Keg Cutting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danial

Reaction score
I was lucky enought to get my hands on 14x pub kegs.

Im also lucky to have a boil maker thats o so willing to help me turn them into 20 litre kegs by removing a section out of the center of the keg and welding, for beers in return!

Could I sell the finished product some how without getting into trouble? Im sure you guys would love to get your hands on them ,

I will be filling the keg with argon gas aswell.

Could I see the finised product some how without getting into trouble

If what you meant was "sell the finished product" then I figure you may have come to the wrong forum, luck or no luck those kegs are probably the property of a brewery.
Just cutting up an "old" keg to use as a boiler is bad enough, and I have no doubt that CUB and Tooheys are well aware of a tiny leakage of their stocks, and nothing is going to help you if the cops come knockin' at your door and find that CUB keg you stole (or received) and cut up.
If you are absolutely sure of the provenance of the kegs, and absolutely sure that they are legally yours well I guess you do with them what you want, otherwise cutting and re-selling $3000 of someone else's property...gaol homebrew is really not what you want to get a taste for...

K

Ditto to that

I was lucky enought to get my hands on 14x pub kegs.

Im also lucky to have a boil maker thats o so willing to help me turn them into 20 litre kegs by removing a section out of the center of the keg and welding, for beers in return!

Could I see the finised product some how without getting into trouble? Im sure you guys would love to get your hands on them ,

I will be filling the keg with argon gas aswell.

as above,
now that thats been said it's a good idea to purge with argon if you want a tidy weld inside.

cheers

Go to ebay and type in keg , its on the last page.

If its the one I'm coming up with then it will probably get shut down pretty quickly. Its a 30L keg (can't make out brewery name) and 20L Heine keg. As they are both clearly labelled with the brewery names they are the property of those breweries.
I'm sure there are quite a few people on here that might have a pub keg in use in their homebrew systems but it is illegal. Even more illegal is selling stolen goods, so advertising on the net that you want to sell stolen kegs is probably not a good idea. If you want to go ahead with the cutting, keep it on the down low and use them yourself.

The kegs are not stolen they have been sittng in a old blokes shed for some time, the a twist coupling type.

My question is wil they make good kegs cut down?

I've brought 2 keg couplings of ebay and I was given a mircomatic coupler,

So far i have 2x19 post mix kegs, 2x soft serve and how ever many 50 litre kegs i wish to use.

The kegs are not stolen they have been sittng in a old blokes shed for some time, the a twist coupling type.

My question is wil they make good kegs cut down?

I've brought 2 keg couplings of ebay and I was given a mircomatic coupler,

So far i have 2x19 post mix kegs, 2x soft serve and how ever many 50 litre kegs i wish to use.

What company name if any, is stamped on the kegs? It doesn't matter how long they have been sat in some old blokes shed, that doesn't make them legal.

In answer to your question...cut down or not, yes they make good kegs, if that's what you're after, personally i prefer 19L post mix kegs for ease of fittings & cleaning.

Cheers Ross

Sorry my bad Im the middle of bottling a few batches, whats the max pressure a full keg will be under? Trying to get a figure so i can pressure test once welded.

i really think you would be better off with post mix!, pros n cons for both. Do more reading, researching,heaps of info here and elsewhere re. kegging, trying to save a few $`s at the start is not going too help in the long run.
I would be surprised if that ebay still holds up by this time tomorrow.
Good Luck

why do you want to go to all the effort in cutting down 50 l keg to 20 l , which will make squat and harder for people to fit into keg fridges .
cornies are much easier to use . if the kegs do not belong to any breweries sell them as 50 l kegs as there are people who will use them .
cheers paul

Sorry my bad Im the middle of bottling a few batches, whats the max pressure a full keg will be under? Trying to get a figure so i can pressure test once welded.

The pressure rating will be stamped on the keg .... right beside the name of the brewery and words similar to "This keg always belongs to ....." Any unauthorised withholding or use of a brewery's keg is theft. Cutting them up would probably add malicious damage to the charges.

The replacement cost of the kegs is around $170 (and 10 months wait for production) so as PoMo has stated the value of this theft is substantial.

Please don't do it.

Latest posts

Back