Keeping Bottles Warm For Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendanox

Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys have any tips on how to keep your bottles warm during carbonation.

Mine have been sitting in the closet at 14 degrees and not doing anything. I moved them to the living area but I have a high ceilings so the temp only went up to 15 degrees, still too cold!

Any suggestions? I have a heat belt.
Submersing them in water and fish tank heater method is not viable because I don't have the room for a fish tank.

I keep mine in a few milk-crates in the loungeroom, if it's warm enough for me to be comfortable, its warm enough for the yeast to be happy enough to do their thing. ;)

On top of a cupboard in the kitchen works for me. Heat rises.

I recommended making a heat box. Cheap as. made out of an old fridge there should be enough room for a batch of bottles and the fermenter. I live in victoria and this is pretty much necessary.

<h3 class="r" sizcache="108"> </h3>

Any suggestions? I have a heat belt.

Lay your heat belt out and stick your crates/boxes on top of it (maybe have them sitting on top of a couple of planks of wood so that they're not actually touching the heat belt) then throw a a couple of blankets over them.

Depends how quickly you want to drink them. They will carbonate if you leave them long enough. what's you stock on hand?

I don't drink quickly enough. I've got about 3 months stock in hand. Anything will carbonate in that time.

Thanks for your help peeps.

That's a good suggestion stienberg, I'll make up some kind of system like that.
I had just covered them with a towl and put the heat belt sitting on top. But this is a much better idea, the heat rises and the blankets will keep the heat in!
thanks very much.

Yeah hazard, these are my first two batches ever. So I'm quite keen to get drinking :) Also my girlfriend would like to see the benefits of the effort I've been going to :)
One of them is a Bavarian Wheat Beer. And as far as I understand they should be drunk young.
I look forward to having stock though! sounds like a good problem to have!

Yeah, wolfy & tiny tim, I have tried this, but unfortunately it's still too cold in my living area. It's open plan with high ceilings. We get heater pumping but the whole place stays rather cool.

Jesterdarts, yeah i read about a method where you fill the water up to neck, but before the bottle top. To stop the rust.

thanks sic_vl, hotbox is a good idea. If this experiment doesn't work I'll have to make one of them

Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know how it goes

Back