Keeping Crushed Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWB

Reaction score
Just a quickie guys, : :unsure:

How long can I keep crushed grain.?

The reason I ask is because I havent yet got a grain mill and will have to order my grain for a few trial partials already chushed.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

JWB

I've read somewhere on the forum, kept in an airtight container, 2 weeks max. Not 100% sure though but a good guide i guess.

Really? I remember reading recently that it was months, not weeks :huh:

Not sure myself :)

PZ.

I'm not 100% sure but I thought a few weeks at the most was best.

I'm interested if someone has an explanation of WHAT 'over-storage' will do - will the resulting beer just taste 'off', or are there other impacts (like oxidation/degradation of the starches or enzymes)?

Crushed grain wont really last more than a couple of weeks before it starts to degrade as it will absorb moisture and lose its enzyme power

I have used crushed grain that was frozen for over 6mnths and had no problems with it

Crushed grain wont really last more than a couple of weeks before it starts to degrade as it will absorb moisture and lose its enzyme power

And that's basically the answer to how long you can store crushed grain. If you can keep it dry, theoretically it will last as long as uncracked grain. But the chances of keeping it completely dry are slim.
If it is in sealed plastic bags you could probably push it to a few months.
The longest I've kept grain after crushing - in sealed bags - was about 4 weeks.

I thought the grain that is Vacuumed sealed as in craftbrewers will last many months.

Ross???????????

Rook

I thought the grain that is Vacuumed sealed as in craftbrewers will last many months.

Ross???????????

Rook

Sure will Rook - CraftBrewer supply their cracked grain under a full commercial vacuum. Just store cool until ready to use.

Cheers Ross

I'm interested if someone has an explanation of WHAT 'over-storage' will do - will the resulting beer just taste 'off', or are there other impacts (like oxidation/degradation of the starches or enzymes)?

I'd be interested in this answer too. I was given some cracked grain left over from a microbrewery grist. Not sure how long it has been stored, but its been kept cool and dry.

I don't want to waste it, but would it even be viable?

Edit: It tastes just fine...

Storing crushed grain has two problems. Loss of enzymes and oxidisation of the germ.

Enzymes are the protiens that break the long chain starches or flours in barley into the short chain sachaarides or malt sugars that the yeast convert. They are produced in the barley when it is malted or sprouted. Exposure to air apparently causes them to degrade. The older your crushed ma;ted barley, the fewer of these enzymes are left. The barley is called "slack" when there is poor enzymic activity.

Oxidisation of the germ is nasty. The germ contains oils that change flavour or are oxidised when exposed to air. Oxidised germ tastes rank. Users of flour know that white flour stores readily. Wholemeal flour does not store well because the germ oxidises and the flour goes rancid.

There is an excellent article on the BYO site about grain storage.

Ross provides his grain vacuum packed.

As to how long you can store crushed grain, I do not know the exact answer as the grain is crushed as needed. Store it cool and dry in a sealed container, this may give you a few weeks. Uncrushed, you get a few years out of base grains. Specialty grains are alot less.

Storing crushed grain has two problems. Loss of enzymes and oxidisation of the germ.

Enzymes are the protiens that break the long chain starches or flours in barley into the short chain sachaarides or malt sugars that the yeast convert. They are produced in the barley when it is malted or sprouted. Exposure to air apparently causes them to degrade. The older your crushed ma;ted barley, the fewer of these enzymes are left. The barley is called "slack" when there is poor enzymic activity.

Oxidisation of the germ is nasty. The germ contains oils that change flavour or are oxidised when exposed to air. Oxidised germ tastes rank. Users of flour know that white flour stores readily. Wholemeal flour does not store well because the germ oxidises and the flour goes rancid.

There is an excellent article on the BYO site about grain storage.

Ross provides his grain vacuum packed.

As to how long you can store crushed grain, I do not know the exact answer as the grain is crushed as needed. Store it cool and dry in a sealed container, this may give you a few weeks. Uncrushed, you get a few years out of base grains. Specialty grains are alot less.

I have some crushed pale malt grain that has been sitting around for about 3month. The fact that there is less enzyme activity in the grains now, should i use more of it to compensate when i next brew with it?
I got the extra grains crushed as I was told by the HB shop that crushed pale malt grains could last many months provided they are kept in a air tight container and out of direct light. Also, apparently I was told that crushed crystal malt and other malts like it could last even longer.

If you were to use it, I probably wouldn't (depending on the weight of the wallet), I would use some in conjunction with a freshly cracked grain, maybe some of that Galaxy stuff, I think that has extra enzyme activity.

Jason, throw your grain out. Imagine stale coffee beans. Adding more coffee will not disguise the taste.

Note the posts above. Ross sells cracked grain vacuum-sealed cheap as buggery. This is a revolution. Can't tell you how concvenient being able to buy like this is. Now I can order 3 to 4 brews at a time ($6-$7 delivery all up) and brew them when I want.

I got some grain from him on Father's Day, got the flu and haven't brewed since.

In answer to your original question, before, when I ordered cracked grain, I'd force myself to brew within a week no matter the inconvenience.

Cheers
PP

Jason, throw your grain out. Imagine stale coffee beans. Adding more coffee will not disguise the taste.

Note the posts above. Ross sells cracked grain vacuum-sealed cheap as buggery. This is a revolution. Can't tell you how concvenient being able to buy like this is. Now I can order 3 to 4 brews at a time ($6-$7 delivery all up) and brew them when I want.

I got some grain from him on Father's Day, got the flu and haven't brewed since.

In answer to your original question, before, when I ordered cracked grain, I'd force myself to brew within a week no matter the inconvenience.

Cheers
PP

Damn.... I was hoping none of you were going to say " throw it out" I suddenly feel very sick. I have about 7Kg of crushed JW pale malt sitting in my cupboard. I think im still going to brew with it. It would be to wastfull to throw out. I have to invest in a grain crusher.

Get all that cracked grain mashed.

use the 'No Chiller method' , it will last for longer in the wort form in a sealed container .

Pumpy :)

Hi Jason,

If you've kept your cracked grain cool & in an airtight container it should be fine.
it is best to use as soon as possible, but some American maltsters claim it's viable for up to 12 months. Take a taste, if it tastes fresh it'll be fine - if it tastes stale, chuck it out. The pale malt may give you a tad less efficiency, but i wouldn't be too worried.

cheers Ross

Back