it's sitting in

My Assumption is that you have left sanitiser in your keg, possibly trapped in your dip tube.
But you may have already resigned yourself to that not being the case.

Take a bottle to your HBS and get them to taste it.
OR, buy a stubbie of beer and put a couple of drops of your sanitiser in, does it have the same bitterness\chemical taste?

BF

Good idea bf. I'll try testing a little sanitizer in a stubble. There way of been some in the tube?

Good idea bf. I'll try testing a little sanitizer in a stubble. There way of been some in the tube?

Mitch, i wouldn't worry mate.

First pull from a keg i would just turf, will have all sediment, sanitizer dregs, stuff in the lines, stuff in the dip tube etc. Pull a pint and turf if then let the keg settle in again and get the carb levels right.

Return later and enjoy.

If it wasn't infected in the fermenter, then < 24 hours later at fridge temp under CO2 i doubt it would be so..... (but there is always a possibility it could be so).

Cheers
D80

Back