Kaxian impeller not turning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MastersBrewery

Journeyman, the learning never stops
Reaction score
Disaster strikes, got up at 5:30 for brew day, 1v system, filled required strike water started pump. low hum but nothing else, emptied the system pulled down the pump nothing amiss re assemble every thing and tested still nothing, pulled down pump again and with just the impeller in place powered it, not turning.
I really don't want to have to buy another pump HELP!!@!!

Kaxian pump is a magnetic drive yes?

If so the humming is the magnets rotating, check to make sure there is no build up of sticky old wort in the pump impeller mounting hole and the shaft is clean. A little metho will clean it up. It does not take much to slow or stop these things.

What other parts are on pump electronic is there a starter capacitor.

I'll trust you know what you're doing Masters and assume the impeller rotates fairly freely. The motors in these are fairly strong so if there was a bit of stickiness it should still rotate.
I'm pretty confident the magnets have decoupled from the motor inside the housing. A way to check would be to -
Remove impeller assembly
Turn on pump
Stick mild steel bar/skewer/rod into the cavity and feel for some movement.
If the steel bar doesn't want to grab and spin, that's your problem. This is the first failure I've heard of these things, bad luck man. As long as you can pull the motor apart you should be able to glue the drive magnet back in place.

Had the same problem. put some grease on the impeller bearing points.

Ok so fixed it, pulled it down all plastic parts out, powered it up gave the center metal bit a spin and off it went. So waiting to come to the boil, 2 hours late which is a bit of a pain as I was trying to avoid the heat of the day, and the way I'm rigged for power I can't put the AC on till I finish. Not making friends with SWMBO! But looks like all is good.

MB

Good to hear, still give the impeller bush and pump shaft a clean later, it takes very little build up to cause a stuck impeller. Lots of threads here about March pumps with this issue.
Happened to me once as well.

yeah going to do a full strip down and build up, over the next week, 45L into the fermenter, 2 hours late, and not enough wickets in the cricket, will pitch tonight, hopefully a nice Red IPA.

Latest posts

Back