K&k Kilkenny Clone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 DKS

Unfortunately the hops you've got ya yourself aren't really going suit your brew. Nelson Sauvin throws wine/grape kinda flavours that I am finding hard to chew in ya brew, yeah? Same with Centennial. POR maybe the one when I think about it? Spicy and fruity would suit the style? Nothing wrong with POR IMO and is unfortunately an Aussie hop that cops some bad flak for no real reason.

If you need to brew I would use the POR.

Chappo

Here is how I make my Kilkenny style.

Munton's Yorkshire Bitter
500g Dark Dry Malt
500g Dextrose
7.5g Goldings
7.5g Fuggles
Make only 20 litres

I have this on tap all the time. I make up a double batch every 10-14 days and everyone enjoys a glass or 10.

I want to make a Nice drop of this myself, Went into my lhbs (not thaat local) and left with a armfull of gear (and some mighty good advice) Hear me out and help me out as well!

Ok
Morgan's Royal Oak Amber Ale
1kg LDM
Finishing Hops Tettnanger
Finisging Hops Goldings

and a Mysterious package of "Lloyds Lager Booster" 100g

They Recomend a Temp of 26 and seeing Its now coldish, They sold me a "Brew Cellar" Premium Ale Yest, to use instead of the tin yeast..

Instructions
Mix powdered malt in about 2L of warm water, and bring to a Gentle simmer. Once the simmer is establishged put in the Tettnanger hops and continue the simmer for about 10 mins, Remove from heat and add the bad of Goldings hops and give a quick stir, Enouch to wet them, Tip the contents of the sausepan into your fermenter. Add Morgans Amber ale and Lloyd's Lager booster, Top up to 23L
Maintain the temp to 26 degrees.

Ok how does that sound? thats the intructions i was given, and they suggested I change the yeast if not maintaing a 26 degree temp.

any advice?

Wheeler has a recipe for Kilkenny, I usually find him to be pretty much on the money.
Bittering - Challenger and Northdown to about 30 IBU
Taste at 10 minutes - Fuggle 10g
Flame out/aroma - Golding 10g

Kilkenny is ~30 EBC, I would defiantly use amber LME as the ROA and Morgan's Amber will give you about 32 EBC, very close match and tasty!

MHB

Of course, you know the joke about Kilkenny? "Traditional Irish Red Ale invented by Smithwick in 1986" still tasty
m

I want to make a Nice drop of this myself, Went into my lhbs (not thaat local) and left with a armfull of gear (and some mighty good advice) Hear me out and help me out as well!

Ok
Morgan's Royal Oak Amber Ale
1kg LDM
Finishing Hops Tettnanger
Finisging Hops Goldings

and a Mysterious package of "Lloyds Lager Booster" 100g

They Recomend a Temp of 26 and seeing Its now coldish, They sold me a "Brew Cellar" Premium Ale Yest, to use instead of the tin yeast..

Instructions
Mix powdered malt in about 2L of warm water, and bring to a Gentle simmer. Once the simmer is establishged put in the Tettnanger hops and continue the simmer for about 10 mins, Remove from heat and add the bad of Goldings hops and give a quick stir, Enouch to wet them, Tip the contents of the sausepan into your fermenter. Add Morgans Amber ale and Lloyd's Lager booster, Top up to 23L
Maintain the temp to 26 degrees.

Ok how does that sound? thats the intructions i was given, and they suggested I change the yeast if not maintaing a 26 degree temp.

any advice?

Interested to know why they sold you a lager booster for an ale. Presumably it's just something that aids body and head retention.

26 sounds a bit high (I'd aim for 20-22) but the brew cellar ale yeast will work fine below that temp. Most of my brews currently are made with brew cellar english ale, premium ale or american ale. I'm pretty sure they are the same strains as safale 04, 05 etc.

Tettnanger also sounds odd for an irish ale but the end result should be good beer so why worry?

I've just tasted one of the ones that i did in this thread a while ago;

Morgans Royal Oak Can
1.7kg LME (Amber)
500g DME/Dex mix
20g POR 15 mins
10g POR flameout
10g POR dry hopped
Nottingham

Tasting very nice. This is the beer i'm taking to the VIC case swap and i was shooting for a big bodied, malty english ale with low bittering and carbonation. It's spot on. Not a kilkenny clone, maybe it will age to be a bit closer but i'm pretty happy with it as an amber english style beer. Next time i think i would use more traditional english hops and probably bigger late additions - but i was trying to get the malt body to shine through on this one.

"Traditional Irish Red Ale invented by Smithwick in 1986" still tasty

bwwwwaaahhh. :lol: so funny, yet so true....

It might be a wee bit naff, but I've got to admit, I quite like Kilkenny. Although, the last ones that I had seemed to be drier and roastier (in a good way)? or is it a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder?....I wonder...

So would 26c be "right" or with the Brew Celler Premium yeast I could not go the full heat pad thing.

Dunno what temp it is now. But ive got 2 brews going at the mo.
Tohheys Lagar and Tooheys Old, yep just K&K even using the Tooheys tin liquid sugur.

Filled up to 18L and now a week later I think thev'e stalled at 1020

Its ok when a chepo "Wollies" can goes under. so thats why Im a bit woried about the 50$ invenstment on my first kit with "extras"!

Actually, letting it cool a bit would be fine Ade, its actually S-04 (which is an excellent dried yeast) in that BrewCellar Premium Ale sachet, and 18-20 would be optimum. I do wish they wouldn't put instructions like that on the kits/cans or spread such rubbish instructions, it is just plain bullshit.

I find on top of an electric hot water system good at the moment, if its too hot then add some insulation. I have some Windsor there at 20 right this moment and it is very stable with just a jumper. My usual brew fridge is full, otherwise it'd be in there as well, the other is cold crashing a couple of other ales. Anyway, that's my advice.

Latest posts

Back